Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2017, 04:38 PM   #21
Canonman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdrolling View Post
Thanks, I ordered one last night off Amazon Prime so I'll have it Sat., I'm guessing since I've owned mine for two years already that they didn't use to include the funnel. I've never even heard of it until this thread.
Most Anderson threads normally turn into a debate with the traditional fifth wheel hitch crowd so I stopped clicking on them. Glad I decided to see what this one was about!
When we contacted Anderson last June, they admitted some inventory was still out there without the funnel. They offered to send the funnel kit (includes a ball with a longer shaft) no charge and paid the shipping as well to our next destination and I did the install at the campground. Four bolts but you'll need a torque wrench.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_1250.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	291.2 KB
ID:	12785  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 05:41 PM   #22
David T. MacNeill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolo4u View Post
Nothing ever happens... until it happens.

Thankfully you avoided any issues and caught it early.
I sent the store manager a detailed email and he responded within 20 minutes falling over himself to reassure me that he would make it right. It's 7:40pm on Friday evening before Memorial Day weekend and he responds that rapidly? I'm impressed!
David T. MacNeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 06:07 PM   #23
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by David T. MacNeill View Post
I sent the store manager a detailed email and he responded within 20 minutes falling over himself to reassure me that he would make it right. It's 7:40pm on Friday evening before Memorial Day weekend and he responds that rapidly? I'm impressed!

Great! Unfortunately, we have had to grow accustomed to the fact that those we pay for services do so when, where and how they want and we have to deal with it. It's nice to see that he's trying to stay on top of his business. I answered my phone 24 hrs. a day and responded to email beginning at 6am and answered everything until 10pm. Unfortunately (for me), I still expect anyone in a management position to hold that philosophy and am generally disappointed - except on occasion (example; Marcus Lemonis responding to me personally after 9pm!!). Hope he takes care of everything for you.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 11:58 AM   #24
jandcgro

I have the anderson ultimate. If you have the one that's hooks on the goose neck ball I would check the torque with the trailer hook up to be safe
jandcgro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 06:51 PM   #25
David T. MacNeill

Happy ending to my CW service experience: The General Manager of Camping World of Boise called me and arranged for his Service Director to personally hold the Anderson part for me, and there it was on his desk when we drove the rig over today. We were back on the road in half an hour and she pulls better than ever. This is excellent follow-up service any way you look at it.
Old 06-10-2017, 07:29 PM   #26
John&Genny

We have a Anderson Ultimate 5th wheel hitch and love it so far. Sorry you had the issues with the installation David. I forgot to have the safety chains installed so had to end up doing that myself. It involved loosening the hex bolts and using a torque wrench to tighten them up to the proper specs. If I can read the instructions on how to properly install the hitch coupler, then surely their service techs should have been able to do the same. They were just sloppy.

Also have the funnel on ours and it makes it much easier to get the coupler on the hitch ball. Highly recommened add-on if you don't already have it
John&Genny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 07:34 PM   #27
David T. MacNeill

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by John&Genny View Post
Also have the funnel on ours and it makes it much easier to get the coupler on the hitch ball. Highly recommened add-on if you don't already have it
I got the funnel too and love it, but an over-enthusiastic installer cracked my first one nearly in half. 80 ft/lbs means 80 ft/lbs. Detailed it all to the Service Director to make sure than never happens again to anyone else.
Old 06-13-2017, 10:21 AM   #28
eds451

Glad all worked out. I did not know Andersen had a funnel kit and will be ordering one today. Two reasons why I like this hitch, I easily can take back my truck bed when not towing the 5er and eliminate the (what I feel) the sloppy fit of the Reese slider.

Central Calif.
2010 Dodge 2500HD, 5.7 hemi
2007 Cougar 244rls
eds451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 12:19 PM   #29
hdrolling

Quote:
Originally Posted by eds451 View Post
Glad all worked out. I did not know Andersen had a funnel kit and will be ordering one today. Two reasons why I like this hitch, I easily can take back my truck bed when not towing the 5er and eliminate the (what I feel) the sloppy fit of the Reese slider.
Same here, after hearing about the funnel on this thread I ordered one from Tweetys and installed it immediately.

I run the safety chain set up so I couldn't use washers on both sides but I got it to work and don't see it going anywhere. First time hooking up with the funnel I got close and dropped the camper on it and it connected right up. Much better than getting exactly over the opening!

Retired Army, 22yrs
hdrolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 05:40 PM   #30
Desert185

Mine goes on a B&W turnover ball. Three minutes to remove the hitch and flip the ball for a flat, unencumbered bed. The Andersen hitch is a simple, lightweight, robust (24,000#), elegant solution.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 04:44 AM   #31
SkiSmuggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by David T. MacNeill View Post
I got the funnel too and love it, but an over-enthusiastic installer cracked my first one nearly in half. 80 ft/lbs means 80 ft/lbs. Detailed it all to the Service Director to make sure than never happens again to anyone else.
What 80 ft/lbs? There are no 80 ft/lb bolts! The set screws are 40 each and the big bolts are just snugged down. Ah ha! Those are the bolts he over torqued. They only cradle the block on the pin so they don't need to be super tight like pin box bolts. My pre-funnel directions say to snug them down. I added the funnel later.
Old 06-20-2017, 04:50 AM   #32
SkiSmuggs

For those with the goose ball version, the instructions say to torque the top bolt to 60 ft/lbs a second time with the fifth wheel on the hitch and then tighten the two front bolts to 40 ft/lbs. Setting the fiver on the ball creates a lot of slack in that top bolt. A friend didn't read that far and his fiver kept wandering as he went down the road. He was ready to sell the AUH and get a B&W Companion until he called Andersen and they told him his mistake. No more wandering.
Edit: Instructions for even recently shipped 3220 (goose ball version) still say 50 ft/lbs because so many were printed, but Andersen confirms it is 60 ft/lbs.
Old 06-20-2017, 08:52 AM   #33
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs View Post
For those with the goose ball version, the instructions say to torque the top bolt to 60 ft/lbs a second time with the fifth wheel on the hitch and then tighten the two front bolts to 40 ft/lbs. Setting the fiver on the ball creates a lot of slack in that top bolt. A friend didn't read that far and his fiver kept wandering as he went down the road. He was ready to sell the AUH and get a B&W Companion until he called Andersen and they told him his mistake. No more wandering.
Edit: Instructions for even recently shipped 3220 (goose ball version) still say 50 ft/lbs because so many were printed, but Andersen confirms it is 60 ft/lbs.
I called Jason at Andersen on this as it didn't compute with the original steel, gooseneck ball version I have. Unfortunately, there is no documentation available on the website.

The confusion lies with the fact that there are three versions of this gooseneck ball hitch, the original steel, the first version aluminum and the second generation aluminum.

Steel: top bolt 50#, side bolts 40#, allen set screws 40#, king pin adapter through bolts snug only with no torque spec (whether with ball funnel or not).

First gen aluminum: This was the version where the top bolt needed to be retorqued to 60# with the weight of the trailer on it. All other specs are the same as the steel version.

Second gen aluminum: Not required to retorque top bolt with weight on trailer. Top bolt 60# and all other specs same as steel version.

He did mention that the steel version top bolt could be torqued to 50-60#, but the original 50# spec should be sufficient. Note that the top bolt should be torqued before the two side bolts. The allen set screws should be checked occasionally to maintain their setting of 40#.

Hope this resolves any confusion on the installation of the three versions.

www.andersenhitches.com
Old 06-23-2017, 10:56 AM   #34
SkiSmuggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
I called Jason at Andersen on this as it didn't compute with the original steel, gooseneck ball version I have. Unfortunately, there is no documentation available on the website.

Second gen aluminum: Not required to retorque top bolt with weight on trailer. Top bolt 60# and all other specs same as steel version.

He did mention that the steel version top bolt could be torqued to 50-60#, but the original 50# spec should be sufficient. Note that the top bolt should be torqued before the two side bolts. The allen set screws should be checked occasionally to maintain their setting of 40#.

Hope this resolves any confusion on the installation of the three versions.
Not really. My friend's fiver was wandering and wagging during his first tow. He called Andersen and they asked if he had re-torqued to 60# after putting the fiver on the ball. When he said no, they told him to torque it to 60# again with the fiver on it and that would stop the wagging. He did and it did.
I got my 3220 Gen2 about 8 weeks ago and the directions said to re-torque, but to 50# and Andersen said 60#, so we are not all getting the same story. Too loose would be more of a problem than too tight.
Old 06-23-2017, 01:08 PM   #35
Desert185

At least we now know how to resolve any issues with either of the three hitch versions, although my steel version stays tight. The only thing I've seen loosen was the four allen set screws.
Old 05-10-2021, 01:37 PM   #36
X-Jaywalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
At least we now know how to resolve any issues with either of the three hitch versions, although my steel version stays tight. The only thing I've seen loosen was the four allen set screws.
I have the same AH. What are you using to tighten the four Allen set screws? I am assuming that you have the funnel and the two forward set screws require a deeper Allen torque wrench, which I have not been able to find. Did you find a tool that worked? TIA.
Anderson Ultimate 3200
2016 RAM 6.7CTD,4x4,CC, 38 Aux Fuel Tank, Airbags
X-Jaywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 02:14 PM   #37
sourdough
Site Team

This thread is about 4 years old.

To answer your question you can buy something like this;

https://www.amazon.com/Neiko-10076A-...s%2C187&sr=8-1

Use a 3/8" drive torque wrench and set them to 40 lbs.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 02:16 PM   #38
X-Jaywalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
This thread is about 4 years old.

To answer your question you can buy something like this;

https://www.amazon.com/Neiko-10076A-...s%2C187&sr=8-1

Use a 3/8" drive torque wrench and set them to 40 lbs.
Thank you Danny....I am slow... Appreciate it..
Anderson Ultimate 3200
2016 RAM 6.7CTD,4x4,CC, 38 Aux Fuel Tank, Airbags
X-Jaywalker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch