Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-21-2019, 04:08 AM   #1
Red11

New tires

I was thinking about replacing the E rated tires on my 2012 Raptor with G rated
Just wondering if anybody has already done this and if they had any issues. thanks
Red11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 04:39 AM   #2
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red11 View Post
Just wondering if anybody has already done this and if they had any issues. thanks

Are you doing that because you want steel cased tires? Many of the LRF tires provide a load capacity of 3960# at a more desirable 95 PSI.

Here are some references for two of the popular tire choices in this forum.

https://www.carlislebrandtires.com/o...adial-trail-hd

https://www.carlislebrandtires.com/o...-detail/csl-16

https://fifthwheelst.com/documents/C...T-Modified.pdf

On Edit: When you stay with the original tire designated size - shown on the tire placard - you are basically just adding more load capacity with the same size tire at a higher load capacity rating. That fits the Keystone size requirement for replacement tires found in the owner's manual. You run into a tire industry standards dilemma when you change to another designated size. (A designated size is; ST235/80R16 or ST235/85R16).
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 07:08 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red11 View Post
The only issue I see with replacing your existing "E Rated" tires with "G Rated" tires OF THE SAME SIZE would be the pressure rating of your wheels. Some (not all) of the aluminum wheels used in the 2010-2015 years were rated at 80PSI and will not support the 110 PSI required to use the "G Rated" tires at full capacity. You'll need to verify the maximum pressure rating of your wheels. There should be some "maximum weight capacity" ratings cast into the back of the spokes of your wheels. With that information, you can find the wheel specs online or call your dealer or the wheel manufacturer to get the information.

Essentially, if your wheels are the "lighter version" rated at 3520, I'd suspect that your wheels are "80 PSI MAX" style. That's a guess, the wheel manufacturer can tell you for sure. But, if marked with that number, I don't believe your wheels will support the 110 PSI required to install Sailun tires (and use them at full capacity). Airing them up to 80 PSI would not gain you much more than the current tires already provide, it's the air that supports the additional capacity, not the tire structure.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 08:10 AM   #4
travelin texans

If your wheels aren't rated enough check out Craigslist or some of the forum classifieds. I upgraded my OEM 16" Gs to 17.5" Hs & sold the tires with at least another years worth of wear & wheels for less than you could buy just the wheels. I also found, at the time, a bargain on the 17.5" Sailun S637 H rated mounted on new wheels with new lug nuts for less than replacing the 4 Goodyear 614s. Check out Performance Trailer Braking on the internet, don't know if they still have that deal, if so would be an even better upgrade for your Raptor.
They also do disc brake upgrades, well worth the $$!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 09:29 AM   #5
daveinaz

I went with Carlisles. Seemed to be a good compromise. Not the cheapest. Not the most expensive. Seemed to be good value.
daveinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 10:35 AM   #6
Red11

thanks for the info. I actually thought about the disc brake upgrade
Red11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 08:12 AM   #7
DucBill

Red11 I have a Fuzion '14 375 running 614 G rated @ 80psi my stock rims were tated at 110psi at loads I'm carrying GY load chart is good at 80psi smoother ride but additional commercial grade tire road hazard capability for the defered maintenance hyways in USA today. Sailuns get alot of bang for buck from what I've read but my experience is with GY only. Rec a TPMS Happy Camping with your choice.
400W Solar, 5.5k CO.
DucBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 12:52 PM   #8
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DucBill View Post
Red11 I have a Fuzion '14 375 running 614 G rated @ 80psi my stock rims were tated at 110psi at loads I'm carrying GY load chart is good at 80psi smoother ride but additional commercial grade tire road hazard capability for the defered maintenance hyways in USA today. Sailuns get alot of bang for buck from what I've read but my experience is with GY only. Rec a TPMS Happy Camping with your choice.
Just an observation:

Tire industry standards are very specific when it comes to applying recommended cold inflation pressures to plus sized replacements. They read, in part; minimum cold inflation pressures for replacement tires must be set at a level that will insure the tires provide a load capacity equal to the load capacity provided by the OE tires at vehicle manufacturer recommendations.

Your OE tires provided 3420# of load capacity at 80 PSI. The G614 tires provide 3042# at 80 PSI. To meet the tire industry standard they should be inflated to 95 PSI.

Inflating tires to the load carried is a commercial tire industry standard, which is not applicable to tires that have been fitted using FMVSS.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 06:56 PM   #9
Cbrez

I put Goodyear G614 tires on the 5er soon after purchasing it. Been to Alaska and Canada with zero issues. Also got a great price for the like new factory RV (trailer king) tires. Go for it.

Steve & Diane
2015 Montana 3402RL
2017 F350 Super Duty Lariat 6.7 Powerstroke, Super Cab, Long Box, 4WD DRW
18K PullRite Super 5th ISR
Cbrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 12:49 AM   #10
Richard n Gena

Red I just bought a 2012 Raptor triple axle, I had Sailun g rated tires put on before I moved it the day of sale. My rims were stamped for 110 psi and I am glad I invested in new tires immediately.
Richard n Gena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 05:43 AM   #11
ChuckS

With a RV that size and weight I’d have upgraded day one to G rated 14 ply tires without hesitation.

Verify wheel psi pressure stamped on back side of wheel and upgrade to 14 ply tires. Sailun S637 will serve you well for many years and yes...they are as good as if not better than GY G614 at half the cost.

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 07:13 AM   #12
gearhead

This thread is getting a bit old, but if the OP is still following it...you may find on the back of the wheel spokes some lettering like 6H 3240 8H 3950. They are referencing how many lug bolt holes are on the wheel. There may not be a PSI value stamped on them. You will have to look at a tire chart to match the load ratings of the wheels and the tire.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires