Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 07-31-2019, 02:58 PM   #1
77cruiser
Gone Traveling

Thoughts about going bigger?

I have 235/80/16, thinking about 235/85/16 load range G.
77cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 04:14 PM   #2
CWtheMan

Going to the ST235/85R16G will give you tires that are much stiffer than the OE tires. The shock on the trailer's construction and everything it carries may not be something you have considered. You know, the ST235/85R16G are considered a "plus sized" replacement for your trailer. They are taller and wider than the OE tires.

The major problem with RV trailer tires is their load capacity. You may be better served by just finding some ST235/80R16F tires and use cold inflation of around 90 PSI in them.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 10:32 PM   #3
bobbecky

You only have 6,000 lb axles, so G range tires would be way overkill. You can get the same size tire that you already have, the 80 series, in a Sailun, and just run them at 90 psi, so you will get a heavier tire, still in the same size, and by not running them to 110 psi, you will not impact your trailers handling or ride too much.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 02:54 AM   #4
77cruiser
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
You only have 6,000 lb axles, so G range tires would be way overkill. You can get the same size tire that you already have, the 80 series, in a Sailun, and just run them at 90 psi, so you will get a heavier tire, still in the same size, and by not running them to 110 psi, you will not impact your trailers handling or ride too much.

When I had the IS put on they installed 7K.
Old 08-01-2019, 05:59 AM   #5
ChuckS

Since you’ve upgraded axles to 7K i assume wheels were also upgraded for 8 lug .. if so I’d go up to 235/85x16 and have a peace of mind knowing you’ve got better load capacity in those tires. Sailun S637 is your best bang for the buck.
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 07:13 AM   #6
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77cruiser View Post
When I had the IS put on they installed 7K.
Going to 7K axles does not change the vehicle certified GAWR. The tire requirement on the vehicle certification label does not change just because of new axles. And, the vehicle cargo capacity isn't increased because of an axle upgrade.
Old 08-01-2019, 07:54 AM   #7
77cruiser
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
Going to 7K axles does not change the vehicle certified GAWR. The tire requirement on the vehicle certification label does not change just because of new axles. And, the vehicle cargo capacity isn't increased because of an axle upgrade.

I realize that, I think it's a durability thing.
I want the better rated tire so I can some mileage out of them.
Looking at it today & doing some quick measurements, I have some alignment issues.
Wonder if Morryde will reimburse something for tires?
Old 08-01-2019, 08:42 AM   #8
Roscommon48

i doubt if you'll get more miles out of the '85s' but go ahead and put them on, the cost is to much more and then you'll have the 4400 pounds. Replace tires at least every 4-6 years regardless of the wear.

you are also adding info. What alignment issues are you having? And why would Morryde reimburse you for tires? Tell us what is going on, it sounds like you have other issues.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 09:48 AM   #9
77cruiser
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscommon48 View Post
What alignment issues are you having? And why would Morryde reimburse you for tires? Tell us what is going on, it sounds like you have other issues.

Because I they did a poor job on the alignment after the IS installation.
Just did a rough check with the tires on & it looked like 1 rear is toed out & 1 front is towed out.
Old 08-01-2019, 12:42 PM   #10
bobbecky

This is the alignment guide for the IS. You should be able to get an alignment shop to adjust the IS, and a call to MorRyde should be able to get information on places that can align this suspension. https://www.morryde.com/uploads/down...nt%20Guide.pdf
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 01:06 PM   #11
77cruiser
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
This is the alignment guide for the IS. You should be able to get an alignment shop to adjust the IS, and a call to MorRyde should be able to get information on places that can align this suspension. https://www.morryde.com/uploads/down...nt%20Guide.pdf

I think they supplied all that info.
Thing is it should have been good when I left there.
Old 08-01-2019, 01:26 PM   #12
CWtheMan

Quote:
I think they supplied all that info.
Thing is it should have been good when I left there.
According to the specs it was good when you "left there". The OE tires provided you with 520# of excess load capacity per tire. That's way above the RVIA recommended percentage that would equal 3300# per tire. The axles were rated for the load of the trailer as built and advertised.
Old 08-01-2019, 01:36 PM   #13
77cruiser
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
According to the specs it was good when you "left there". The OE tires provided you with 520# of excess load capacity per tire. That's way above the RVIA recommended percentage that would equal 3300# per tire. The axles were rated for the load of the trailer as built and advertised.

But were they? They really slam that stuff together.
the first day all they got done was get the old off. Second day install & do alignment in less that 8 hrs.
Old 08-01-2019, 02:39 PM   #14
CWtheMan

Quote:
But were they? They really slam that stuff together.
the first day all they got done was get the old off. Second day install & do alignment in less that 8 hrs.
Now you're pointing fingers. Who are the "they" you are referring to?

I'm pretty sure the "they" are not the vehicle manufacturer. And, I doubt the suspension and axles were approved by the vehicle manufacturer. So you have unauthorized/unapproved upgrades by a third party which allows the vehicle manufacture to get completely out of the picture from any resulting problems that might arise in those areas.

Replacement tires are in the same category. They must be approved by the vehicle manufacturer. They are not going to recommend or approve a wider & taller tire to replace a smaller Original Equipment tire. Especially when the OE tires provide above satisfactory load capacities for the certified vehicle GAWRs.
Old 08-01-2019, 03:19 PM   #15
77cruiser
Gone Traveling

Morryde Is was installed.
Old 08-05-2019, 02:08 PM   #16
77cruiser
Gone Traveling

3/8 tow out front 5/16 tow out rear ya think that will wear the tires out?
Should be a 1/16 or less in.
Old 08-08-2019, 03:20 PM   #17
sgrol

I upgraded my tires from 80 to 85 Sailuns. No change to ride that I can tell. Just make sure your wheels are rated for 110 PSI tires. They should be stamped or otherwise marked with the max tire pressure.
Old 08-09-2019, 01:58 PM   #18
77cruiser
Gone Traveling

I decided to stay with the same size but in a G rating. Did the alignment with the help of Stanley. I don't think they even set the tow when they installed the new suspension.