Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-31-2013, 02:23 PM   #1
Bgoltrk

Raptor MIA

We had our 2010 3912 LEV Raptor in at Camping World for some generator issues. They called on Monday and said it was done. I couldn't get there until Saturday morning. When I got there, I didn't see it and jokingly asked them if they rented it out for the holiday weekend. I got my keys and went out to hook up and go...except I really couldn't find it!

Yep, it appears that someone has stolen my Raptor off of the Camping World lot. Unfortunately, Camping World does not have video survelance outside. The hitch lock was with the trailer but it wasn't on because they needed to move it in and out of the shop.

Have any of you been through a loss like this and do you have any good advice before we begin the process? I've filed a police report and we're planning on going through our local Allstate agent on Tuesday instead of the 800 number. We started a list of inventory for our personal items of value that were in there...at this point, I hope they don't find it.

Thanks in advance.

John
Firestone Airbags
Bgoltrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 03:38 PM   #2
Dhuhn

Sorry for your loss of the raptor but isn't camping world liable for the trailer being stole from there lot. I would think it should be there insurance company the one to pay for the replacement. Just my thought. Good luck with everything

2016 Montana 3720RL
2015 Chevy Silverado 3500 HD Duromax :

previous
2012 Montana High Country 313RE
2012 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duromax
2010 Palimino Bronco
2005 Chevy Silverado CC 1500
Dhuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 03:45 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

I'd think the same. CW lost it, CW is responsible to find it. Surely they've already discussed some of their responsibility with you, if not, by pass the service manager, sales manager and talk to the "he who is in charge" of the entire operation. Either the GM or the owner. Let them know that you expect absolutely ZERO out of pocket expense from their negligence and hold them to it. As for not being able to use your RV during this time, that's also their responsibility and I'm sure that if you push the issue, they will provide you a suitable replacement so you don't lose your travel plans.

Man oh man, I can only imagine the frustration and the disappointment you feel. Let's all hope for a rapid fix to the problem!!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 06:31 PM   #4
Bgoltrk

Thank you. I totally agree with you but i didn't think arguing with store employees working the holiday about fault would accomplish much today. My thoughts at this point are to let my insurance deal with CW and their insurance and argue fault, coverage and reimbursement. But I'm not sure if that's the right approach.

Luckily, we are home and just returned from a two week road trip, so we don't need a loaner. The employees called the store manager who was off today so other than suggesting to report it to police there wasn't much help from him. I believe it's a corporate store and it is a repair shop only. Honestly the whole thing seems surreal and I'm finding this whole day really hard to believe.
Firestone Airbags
Old 08-31-2013, 06:38 PM   #5
tileman

Wow sorry to hear about your trailer.

I would try to talk to your local Allstate agent and see what they say.
I say that camping world should pay for it.

Sad to say I hear a lot of trailers are stolen to pull into the woods and make a meth lab.

Or maybe they just have it on the lot some place if the lot is real big.
Also try here http://www.rv.net/forum/ the guy that runs camping world (marcus) dose look in on the forms and helped me back a few years ago.
Old 08-31-2013, 07:09 PM   #6
Bgoltrk

Quote:
Originally Posted by tileman View Post
Wow sorry to hear about your trailer.

I would try to talk to your local Allstate agent and see what they say.
I say that camping world should pay for it.

Sad to say I hear a lot of trailers are stolen to pull into the woods and make a meth lab.

Or maybe they just have it on the lot some place if the lot is real big.
Also try here http://www.rv.net/forum/ the guy that runs camping world (marcus) dose look in on the forms and helped me back a few years ago.
Ahhh a meth lab's not a happy thought! They dispatched several employees to walk the lot and all reported back without locating the trailer.

Thanks for the info and Marcus' website as well.
Firestone Airbags
Old 08-31-2013, 07:23 PM   #7
hankaye

Bgoltrk, Howdy;

Sorry to hear of your loss.
Just to give you a heads-up ... not meaning to P-- in your Wheaties.

Have you read the fine print at the bottom/back of the work order...
generally there is a disclaimer that removes the Shop/dealership from
any fault from loss or theft or any damage associated from the work
they are doing. Basically they say you can leave it here but if anything happens it not our fault.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:43 AM   #8
Bgoltrk

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankaye View Post
Bgoltrk, Howdy;

Sorry to hear of your loss.
Just to give you a heads-up ... not meaning to P-- in your Wheaties.

Have you read the fine print at the bottom/back of the work order...
generally there is a disclaimer that removes the Shop/dealership from
any fault from loss or theft or any damage associated from the work
they are doing. Basically they say you can leave it here but if anything happens it not our fault.

hankaye
Hi Hankaye, That's exactly why I'm thinking the insurance co can handle it all. They can argue what needs to be argued and they have a legal dept sharper than me in this scenario.
Firestone Airbags
Old 09-01-2013, 10:09 AM   #9
wva3185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgoltrk View Post
Hi Hankaye, That's exactly why I'm thinking the insurance co can handle it all. They can argue what needs to be argued and they have a legal dept sharper than me in this scenario.
IMO you are going in the right direction. Your insurance company sure does not want to pay out so they will deal with CW to try to get them to pay. But as noted by another poster the "weasel words" are generally in the fine print. I hope that it all works out for you.
wva3185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 04:41 PM   #10
Bumper

Quote:
Courts applying anti-indemnity statutes generally uphold the limited form of indemnity wherein the indemnitor is obligated to indemnify the indemnitee only for the indemnitor’s own negligence and the intermediate form wherein the indemnitor agrees to indemnify the indemnitee for any and all liability except such liability arising out of the indemnitee’s sole negligence.
However, courts generally do not uphold the broad form of indemnity in which a party agrees to indemnify another for any liability, including liability resulting from gross negligence or willful misconduct, regardless of which party’s negligence introduces the liability. Failure to secure your property in which CW apparently did would meet the standard of gross negligence. If your insurance company doesn't kick their butt find yourself a good attorney.
Bumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 05:18 PM   #11
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumper View Post
Courts applying anti-indemnity statutes generally uphold the limited form of indemnity wherein the indemnitor is obligated to indemnify the indemnitee only for the indemnitor’s own negligence and the intermediate form wherein the indemnitor agrees to indemnify the indemnitee for any and all liability except such liability arising out of the indemnitee’s sole negligence.
However, courts generally do not uphold the broad form of indemnity in which a party agrees to indemnify another for any liability, including liability resulting from gross negligence or willful misconduct, regardless of which party’s negligence introduces the liability. Failure to secure your property in which CW apparently did would meet the standard of gross negligence. If your insurance company doesn't kick their butt find yourself a good attorney.
What bumper said in big lawyer words is... As long as Camping World takes "reasonable care" of your equipment when it is in their possession, then they have fulfilled their end of the deal.

The point of argument (and subsequent negligence) is... What is reasonable care? And where/when did they have the opportunity to take it but failed to do so.

Hope it works out for you. It sucks for sure!
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:54 PM   #12
hankaye

Bgoltrk, Howdy;

Quote:
We had our 2010 3912 LEV Raptor in at Camping World for some generator issues. They called on Monday and said it was done. I couldn't get there until Saturday morning. When I got there, I didn't see it and jokingly asked them if they rented it out for the holiday weekend. I got my keys and went out to hook up and go...except I really couldn't find it!

Yep, it appears that someone has stolen my Raptor off of the Camping World lot. Unfortunately, Camping World does not have video survelance outside. The hitch lock was with the trailer but it wasn't on because they needed to move it in and out of the shop.
Have any of you been through a loss like this and do you have any good advice before we begin the process? I've filed a police report and we're planning on going through our local Allstate agent on Tuesday instead of the 800 number. We started a list of inventory for our personal items of value that were in there...at this point, I hope they don't find it.

Thanks in advance.

John
I think that if you had supplied them with what you thought was a reasonable form of security (the Lock in the part I highlighted in Red),
and they failed to use it sort of takes the wind out of their sails...
Did you get them to admit it on paper or on tape or something ????

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:30 AM   #13
Bgoltrk

Thanks for the info Bumper and Sad. The trailer had been there for a while during the repair. At one point a couple weeks ago, they called and said it was done so I went up there on that Saturday and the gen started and died 3 times then the batts were dead. I couldn't find the wheel chalks so when I talked to the tech last Monday he said he put the chalks in the same storage compartment (left of the gen) where I keep the hitch lock.

This scenario is exactly what came to mind when I read Bumper and Sad's explanation and definition. Unfortunately, nothing in regards to this scenario is in writing.
Firestone Airbags
Old 09-04-2013, 02:22 AM   #14
crash

Sorry to heard about your camper .Maybe someone will steal mineThen we can get a diesel pusher
2008 F350 chipped and bagged 6.4 power stroke crew cab 4x4.2013 384pk Raptor (Gravy Train) 2006 Fatboy w/18inch ape hangers,2006 883c sporty,Army wife Kim,Cocoa (The Boarder Collie) and Rebel (The English Bulldog) (THE RICH RAGE WAR,BUT ITS THE POOR THAT DIE)
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:31 AM   #15
Kristi

Sorry to hear about your loss. Hopefully they will resolve it quickly & you guys can get back to camping.

Kristi & Jeff
2014 Cougar 313 rli
2013 F350 king ranch
2014 passport 2650bh (sold)
2009 GMC 2500HD 6.6L 4X4 (sold)
Kristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:49 PM   #16
Courtland
Site Team | Emeritus

Sorry to hear about your Raptor. Which Camping World was your trailer at? I have mine at Camping World now trying to get the side fixed from a blow out last week and would hate to see it dissapear.

Courtland
My buddies 08 Keystone Fuzion 362 when its just the guys.
https://www.keystonerv.org
https://www.desertriders.org/forums
Courtland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:06 PM   #17
Bgoltrk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courtland View Post
Sorry to hear about your Raptor. Which Camping World was your trailer at? I have mine at Camping World now trying to get the side fixed from a blow out last week and would hate to see it dissapear.

Courtland
First of all the Camping World management has been good to deal with so far. The communication has been good as well. The location the Raptor was taken from was Wilsonville Oregon.

Courtland, if i had it to do over I would require that they use my hitch lock without exception! I would spot check it daily and If I found it outside without the hitch lock, I'd raise hell!
Firestone Airbags
Old 09-05-2013, 01:44 AM   #18
dave-g

I do not believe they have much legal responsibility, no more than if you car was stoles from a mall parking lot.

I'm an insurance agents dream- I check all the boxes- including 30,000 in content insurance.

Hopefully good old Marcus will have take a break from his reality show ‘The Big Fix’ and FIX THIS!!

Maybe some should forward a like to this forum to him.
KTM 300 xc-sold
ktm 450 exc-r
dave-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:54 AM   #19
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave-g View Post
I do not believe they have much legal responsibility, no more than if you car was stoles from a mall parking lot.
I'm an insurance agents dream- I check all the boxes- including 30,000 in content insurance.

Hopefully good old Marcus will have take a break from his reality show ‘The Big Fix’ and FIX THIS!!

Maybe some should forward a like to this forum to him.
If I have the facts of this situation correct, there is a significant difference in CW and a mall parking lot.

In the mall parking lot, you're using their space for your convenience to shop with their merchants. There's no "contract" provided.

At Camping World, if you simply pulled in to shop at the camp store, it would be similar to parking at the mall, but in this situation, the OP has a contract to provide services of a specific nature (repairs) for his RV. With the "transfer of possession" that occurs when you leave your property with a service provider, the requirement to use "due diligence" in protecting the property changes from the owner to the person who assumes possession of the property to provide that service.

It's the same as giving your shirt to a laundry for cleaning. If they can't produce the shirt on the day of scheduled pickup, and after a reasonable time to search their inventory to find the shirt, they are responsible for replacing the shirt.

A contract transferring possession is not the same as parking on private property for one's convenience while maintaining possession of the property.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:42 AM   #20
club325

Sorry to hear about the Raptor but glad to hear you have insurance. I had my first TT stolen 2 years ago in Texas. State Farm sucks to deal with when it comes to a claim. I too had contents coverage but in Texas, you are wasting your money as I was told that the peril of theft is not included in the contents coverage. I had to make a homeowner's claim. My agent felt horrible because she also thought my contents coverage would apply but she learned it did not. I thankfully did not get mine back. I didnt want it back after God knows who used my toilet and slept on my beds. It is probably on a deer lease or currently housing a bunch of illegals for a coyote from Mexico.
club325 is offline   Reply With Quote