Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-10-2018, 11:11 AM   #1
jimsmc

Automatic Ice Maker Cutoff

Hey Friends! I have a Keystone Sprinter Limited 3341FWFLS with a Samsung stainless steel residential refrigerator. The fridge came with an ice maker--something your occasional weekend RV camper doesn't really need. I read the book and it says there is a cutoff switch next to, and under, the sink, but for the life of me I cannot find it. There are lots of red and blue plastic pipes under there, but I cannot find a "switch" to turn off the flow to the ice maker. Anyone have any ideas for me?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Jim
jimsmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 11:58 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

It's not a "switch" but two valves that you'll be looking for. One is under the sink, above the unheated space and the other is behind the refrigerator, also inside the heated space. They are 1/4 turn valves, should be in the blue PEX line that goes to the cold water faucet on the galley sink.

The purpose of having two valves (not switches) is to turn the water off before it flows into the "below the slide plumbing". That way, you won't damage your ice maker line during winter's freezing temperatures. The valve behind the refrigerator is there so anything that might melt in the ice maker or any water that's in the line behind the refrigerator won't flow back down to the exposed plumbing.

There is a diagram in the Keystone Owner's Manual that depicts approximately where the valves are located, but each trailer can differ from that basic diagram, so you might find it somewhere "close by".... If you go under your trailer, you'll find the 1/2" PEX line that connects to a flexible line which enters the slide under the refrigerator. Follow that line toward the center of the trailer and you'll see a "low point drain" under the galley sink area. There may also be a 1/4 turn valve on that low point drain. Some have the third valve, some don't.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 12:12 PM   #3
jimsmc

How hard is it to get behind the fridge to the cutoff? The fridge itself sits on the slide out and there is a "lip" of sorts there. Does it roll? Thanks so much for the quick reply!
Old 09-10-2018, 12:55 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

It ain't easy !!!! But it's not impossible either. On some floorplans you can reach it by slipping a "skinny arm" behind the refrigerator. On some floorplans, it's in the back of an adjoining cupboard, and on some floorplans you have to unfasten the refrigerator securing straps and pull it out 4 or 5 inches to get to the valve. I've no idea on your trailer exactly where the valve is located, so sorry, I can't tell you how hard it is to operate it. Did you find the one under the trailer and on the cold water line under the galley sink?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 09-10-2018, 01:03 PM   #5
jimsmc

I was afraid of that! No, sir, I’m afraid the camper is in storage right now. Taking it out in a couple of weeks, but last time I was in it I had looked for a way to shut down the ice maker because we were already getting mold in the tray from melting ice and, of course, I want the lines dry for winter.
Old 09-10-2018, 01:07 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

The diagram I talked about is on page 42 of the 2019 Keystone Owner's Manual. You can download it here: https://www.keystonerv.com/owners/owners-manuals/ That should give you a pretty good idea of what to look for and about where you'll find the valves.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 09-10-2018, 01:28 PM   #7
jimsmc

Thank you so much, John!! I really appreciate your help. I’ll let you know what I find.
Old 09-10-2018, 01:56 PM   #8
Ddubya

My cutoff is behind a panel under the oven which is next to the fridge

Ddubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 08:26 PM   #9
Old Mustanger

besides turning the water off as y'all have been talking about, You should also be able to turn the ice maker off inside the fridge. look at the panel at the top that shows the temperatures there is a touch "button" that if pushed a small symbol lights up that reads ice maker off (may need a magnifying glass to read it).
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 02:50 AM   #10
Tbos

Thanks for pointing out there was another valve hidden behind or near the fridge. I’m hoping I can get to it by removing the panel under the oven in my Alpine. I’m not sure I’d be able to reach it if it’s behind the fridge. If it’s not there I may just disconnect the line under the slide to make sure it drains. Since there is no way to blow out the ice maker I wonder if having it on when we open the low point drain would help it vent to drain.
FYI, the manual, page 45, also says not to run the antifreeze through the ice maker but mine came with pink in the ice maker from the factory.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 06:12 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbos View Post
...FYI, the manual, page 45, also says not to run the antifreeze through the ice maker but mine came with pink in the ice maker from the factory.
It sounds like whoever winterized your trailer at the end of the assembly line didn't read the owner's manual before doing the job.... Not trying to be "funny" but rather saying that the factory probably has people who don't know what they're doing or who are "filling in for someone who called in sick"... My guess would be that any corrosion or damage caused by adding antifreeze to the ice maker would not show up for a while, probably well after the warranty ends, so it's likely that it'll never get back to the factory that they caused or could have caused a problem with what happened.

In your situation, it probably doesn't make a significant difference as it was only in the ice maker a few days before the dealer did the PDI and delivered the trailer to you. It would probably make a significant difference if the trailer had sat on the lot for possibly a year or more with antifreeze in those components. Likely something we'll never know for sure.

That doesn't make it right, doesn't even make it less important, but if adding antifreeze to the ice maker might be the cause of a problem, chances are Keystone will never know and will have missed the opportunity to fix a problem on the line that they never knew was a problem.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 09-11-2018, 08:41 AM   #12
Old Mustanger

Ours had pink ice in the tray when we opened the freezer during our PDI, and didn't think about it possibly causing corrosion. Trailer was built in October and we bought in early March so I guess it sat with antifreeze in the ice maker for about 5 months, hope we don't have a problem in the future.
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 05:09 PM   #13
Tbos

I talk with the area Rep for Alpine occasionally. Next time I do I will try to remember to mention the antifreeze issue.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 06:13 AM   #14
GlennB724

another point to note: the ice maker line that goes behind the oven can have excessive "slack" extra line that can actually touch the back of the oven. When the oven is used at high temperature, it will melt the line causing a flood in your kitchen. I know this from personal experience. Use caution regarding the placement of that tube.
GlennB724 is offline   Reply With Quote