Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 12-05-2019, 04:15 PM   #21
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
Hmmmmmm? On a chilly afternoon , I wonder what dishes I can whip up with my implanted defibrillator????
Probably more than I can with my spinal cord stimulator!
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 06:37 PM   #22
SummitPond

Speaking of the Russian weiner cooker, we had a commercial model when I was growing up. It had an interlock such that one could not easily zap themselves. If I recall correctly, we could stack up to six hot dogs in it for cooking at a time. This isn't quite what I remember having, but it was probably similar.

When I was a Boy Scout we used to wrap hamburger, onion, carrots and sometimes cheese in tin foil and set it securely on the car's V8 motor; we'd have a cooked meal by the time we got to the campsite.

My brother has an all-electric car, and as such it relies on resistance heat to warm the interior. This really kills the available range, and conversely using the air conditioner for cooling is not much better. it's a great concept, but IMHO still has a long way to go to thrive in the current transportation environment.

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 06:53 PM   #23
RK1978

This discussion of electric propulsion is interesting but as one who lives on a farm in an area with 4 seasons, I see little to no use for an electric vehicle, at least during the winter. The two things I would be interested in are: electric drive 4WD with a high efficiency diesel genset with batteries for surge power, and using wind energy to produce hydrogen as fuel. This could be produced and stored, which would eliminate the variable output of wind power generation. (and no carbon emissions).
RK1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 06:37 AM   #24
notanlines

Summit, in the video he refers to himself as possibly 'full of crap,' and an idiot. This guy is bogus as a football bat. He's cooking skinless wieners. REAL hot dog lovers would NEVER allow a skinless dog in their kitchen!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 11:33 AM   #25
Bisjoe

When I was in college I worked evenings/weekends at a liquor store, which also sold some food items including hot dogs. We would often eat what we called "coffee dogs." We put them into the old-fashioned peculating coffee pot, plugged it in (without any coffee) and let them sit until done. We never used it for coffee, too many other good things to drink there.

Bisjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 01:52 PM   #26
mwemaxxowner

This has devolved brilliantly. Lol
mwemaxxowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 02:00 PM   #27
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwemaxxowner View Post
This has devolved brilliantly. Lol
Just can't wait to see winter in full swing!
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 08:45 AM   #28
BRB Rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve's 70-5 View Post
With all the hoopla about battery vehicles and Tesla coming out with a new truck. My question was about range when towing. Saw this video, it is 22 minutes long FYI

Was talking to a camper salesman a while back, he said battery Class A are around the corner.

https://youtu.be/-cvNfmL7XQg
Thanks for bringing up EV trucks. We jumped on the reservation list for an Atlis XT and committed to making the trip to meet Atlis next month and get a thorough rundown of how it will work for our toy hauler as full-timers. We’re curious about the jump to solid state batts and eager to learn more about the company and their powerful and beautiful tow vehicle.

We’re in no way affiliated with the company and encourage anyone to visit their site, learn about their solutions, and ask any questions on their forum. Our questions and concerns are promptly answered by the peeps that are designing and building the products.

https://www.atlismotorvehicles.com/
BRB Rig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 09:40 AM   #29
CaptnJohn

There are places I travel where it is comforting to have 100 gallon of diesel in the truck. I see no possible use for an electric truck at this time. They will come one day along with paying their share of road taxes. Nothing of value to me in my lifetime I'm sure. This will be something for my grandkids if the technology continues to improve. My big question is although Al Goes great grandchildren will be billionaires if it proves to be of little or no value will anyone admit the great expensive mistake or will they pull a coal generator behind the truck?

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 11:27 AM   #30
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

This would be the modern version of the steam engine and tender car!

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 03:31 PM   #31
+Ruff Rider
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRB Rig View Post
Thanks for bringing up EV trucks. We jumped on the reservation list for an Atlis XT and committed to making the trip to meet Atlis next month and get a thorough rundown of how it will work for our toy hauler as full-timers. We’re curious about the jump to solid state batts and eager to learn more about the company and their powerful and beautiful tow vehicle.

We’re in no way affiliated with the company and encourage anyone to visit their site, learn about their solutions, and ask any questions on their forum. Our questions and concerns are promptly answered by the peeps that are designing and building the products.

https://www.atlismotorvehicles.com/
So say you are hooked up to your 5th wheel and crap you need to charge that sucker up. How hard do you think that is going to be. Electric trucks are only good around town and not out there towing a 5er. By the way you have to stop and charge that thing for 30 minutes and I am 30 miles down the road to my next destination. Not much scenery watching the charger charge your truck.
I think electrifying the transportation industry is stupid. Electricity is best sited for cooking Hot Dogs LOL
+Ruff Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 07:16 PM   #32
Harried Harry

For me, a trip to the nearest lake is a 100 mile one-way drive! If I'm taking my trailer or my truck camper, then my mileage is in the teens. I know the RR's use electric motors to run the locomotives but they have diesel-electric power systems. The worst thing about the electric cars/trucks is where & how do you recycle the battery? Very challenging situation since you can't just dump them in the nearest land fill. They must be recycled and not all of the components are recyclable --yet.

To me, it seems as though a lot of people have a "solution in search of a problem".
Harried Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 07:33 PM   #33
chuckster57
Site Team

If you go to the link provided, they claim a 500 mile range in one model. That should get you to the lake and back. And you can be ready to go again in like 15 minutes of plugging in the charge cable.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 07:36 PM   #34
Harried Harry

Regarding the "electric hot dog or meal cooker". My Jeep club members like warm meals when we are out on a long, all day off road event. Many who have Wranglers have installed a metal cage above the engine in which they can place their aluminum foil wrapped meal; this allows it to cook while we are driving the two to four miles (3 hours or so) to the lunch stop. Great way to absorb the engine heat. I don't think an electric Jeep will be able to provide the heat, but supposedly one will be in production for the 2021 model year. I'm sure it will be a "tester".

Where I live the next city from me is 250 miles north! A few small towns in-between, but no cities.
Harried Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 08:33 PM   #35
sourdough
Site Team

Harry.....you forget Alamo just a few (75) miles to your S?? We have a home in Cloudcroft, go to Alamo several times a week and then to Cruces for "bigger" shopping; Sam's etc.

We need to talk about where your Jeep club goes to ride; 83 CJ7.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote