Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 10-30-2019, 11:14 AM   #1
Camp Chef

JT Strong Arm on Cougar X-Lite

Got a new set of stabilizers for birthday and am ready to install. Got to looking at the frame construction and noticed that there is NO frame support on the front of the unit between the landing gear legs. The closest frame beam is around 20 inches behind the front wall of the storage area. Can the stabilizers be connected to that beam, or what other mods have people made to install these stabilizers? Getting tired of having sea legs when we get back from longer stays.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!
Camp Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 11:44 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

I had to build a "mounting plate" in the center of the front crossmember on my trailer to mount the two BAL stabilizers that go from each landing gear to the center of the trailer. The two stabilizer bars that go "back toward the aft part of the trailer are mounted to the frame rails.

Here's a photo of the mount and how I did mine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	center bracket 1.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	388.6 KB
ID:	24212   Click image for larger version

Name:	center bracket 2.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	415.8 KB
ID:	24213   Click image for larger version

Name:	center bracket 3.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	371.2 KB
ID:	24214   Click image for larger version

Name:	center bracket 4.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	435.2 KB
ID:	24215   Click image for larger version

Name:	center bracket 5.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	399.2 KB
ID:	24216  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 11:50 AM   #3
Camp Chef

From the picture, it looks as though the bracket is not attached by anything other than the bolts from the kit through the plate. Am I seeing that correctly, or is there some more metal inside the storage box?
Camp Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 01:44 PM   #4
jsb5717

The mounting plate is a good idea. I don't have any framing there either but the storage floor pan will work by sandwiching a couple of the supplied plates on either side as my directions stated. Seems to work just fine.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 04:30 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp Chef View Post
From the picture, it looks as though the bracket is not attached by anything other than the bolts from the kit through the plate. Am I seeing that correctly, or is there some more metal inside the storage box?
If you look at the third photo, you'll see that the locking arm brackets are bolted to the angle bar. Inside the storage compartment is a similar bar. The two bars are "sandwiched" to the thin metal floorpan of the front storage compartment and the opposing side of the angle INSIDE the compartment is bolted to the front bulkhead which forms the front wall of the trailer. It's been "rock solid" since 2014 when I installed the BAL system.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 11-01-2019, 12:52 AM   #6
Big1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I had to build a "mounting plate" in the center of the front crossmember on my trailer to mount the two BAL stabilizers that go from each landing gear to the center of the trailer. The two stabilizer bars that go "back toward the aft part of the trailer are mounted to the frame rails.

Here's a photo of the mount and how I did mine.

I have the Strong Arm and this is how I'm looking at doing my also, all I have is a small square tube and I can't get to the top because I can't get to the top through my storage.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 05:48 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big1 View Post
I have the Strong Arm and this is how I'm looking at doing my also, all I have is a small square tube and I can't get to the top because I can't get to the top through my storage.
It looks, at least to me, that the Jayco 321 has a very similar front storage compartment door that's located between the front landing gear. For my own clarification, are you saying that when you open that storage compartment, you're not able to access the floor of that compartment? To me, it would appear that there can't be (based on the attached photo) more than 2" of space between the top of that floor surface and the area under the front of the fifth wheel. It should not be a significant problem to "sandwich" the two angle plates in that space.... What am I missing in your comment that "it can't be accessed" ???
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JAYCO 321.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	24223  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 11-01-2019, 08:37 PM   #8
Big1

Yes, looking at it and I need to go out again and look at it again but I can't access on the top of the floor. I have to also look at all of my parts and see if that long two bolts will reach up into the floor so I can put a top plate and nuts on.

I will be going out again and make sure but just looking at it without trying to pull up the floor or when I do drill the holes it wants go up in the sidewall.

I know that their is a 1' to 1/2 square tubing and on the top side of that tubeing is the floor, but I really need to look at it again and see is it doable and if not doing it the way you did yours is what I will do.
Old 11-01-2019, 08:41 PM   #9
Big1

It has been so cold here and I've been so busy I haven't lately gotten a chance to really look into it but since the unit is in for the winter now whenever I get the time to go back out, because there some other things that I would like to do in the 5'er.
Old 11-07-2019, 06:35 AM   #10
GeekSquadOfUn

Just a word of caution.

On my previous 5th wheel I had installed some and they got rusty real quick and caused a lot of issues with landing gear, jacks and motors. I did oil and grease them, but it did not help very much.

The cost vs benefits was not worth it in my humble opinion, so I did not install any on my new 5th wheel.

Obviously depends on where you live, store it or travel.

My 2 cents.
May you live as long as you want, and never want as long as you live.
GeekSquadOfUn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 09:02 AM   #11
johnlewis

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb5717 View Post
The mounting plate is a good idea. I don't have any framing there either but the storage floor pan will work by sandwiching a couple of the supplied plates on either side as my directions stated. Seems to work just fine.
Our Montana has no frame in the front compartment, where the cross braces are installed. I used the 2 plates supplied, and haven't had any problems on a 3+ year installation.
johnlewis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cougar