Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Prospective Owners' Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-10-2013, 08:32 AM   #21
davidjsimons

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecfd67 View Post
Most of the time I am the steerage
Thanks for the company.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
davidjsimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:35 PM   #22
cologrl

Final Decision - Outback 272Rk

Well after much though, miles and a few door slams with some compromising after 20 years of marriage, we chose the Outback. Working the with the dealer now on after market items. Like how come no ladder or why the window on the left side of the bed but it doesnt open? Just a few grrrs....

So final advise is needed. Next item to consider, the tow truck. We live in CO, mostly dry camp but when we take long run trips, we head West but have plans to hit east national parks with this camper.

We try to travel light, min water in the tanks, basics, no kids but two mtn bikes on the end.

What truck, tow package is going to get over CO passes and travel the long road trips?

Thanks for advance advise as usual

Cologrl
cologrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:17 PM   #23
Festus2
Site Team

cologrl -
What truck? I know others will chime in with their specific favourites, but you really can't go wrong with any of the "big three" and I would recommend a 3/4T diesel for mountainous towing. Unless you eventually go into one of the bigger, heavier units, all you need for this TT is a 3/4T.

All of these trucks, GMC, Ford, and Dodge are nicely appointed and come with many optional features which make highway driving a pleasure. They are comfortable, roomy and reliable --- not great on fuel mind you, but you can't have it both ways.

While the Toyota Tundra does an excellent job for many small and some mid-sized RV's, I think you might be on the border with limits with this TT. In addition, the Tundra doesn't come packaged with diesel which might make it less desirable for your Colorado and other mountain travels.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:54 AM   #24
JRTJH
Site Team

Cologrl,

I echo what Festus2 said about a tow vehicle. That choice is pretty much up to you, but be sure to get enough truck the first time to save frustration and money....

As for the other part of your comments: The window in the bedroom is probably a escape hatch. On our fifth wheel, it will open, has a screen and we use it often for ventilation. Doublecheck the one on the RV you're interested in, you should find a lever on the bottom of the window with a red vinyl grip. That will open the window for escape. Now as for the screen, some do, some don't. Get the dealer to install one if it's not there. Oh, and make sure you read the posts here about losing the window during travel. If you "secure the red vinyl lever" during travel you won't find an empty open hole when you stop for the night.

There are a large number of keystone products that do not come with a roof ladder. Some don't have it to reduce weight, some don't because there's no structural support under the rubber roof to support a ladder. Look at other units of the same model. If none of them have a ladder, I'd suspect that Keystone doesn't recommend installation for a reason. Find out what that reason is before you insist on a ladder that may do more harm than good.....

Happy hunting, looking for the ideal RV is always fun with some bits of frustration thrown in to keep you looking longer LOL

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:45 AM   #25
TAZ23

If you look at the back of the Outback brochure it states that the Outbacks come braced for a ladder but they dont offer it as a build option (I wonder why myself). The dealer should be able to install a ladder for you.
As for your vehicle that I will leave to others as I live in the upper midwest and we have no mountain ranges to pull, but I would suspect that a diesel would be the way to go. Have fun with the new rig.
TAZ23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:43 PM   #26
lightning79

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecfd67 View Post
Most of the time I am the steerage
LOL, awesome!
Old 04-04-2013, 07:16 PM   #27
fla-gypsy

I wouldn't get hung up on meaningless terms. Choose the floorplan and features that work for you at a price you can afford. If you read this forum long enough you will realize that RV's having problems rarely have anything to do with the perceived "status" of the RV
Old 04-05-2013, 07:13 AM   #28
warsw

Quote:
Originally Posted by cologrl View Post
Well after much though, miles and a few door slams with some compromising after 20 years of marriage, we chose the Outback. Working the with the dealer now on after market items. Like how come no ladder or why the window on the left side of the bed but it doesnt open? Just a few grrrs....

So final advise is needed. Next item to consider, the tow truck. We live in CO, mostly dry camp but when we take long run trips, we head West but have plans to hit east national parks with this camper.

We try to travel light, min water in the tanks, basics, no kids but two mtn bikes on the end.

What truck, tow package is going to get over CO passes and travel the long road trips?

Thanks for advance advise as usual

Cologrl
Nice choice. You will be able to easily pull that TT with any of the larger gas motors. I had a TT that weighed about 800 lbs more than the trailer you are getting and pulled it easily all over the west with a 2011 1/2 tundra. That being said if you think you might want a larger/heavy TT in the future then now is the time to get a TV that will grow with your needs.
Old 04-11-2013, 01:49 AM   #29
dave-g

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
cologrl -
What truck? I know others will chime in with their specific favourites, but you really can't go wrong with any of the "big three" and I would recommend a 3/4T diesel for mountainous towing. Unless you eventually go into one of the bigger, heavier units, all you need for this TT is a 3/4T.

All of these trucks, GMC, Ford, and Dodge are nicely appointed and come with many optional features which make highway driving a pleasure. They are comfortable, roomy and reliable --- not great on fuel mind you, but you can't have it both ways.

While the Toyota Tundra does an excellent job for many small and some mid-sized RV's, I think you might be on the border with limits with this TT. In addition, the Tundra doesn't come packaged with diesel which might make it less desirable for your Colorado and other mountain travels.
I agree all on all except on one point- the diesel would have more power- and get better mpg- but don't rule out gas. I have the 6.2 ford f250- pulling a 12,000 lb 5th wheel. Its not short on power. I though some where you said you did not want a diesel.

With any of them- get all the factory towing options and a good weight distribution hitch.

One last thing- backing up will get better over time- radios or cell phones-a big help for blind spots and getting wife/son to say drivers side-passenger side rather than right left has helped me.

Good luck and happy shopping.
KTM 300 xc-sold
ktm 450 exc-r
dave-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:07 AM   #30
billb800si

My take seems to be different.
According to Keystone's website the "premium" trailer line up is:
Fusion= just toy haulers
Raptor= just small trailers.
I don't see either being a "premium" over the "select" line up at all.
In fact exterior appearance would go to the 2013 High Country. Enclosed propane tanks & batteries give the appearance of a stream-line trailer. At first glance it looks like a 5th wheeler not a trailer.
Happy trails,
Bill B. (Michigan)
billb800si is offline   Reply With Quote