Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-15-2018, 08:21 AM   #21
sourdough
Site Team

If you can hold your hand on the vent, and that is not charring on the flooring then the situation isn't as dire as I originally thought. It may be just discoloration but you need to check the temps as previously described to be sure. Good luck.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 08:41 AM   #22
Nomadicchefs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Have you asked the local RV center if they will service it if you pay for the repairs? If they say yes, you can then discuss with the furnace manufacturer and/or Keystone to get them to authorize you paying and them reimbursing you for the work.

Read your Keystone Owner's Manual warranty terms. In the manual you'll find this: "Should you encounter an issue affecting the use, value or safety of your RV while traveling, contact your selling dealer for assistance. Should you need to locate an Authorized Keystone Service Center, a dealer locator can be found at www.Keystonerv.com or by contacting Keystone Owner Relations Monday-Friday 9am – 4pm Eastern time at 866-425-4369."

If you are not near your selling dealership, contact Keystone at the number above and explain the situation. They should have a means to help you resolve this issue.

The bottom line (I think) is summed up in the Owner's Manual with this statement: "If the dealer is unable to correct any covered defects that you believe substantially impairs the value, use or safety of your recreational vehicle, you must, to the extent permitted by law, notify Keystone directly of the failure to successfully repair the defect(s) so that Keystone can become directly involved for the purpose of performing a successful repair to the identified defect(s)."

This problem, at least in your opinion, substantially impairs the safety of your RV. So, by the terms of the warranty, you are "required" to notify Keystone directly of the dealer's failure to repair the defect. Even if the dealer is too far away to work on the RV, you still need to notify Keystone.

The last thing you need is to have the RV "burn to the ground" while you're complaining about the problem on this forum and the dealer/Keystone have no idea it's happening. Be pro-active, notify Keystone with a phone call, followed by an email (for documentation) explaining your understanding of what was discussed in the phone call. Maybe they have a means to help you that you're not yet aware of.....
Thanks, I have contacted both my dealer and Keystone. I left multiple phone messages for Keystone and have yet to be called back for a different issue from months ago. Email is apparently their choice of correspondence. However, thank you for the info and phone numbers.
Nomadicchefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 01:38 PM   #23
Nomadicchefs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
If you can hold your hand on the vent, and that is not charring on the flooring then the situation isn't as dire as I originally thought. It may be just discoloration but you need to check the temps as previously described to be sure. Good luck.
I got a temp gun, the register cover came in at 174.3 degrees, the temp of the ducting inside the vent is 178.4 degrees. The next vent in line measured at 102.9 degrees. I contacted both Keystone and my dealer. Keystone told me to contact my dealer, and the dealer has not returned my calls or emails. It doesn't make any sense for this one vent to be so incredibly hot. The duct is not blocked, pinched, etc elsewhere in the camper.
Old 03-15-2018, 02:18 PM   #24
Nomadicchefs

I got the vent covers out and have taken pictures. As you can see, the wooden flooring is untouched, it's just the top linoleum that touches the edges of the metal vent that are discolored. Snaked the entire ducting, there are no blockages or debris. The only thing I can think of is that this vent is nearest to the furnace, with approximately 3 feet of ducting between them, if that. I've contacted everyone I can in regards to this issue. Because I've had no response from my dealer or dealers nearby, this is why I turned to the forum for help from more experienced campers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180315_181111.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	208.5 KB
ID:	15647   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180315_181118.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	266.7 KB
ID:	15648   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180315_180734.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	244.3 KB
ID:	15649  
Old 03-15-2018, 02:21 PM   #25
Steveo57

That does seem pretty high. Almost seems like there's a problem with airflow.

How old is your trailer? Could some ducting be blocked or maybe the fan has junk in it?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Old 03-15-2018, 02:29 PM   #26
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

The last time we had a high temp reported it registered like 140*. This is substantially higher.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 02:34 PM   #27
Ken / Claudia

Well we all need to guess, My guess is blocked duct work. Snaking the ducts? how did you do that they are flex and will rip if pushed on by a finger. You need to go under and look at the duct run, many are blocked partly by poor install. If you have a covered under side that needs removed to see anything. Did you actually speak with the service manager and if so what did he say. When I phone a business during open hours, I talk to someone.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 02:34 PM   #28
Nomadicchefs

It's a 2018, we bought it and of summer last year. With neither Keystone nor my dealer offering any type of help, I'm at a loss of what to Do. I can tell you that the furnace is very hot to the touch, but imagine that's completely expected and normal. Aside from that, I don't know. The fan doesn't run loud or make odd noises. It is located under our cabinets. The return vent is clear with nothing near it, and I vacuumed around the furnace but there was nothing there to sweep up. Our camper was on sale being the last one, now I see why... It's disheartening to be helpless and clueless in a dangerous situation.
Old 03-15-2018, 02:39 PM   #29
Nomadicchefs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
Well we all need to guess, My guess is blocked duct work. Snaking the ducts? how did you do that they are flex and will rip if pushed on by a finger. You need to go under and look at the duct run, many are blocked partly by poor install. If you have a covered under side that needs removed to see anything. Did you actually speak with the service manager and if so what did he say.
We have a little camera I used, these ducts aren't fragile, they are flexible but somewhat thick. The underbelly is enclosed, and I would like to have help from a pro rather than just myself while my husband is at work.As for speaking to someone, it's an automated service and I had to leave messages. I even tried sales thinking someone would answer if they thought they'd make a sale, but they ended up transferring me too. Just a worrisome situation.
Old 03-15-2018, 02:53 PM   #30
sourdough
Site Team

We've touched on the "discoloration" around the edge of the vent. Is it discolored or burned? 174 degrees seems way too hot for the vent. For it to drop 72 degrees to the next vent is perplexing. Burned (and it looks burned) is more worrisome. It also looks like the edges of the metal from the duct is what is "burning" the edges of the linoleum next to it.

How is the trailer laid out? Is the furnace at one end and all the ducts in a line from there? Mine has the furnace in the middle and ducts running in different directions. None of them get much hotter than the others. How far is it from the first vent (approx. 3' away from the furnace box) and the next one? You've said you have checked for blockages but I'm wondering if there is something between the first vent and the second causing that 72 degree drop, which seems abnormal to me. If that was the case backing the hot air out of the front vent that might be the culprit. If the temps were equalized between the 2 (or more) vents it might fix this.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 02:59 PM   #31
JRTJH
Site Team

Call and ask to speak to a manager. Don't take no for an answer. If the receptionist transfers you to a voice mail, call back, keep calling until you speak to a human. Inform the receptionist that you are calling in reference to a fire hazard and you need help, not shuffling from one voice mail to another. Do the same with Keystone Customer Service. Continue calling until you're able to speak to a human who has the authority to do something or make decisions and can help you.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 03:05 PM   #32
Nomadicchefs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
We've touched on the "discoloration" around the edge of the vent. Is it discolored or burned? 174 degrees seems way too hot for the vent. For it to drop 72 degrees to the next vent is perplexing. Burned (and it looks burned) is more worrisome. It also looks like the edges of the metal from the duct is what is "burning" the edges of the linoleum next to it.

How is the trailer laid out? Is the furnace at one end and all the ducts in a line from there? Mine has the furnace in the middle and ducts running in different directions. None of them get much hotter than the others. How far is it from the first vent (approx. 3' away from the furnace box) and the next one? You've said you have checked for blockages but I'm wondering if there is something between the first vent and the second causing that 72 degree drop, which seems abnormal to me. If that was the case backing the hot air out of the front vent that might be the culprit. If the temps were equalized between the 2 (or more) vents it might fix this.

I added a picture of the duct layout. The distance between 1 and 2 is about 8 feet. 2 and 3 is about 8 feet and 3 and 4 is probably 4 feet. When using the camera and sending it from vent 1 to vent 2, there's was nothing more than a little lint, but nothing major.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180315_190047.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	15650  
Old 03-15-2018, 03:14 PM   #33
Steveo57

Which vent is the one you've shown in your pictures?

I have a 2018 Cougar and found one of the AC outlets blocked with the cutout they made for the register in the duct. They punched the hole through the ductwork and just left the round cutout in the duct and it was completely blocking the outlet.

And you're doing a great job working through this issue!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Old 03-15-2018, 03:21 PM   #34
Nomadicchefs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo57 View Post
Which vent is the one you've shown in your pictures?

I have a 2018 Cougar and found one of the AC outlets blocked with the cutout they made for the register in the duct. They punched the hole through the ductwork and just left the round cutout in the duct and it was completely blocking the outlet.

And you're doing a great job working through this issue!

Thanks for the encouragement! The vent that's in the pictures is vent 1 to the left in the photo., nearest the furnace (X) the picture uploaded upside down, sorry.
Old 03-15-2018, 03:29 PM   #35
Nomadicchefs

I turned the heat back on, but turned the fan on low instead of high. This didn't occur to me it could be an issue (Low or high) to cause heat increases, but now the hottest vent (after running a cycle) has dropped to 159.5 degrees. Vents 2 through 4 are 137, 127, and 122 respectively. It didn't solve the high heat issue but it certainly decreased it a bit
Old 03-15-2018, 03:40 PM   #36
Steveo57

Are you shooting the temperatures in the ducts at a similar point in each one. If your shooting the shiny sheet metal in duct 1 and the floor registers in the other ducts that could make a difference.

Perhaps others more knowledgeable about using those infrared guns can chime in. I know it makes a difference what the surface is when you use them.

If the duct is clear between 1 and 2 I don't see why there would be such a difference? Does it appear that the ducting is the same size going to the other outlets?

If it was me I'd be trying to look into the fan area and make sure the whole air flow path from beginning to end is clear and not obstructed some way.

Old 03-15-2018, 03:44 PM   #37
Nomadicchefs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo57 View Post
Are you shooting the temperatures in the ducts at a similar point in each one. If your shooting the shiny sheet metal in duct 1 and the floor registers in the other ducts that could make a difference.

Perhaps others more knowledgeable about using those infrared guns can chime in. I know it makes a difference what the surface is when you use them.

If the duct is clear between 1 and 2 I don't see why there would be such a difference? Does it appear that the ducting is the same size going to the other outlets?

If it was me I'd be trying to look into the fan area and make sure the whole air flow path from beginning to end is clear and not obstructed some way.

I am pointing it onto the register vent, directly in the center, on one of the vent "bars" on each one. I know the duct work would be hotter, but it's the vent that seems so insanely hot.
Old 03-15-2018, 03:46 PM   #38
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicchefs View Post
I turned the heat back on, but turned the fan on low instead of high. This didn't occur to me it could be an issue (Low or high) to cause heat increases, but now the hottest vent (after running a cycle) has dropped to 159.5 degrees. Vents 2 through 4 are 137, 127, and 122 respectively. It didn't solve the high heat issue but it certainly decreased it a bit
The fan in the furnace is a 12 VDC single speed fan. Changing the thermostat fan switch from HI to LOW to AUTO only affects the fan in the air conditioner. It has no effect on the furnace fan. Is it possible that you left the vent covers off the other vents and that is what caused the lower temperatures?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 03:48 PM   #39
Steveo57

Just curious, what is the temperature of the trailer/intake air?

Old 03-15-2018, 03:51 PM   #40
Nomadicchefs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The fan in the furnace is a 12 VDC single speed fan. Changing the thermostat fan switch from HI to LOW to AUTO only affects the fan in the air conditioner. It has no effect on the furnace fan. Is it possible that you left the vent covers off the other vents and that is what caused the lower temperatures?
No, I did not leave the registers off.

Tags
floor, vent