Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 06-12-2018, 03:06 PM   #1
steamboatscott

Combo permenant + portable solar setup

Anyone ever combine a permanent + portable solar panel setup with the same controller? I'm desiring a small permanent panel for trickle charging the battery in storage, then a larger (ie. 100-120 watt) portable panel that I plug into an extension cord when camping in the shade. Wiring in series, I can see a setup where the portable unit is plugged into the permanent loop in series, then when not used...some sort of jumper plug is installed to simply complete the circuit when the portable unit isn't connected.
steamboatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 04:34 PM   #2
SR71 Jet Mech

It may actually be more practical to run two controllers. One for the trickle, and a second for the other. Tie the controllers to the battery bank in parallel. Just plug the othe panel in if you need it. Since you’re using a super low wattage system you can use two cheap PWM controllers. Make sure you add a diode to each on the PV side of the charger to eliminate battery discharge at night or low sun periods.
SR71 Jet Mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 03:36 AM   #3
SC Dreamer

Many of the smaller panels for battery maintain have a built in control, so in theory you could just leave it connected all the time. If you go with a smaller ie. 200w or less panel, I would suggest an mppt controller. They are so much more efficient and if you get a slightly larger one, available to add panels only later instead of starting over with a whole new system. It all takes up space.
SC Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar