Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-23-2018, 04:33 PM   #1
fjr vfr

Timbren and Sumo helper springs

I'm considering adding either Timbren of Sumo springs to my Ram 2500. I will be pulling a 5th wheel trailer and was wondering about the experience others have with both of these?
So if you have one of these, how do you like them?

Thanks
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 04:37 PM   #2
Kylemcmahon1

I have Timbren with my ram 2500 with Cummins. I tow a keystone outback 325bh tt 38 ft long and around 11000 loaded with Anderson wdh hutch. I left the spacer out of my Timbrens. So when not loaded rides like a normal 2500. When loaded holds the truck well and stop all the bouncing I had before.
Kylemcmahon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 04:37 PM   #3
datasponge

HI. I installed sumo springs on my 2010 F250 that I use to pull a 5er. It helped a lot with leveling out my ride. I didn't tow enough without them to really comment on any other potential benefits like smoothing out bumps, stability, but I've read other reviews that gave favorable impressions of their help in those areas. That said, the ride feels very stable.

But, when I don't have a heavy load like the trailer on, they don't engage.

As always, YMMV.

Edit: I chose the sumo springs over the timbers because of the more spring like effect, where as reviews of the timbers I found a common complaint about the harshness on bumps. I don't feel that with the sumos.
datasponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 04:45 PM   #4
Canonman

I installed the Timbren in lieu of adding overload leaf spring. The install was very easy but you will need a 1/2 drive socket wrench to remove the original bump stop. Mine was a little rusted. When we drop the Cougar on the hitch, we're still about 1/2 inch off the Timbren. Ride with the Cougar hooked up is great and sag is minimal. Ride empty did not change with the install of the Timbren. With 80lbs in the tires it rides a bit like a 3/4 ton truck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Proxy Falls 2018 (2 of 11).jpg
Views:	416
Size:	295.9 KB
ID:	17607  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 05:34 PM   #5
lunge motorsport

Shortly after purchasing my 5th wheel it was clear that the truck needed some help. I did some research and decided to go with the Timbren rubber bump stop replacements. After 2 years and probably 15k miles I'm happy to have taken them off. Yes they did limit the excess sag at the rear axle and the truck rode level. But once they engaged they were brutally harsh. They felt like the rear axle was bottoming out onto a very dense piece of rubber rather than a soft progressive spring. They absolutely degraded the ride of the truck. I replaced them with Air Lift 7500XL air springs which was a remarkable improvement. I chose the 7500 large diameter bags because I could run a lower pressure in the bags and achieve the required ride height adjustment with a softer cushion effect. So if anyone is interested the Timbrens are listed in the classifieds on this and one other forum...cheap!
Old 07-23-2018, 06:47 PM   #6
fjr vfr

I was just reading a review on another site. This person changed from the Timbren springs to an air bag set up. He said it kept him level, but his complaint was the ride was harsh when pulling his 5th wheel. He stated the ride improved with air bags.
Any similar experiences? Maybe I should be looking at Air bags?
Old 07-23-2018, 06:52 PM   #7
datasponge

I haven't heard of anyone who removed an airbag system to go to timbren/sumos. If your budget and installation capabilities support it, consensus seems to be that's the way to go.
Old 07-23-2018, 06:58 PM   #8
Canonman

As I said earlier, I have not found the ride harsh at all with the Timbren when the Cougar is hooked up. The Timbren is not normally engaged and I don't really notice when it does engage with a bump or uneven road. I'm usually about 1500 to 1800 on the hitch.
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 05:08 AM   #9
RoscoeV

I just installed the Timbrens in my 2018 RAM 2500 and so far I like them. My truck only has 9,000 miles and the suspension is still pretty stiff so the Timbrens are working great. The ride with them towing my 5er made a big difference and I don't have the harsh pounding. I installed them without the spacer and don't know they are there when I'm empty.

If the ride changes over the years I may go to air bags but as of now I'm pretty happy.
2018 Ram 2500 Laramie
Pathway X2 with DISH Wally
RoscoeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 06:56 AM   #10
Carrottop

I added the Timbrens to my 09 F-150 about 2 months ago. The first trip I really noticed the stiffness with them. After that either I have gotten used to it or they softened a bit but they made a huge difference on the level of the truck. I also did not use the spacers to maintain a smoother ride when not loaded.
2015 Nissan Armada 5.6
2021 Keystone Residence 40FLFT
Carrottop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 03:27 PM   #11
cpaulsen

Timbrens here......on my Ford with a 37' 5th wheel at about 13.5K loaded........truck used to sag about 2" before and now nothing at all. Still hve my 7" clearance at the bed rails and ride is good!!
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 04:02 PM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

I've watched this thread pondering....

My 14 Ram 2500 has about 66k on it. It has sagged a bit from when I first started putting my trailer on it. Part of it I'm sure is more weight as we keep adding "one more thing" along with age and pulling the trailer load. I used to have Airlift air bags on a 1500 and they worked well. Constantly airing up/down for loading was a pain.

I've looked and looked at the Timbrens and read all the glowing things the ads say. I've read what seems like evenly mixed reviews of them either being great or pounding on the axle making the ride harsh when unloaded due to the proximity of the rubber support to the axle. I would not deal with that. I'm thinking I'm going to add Bilstein 5100s all around and see if that won't help with the axle hitting the Timbrens. I won't keep the truck but about 30k more miles (I think) but wanted to see what kind of difference they make. The posts have been interesting and informative.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 04:15 PM   #13
Ddubya

I just added the Sumospring Rebels. They are a little different in they are two piece. I had Timbrens on my last truck and had no issues. Will not be towing until late August so not sure how they will perform.

https://www.truckcampermagazine.com/...ospring-rebel/

Ddubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 05:00 PM   #14
datasponge

I would recommend adding the sumo springs to your research. I went with them and have been very pleased. I have a cougar 326RDS 5th wheel pulled by a 2010, f250. My truck doesn't sag when hitched, and there's no slamming on bumps. The sumos definitely act more like an additional spring and smooth things out. I have no doubts that a properly functioning airbag system is superior.. but for the price and ease of installation I'd buy them all over again.
Old 07-25-2018, 01:38 AM   #15
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I'm thinking I'm going to add Bilstein 5100s all around and see if that won't help with the axle hitting the Timbrens. I won't keep the truck but about 30k more miles (I think) but wanted to see what kind of difference they make.
I swapped out the OEm shocks on my RAM for 5100 Bilsteins this past spring. They're a nice improvement in rebound control and responsiveness to the smaller bumps and ruts of the interstate. Not sure if theBilsteins will help with the "dramatics" of the Timbrems when they engage. But I'm sure happy I swapped out the OEM garbage. Very noticable when unloaded too.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 03:37 AM   #16
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterbrown View Post
I swapped out the OEm shocks on my RAM for 5100 Bilsteins this past spring. They're a nice improvement in rebound control and responsiveness to the smaller bumps and ruts of the interstate. Not sure if theBilsteins will help with the "dramatics" of the Timbrems when they engage. But I'm sure happy I swapped out the OEM garbage. Very noticable when unloaded too.
Chris,

Were the 5100s for a lifted truck? Is yours? And, if not, do they work OK? I've looked and looked and it seems like the 5100s show to be for trucks lifted like 2". I've sent the question to Bilstein but haven't heard back.

On a side note, I've done a little research on the Sumo springs and I'm thinking I may try them. They appear to be a softer, or more progressive, construction than the Timbrens.
Old 07-25-2018, 05:28 AM   #17
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Chris,

Were the 5100s for a lifted truck? Is yours? And, if not, do they work OK? I've looked and looked and it seems like the 5100s show to be for trucks lifted like 2". I've sent the question to Bilstein but haven't heard back.

On a side note, I've done a little research on the Sumo springs and I'm thinking I may try them. They appear to be a softer, or more progressive, construction than the Timbrens.
They are "marketed" for trucks that have a 2 inch lift up front and 0-2 inches in the rear. But the guys over on the RAM owners forum assured me that they fit non lifted trucks perfectly. And they do. In fact, they are the same length fully expanded as the OEM FCa junk. Somewhere I read that the shock mounts upfront changed in the early years of the 4th gen RAMs. Bilstein never changed the fitment guide I assume. There are members who've had them installed for years now on their trucks they use to actually tow with. No problems so far. Many articulate the same improvement I noted. I've read several owners did touch base with Bilstein and inquired like you did. They received the typical canned response. Don't expect Fox or Icon quality from Bilstein. I did not. But then again, I didn't blow $2000 on 4 shocks either.

Here's one of the forum threads that may interest you: https://www.ramforum.com/threads/sho...dation.119901/

And here's a real RAM owner's take on his new Bilstein 5100's:

I did my research and enjoy my stock ride now.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 06:00 AM   #18
sourdough
Site Team

Thanks. I'm a member of the ram forum but didn't think about looking there. Looks like I'll go with the 5100s.
Old 07-25-2018, 02:55 PM   #19
fjr vfr

I kind of like the reviews I'm seeing about the Sumo springs. Last months Trailer Life magazine had a review of them and had nothing but good to say about them. I'm leaning toward them over the Timbrens for now.
My plan now is to get some towing in with the stock set up before making the final purchase decision.

I find the posts here to be interesting and informative. Thanks
The more input the better.
Old 07-25-2018, 03:38 PM   #20
sourdough
Site Team

Got the response back from Bilstein on the 5100s for a stock 2500HD truck:

"Hello,
The 4600 are the only way achieve the OEM ride, and ride height. The 4600 will outperform the 5100 at stock ride height and trim. Most 5100 will not fit or operate correctly at stock ride height."

busterbrown; you are using the 5100s on your stock 4x4 2500 right (front and rear)? Have you towed with them? I think they are a much better shock than the 4600 but don't want to go to the trouble of buying/installing them then hook up the trailer and say "oh crap". I also read the link you provided (thanks). It was interesting. $2k on shocks and aftermarket springs etc. are for "play toys". I used to do those but those were dedicated vehicles. I have no use for that kind of stuff on a "work" (read tow) vehicle.