Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Freeways & Byways
Click Here to Login

Old 11-29-2017, 06:12 AM   #1
Wantoride

Planning a trip to Alaska

We’ve decided it’s time to start planning our bucket list trip to Alaska, although we have 3 to 4 years till we are both retired we need to come up with a timeline for the TV as well as a route and destinations. We live in Maryland and want to travel west through Canada beginning in the Quebec area. That’s pretty much the starting point for this trip. Another trip at another time will cover the plains states and northwest US. With that being said, I’m reaching out to my fellow travelers for scenic routes, roads, attractions. What roads and areas to avoid and what roads and areas are nice. Insight to distance and time will help as well. The highway to Alaska looks like a long desolate stretch so tips there will help. My cousin made this trip twice with his 5th wheel but unfortunately he passed away recently without me being able to pick his brain. We will be pulling our 23rb so tips on the TV will help as well. Your suggestions are appreciated,thanks.
Larry and Sue
Old 11-29-2017, 06:49 AM   #2
Desert185

Begin and execute the plan with this:

www.themilepost.com
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 12:07 PM   #3
theallde

We saved our RV plus added a cruise by delivering a brand new Class C motorhome to Anchorage.

We flew to Minneapolis St. Paul Airport, rode the bus to Forest City, Iowa where we picked up the 28’ motorhome, drove to Anchorage and saw Mt. Rushmore, Badlands, Custer’s Last Stand and many other sights.

Took a cruise from Anchorage to Seattle to return home.

Check out Great Alaska Holidays (Spring Adventure).

Whatever you do, enjoy the ride .... Don

PS: Agree with Chuckster, the Mile Post is well worth the money.
theallde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 01:38 PM   #4
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by theallde View Post
PS: Agree with Chuckster, the Mile Post is well worth the money.
Thanks!
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 04:11 PM   #5
ken56

Is this trip on your own or with an organized caravan group? If its on your own then read up on being prepared for breakdowns and what spare parts you need to have with you......like at least 2 spare tires, an adequate jack and spare bearings among other things. Friends of ours took a guided tour to AK and told us they were glad to be in a group as they had a few mechanical issues themselves. The tour had a mechanic along with them. Its rough road in places depending on the time of season they say and desolate for long stretches. Better provide for two 5 gallon fuel cans too....
ken56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 05:10 PM   #6
TheGriz

Our trip started with our two boys, ages 9 and 12, by flying into Anchorage...beautiful city. Rented a 30' Class C and proceeded to Denali for first night. Second day went through Fairbanks (industrial town), and headed south to village of North Pole for second night (celebrates Xmas everyday of year!). Then south toward Valdez staying at the base of a glacier 50 north of Valdez at a USGS dry campsite for third night (breath taking!). Proceeded into Valdez and camped right in that extremely nice city for the fourth night.

Tough to pick the best part of the trip as the boys enjoyed everything. But the next morning we were all up at 4 am and drove the RV into the hull of the Alaskan Ferry at 6 am!!! The ferry spent all day going threw the Gulf of Alaska. The on-board Naturalist spent all day with the boys explaining all the wildlife and glacier calving to the boys...they were mesmerized. Sailed into Seward later that evening and found a private campsite on the Russian River.

Next day I found a little tributary and the boys arms fell off fighting the big Salmon and Rainbows with lightweight trout rods!!! Never saw such huge smiles on their faces!!

Finished the trip of a lifetime returning the RV and spending the day enjoying Anchorage and all it has to offer! Stayed in hotel that night to catch flight home next day.

Would very much recommend the Alaskan Ferry!

I sure hope that doll in the furry bikini doesn't come after me 15 years later for that pinch on her hinney

BTW...trip was last week of July, not a single mosquito believe it or not!

Enjoy!!!
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Alaska058.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	347.9 KB
ID:	14732   Click image for larger version

Name:	alaska120.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	373.9 KB
ID:	14733   Click image for larger version

Name:	alaska127.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	363.2 KB
ID:	14734   Click image for larger version

Name:	Alaska007.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	384.4 KB
ID:	14736  

2018 Laredo 288RL Travel Trailer
2017 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab LTZ, Z-71, 6.6L Diesel
2017 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (traded)
2011 Silverado Crew Cab, 4wd Z-71, 5.3L (traded)
K9 Handler of my SAR partner and best friend Jeter!
TheGriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 08:25 PM   #7
theallde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
Thanks!
Sorry, I was doing a no no by trying to do several things a once - something a “senior” individual souldn’t do.
theallde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 02:34 AM   #8
notanlines

Wantoride, people make their Alaska trek in many forms. Generally their choices are governed by time constraints due to work. Hopefully that won't get in your way. You seem to be planning your trip in the most "exciting" manner; driving from home. That trip from Baltimore (as an example) to White Horse will be at least half of the stories you will have to tell. The excitement starts the first morning when you start that TV and head down the street. I won't tell you that you won't tire just a little of wheat fields after your third long day out of Winnipeg. Canada grows more wheat than you can imagine! But I can say that our trip from Memphis to Alaska, back to the Seattle area and then to the UP of Michigan was one of our best ever. We're not even going and I'm excited for you! And I also agree that Chuckster's recommendation of the Milepost is a good one. (Apologies to Desert...)
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 06:20 AM   #9
Dave W

I don't really understand the mystique in a long, tiresome and heavy wearing of your RV, but it seems to me that flying there and renting a vehicle is probably one of the best ways and to better utilize your time to do the trip. I would encourage you to first spend a bunch of time wandering the Lower 48, visiting all of the wonderful places in our country first, get a good idea of some of the vast distances then plan and do your Alaska trip. I've flown over a good part of that area multiple times on the way to the Far East and even at 500 mph, it still takes a long time to cover the distance. Please don't think I'm trying to discourage you, just want you to know that this is not an easy trip to be taken lightly and without proper prep in time, equipment and, of course, dollars.
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 06:39 AM   #10
ADQ K9

I would have to say the Fly drive option is great if you have time constraints. Great Alaska Holidays is the Premier motorhome rental company here based in Anchorage. Comming from the east you have the options of going through Banff and Jasper in the Canadian Rockies I would budget at least 3 months driving. Most important and to help you make your descisions get the most recent edition of Milepost published annually.
Connected by a Curt 15K WDH W/Sway Control
ADQ K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 12:25 PM   #11
Wantoride

Your not alone!
Old 12-02-2017, 12:29 PM   #12
Wantoride

Quote:
Originally Posted by theallde View Post
Sorry, I was doing a no no by trying to do several things a once - something a “senior” individual souldn’t do.
Your not Alone! Maybe I’ll get it right this time. Good thing im still a good driver!
Old 12-02-2017, 12:31 PM   #13
Wantoride

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken56 View Post
Is this trip on your own or with an organized caravan group? If its on your own then read up on being prepared for breakdowns and what spare parts you need to have with you......like at least 2 spare tires, an adequate jack and spare bearings among other things. Friends of ours took a guided tour to AK and told us they were glad to be in a group as they had a few mechanical issues themselves. The tour had a mechanic along with them. Its rough road in places depending on the time of season they say and desolate for long stretches. Better provide for two 5 gallon fuel cans too....
Thanks ken56, it looks like we are on our own at this point but things can change by then.