Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Prospective Owners' Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-25-2015, 11:10 PM   #1
NWCatOwner

Why purchase a Keystone rig over another company?

Yep, title basically says it all. Obviously those on this list will be biased towards a Keystone over another company, but I really am curious.

We've just started looking around at RVs and I've looked at motor homes from Forest River, Jayco and Jamboree, as well as 5th wheels from Jayco, Gateway (Heartland), Cruiser (Cross Roads) and Rockwood.

Why choose a Keystone over something from another company?

Thanks much!
Old 02-26-2015, 02:52 AM   #2
Scttw

Hi there .....

This past fall - I had the unfortunate experience of attending a funeral for the person who sold us our Alpine. Sad part is he was only 28. Truck t-boned him.

After the funeral everyone was asked to go to the local pub and have a drink for the deceased. For a couple hours I chatted with the owner of the dealership and I specifically asked him your question ...... As he now only sells Keystone, whereas he use to sell all brands.

He said hands down Keystone is MUCH better to work with for warranty claims while the others deny and deny .... At the end of the day he has to keep his customers happy and he said he can do that a lot easier with Keystone.

That went a long way with me and should help at least from one persons perspective why Keystone.
80 x 175 lot
Pics of our Setup
Scttw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 03:03 AM   #3
Jay Pat

I've only owned one rv and it was purchased new.
When shopping for one, I looked at floor plans that would fit our lifestyle.
The winner just happened to be a Keystone.
Now, they have quit making that model/floor plan.
If and when I decide to purchase another, I'll shop floor plans again.
Pat

I have been very pleased with the Keystone!
Jay Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 04:51 AM   #4
GaryWT

I could be wrong but I don't think buying a trailer is like buying a ford or Chevy, where people stick with one company. For me it is what do the local dealers sell and what is the floor plan that I like. This time it was a Keystone and my Keystone is build better than the Heartland that I traded in, mostly better axles and suspension.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 05:17 AM   #5
{tpc}

Scttw makes an interesting point about warranty claims. I wonder if that is why our closest dealer seemingly has more keystones on the lot than other brands...
Old 02-26-2015, 05:51 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Keystone "claims itself" as "one of the largest RV manufacturers in the world". So naturally, they would have a larger percentage of units sitting on dealership lots. (make more/sell more). Many people "in the business" have reported that Keystone is "easier to work with" or "has faster response" or "has better warranty claims service", etc.... Because of this, they may (or may not) have a better "dealer relationship"....

However, for me (others may differ) here are the most important considerations when looking for a new RV:

1. FIND A QUALITY DEALER with a good and reputable service department.
2. Find a floorplan that works for you.
3. Haggle on price but realize that you get what you pay for and cheaper is not always the "best buy".

In preparation to begin your search, read through the "Prospective Owner's Questions" to glean information about different topics and different concerns that new owner's have. Then go to this link, download the PDI checklist. Read through it, become familiar with the "inspection points" and use them as a basis to "judge quality" when you look at RV's on dealer lots. If you find a number of items that are on the PDI that are "substandard" when compared to another trailer you just looked at, that should tell you something about what the future may hold.

The checklist is linked in the first post at this webpage: http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5129

Many of the components in travel trailers are marketed by only a few manufacturers. Many of their items are identical, but realize that there are several "feature improvements" on different models of the same "brand name" (think Ford/Lincoln or Chevrolet/Cadillac) so make sure you're comparing "apples to apples" when you compare trailer brands and the appliances/components that are in them.

Good Luck, don't settle, find what fits your needs and desires and realize that somewhere, someone makes a quality unit at a fair price that will work well for your type of RVing.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 06:42 AM   #7
wahoonc

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
~snip~
However, for me (others may differ) here are the most important considerations when looking for a new RV:

2. Find a floorplan that works for you.
3. Haggle on price but realize that you get what you pay for and cheaper is not always the "best buy".~snip~
This about sums it up To me the dealer is much more important than just about anything else. Sad part is we lost our last independent local dealer a few years back to Camping World. Now I have to drive over an hour to get to one.

I have owned quite a few different brands of RV's over the years. They all pretty much use the same components, there are differing levels of quality between manufacturers as well as the brands by that manufacturer. Keystone is owned by Thor... who also owns many other brands. Dutchmen is one of them. Dutchmen used to make reasonable quality units, recently they were shut down by Thor management, apparently due to abysmal quality control. My Dutchmen "built" Coleman was built by Keystone. From what I gather Dutchmen was put under Keystone management.

Pick a floor plan you like, search for comparable models, decide what features you want and are willing to pay for. Settle on a dealer, price and product. Then do the PDI from hell to make sure it was built to your satisfaction. If it wasn't don't be afraid to walk away. Every manufacturer has a bad unit every now and again, some of them just seem to produce more of them. I would especially watch out for all new models where there have been major changes, too much OJT going on IMHO.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 07:25 AM   #8
JoePK

Rigs

Hello, we've found that Keystone gives you a lot more trailer for your buck. There's a lot of brands in our area, and the prices for similar size trailers are thousands more. Our Simi Valley RV dealer has an excellent service manager too.
Old 02-26-2015, 07:51 AM   #9
NotyetMHCowner

Floor plan. We looked at EVERY rig available (and within our price range) and it happened to be a Montana High Country 305RL that is made by Keystone. We ended up going with a wholesaler up north because of over $7K in savings. Would liked to have dealt with local dealer, but didn't make sense. They have theirs priced pretty well, but would not come down one dollar. I would have paid more obviously, just not that much. Time will tell whether it was a wise choice or not. If not, then next trailer will probably be local (if they are still in business).

Our last TT was a Rockwood. It was definitely built with less quality, but we didn't have any problems and it was a good unit, but Rockwood didn't offer what we were looking for. Wildcat came close but Montana won out.
1998 Coleman Grandview pop-up with slide

Trucks:
2006 Ford F350 CC, SB, DRW, 4x4
1992 Ford F150 SC, SB, 4x4
NotyetMHCowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 08:05 AM   #10
chuckster57
Site Team

Because I work on them, I get an "inside" view of many different brands. I can say without bias that Keystone does a better job than most. I am not "brand loyal" as I have owned fifth wheels from Fleetwood, Jayco and now Keystone. It's all about the floor plan and the obvious attention to construction. Cabinet doors that line up and are straight. Trim that's not short at the ends, stuff like that.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 09:06 AM   #11
NWCatOwner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotyetMHCowner View Post
Floor plan. We looked at EVERY rig available (and within our price range) and it happened to be a Montana High Country 305RL that is made by Keystone. We ended up going with a wholesaler up north because of over $7K in savings. Would liked to have dealt with local dealer, but didn't make sense. They have theirs priced pretty well, but would not come down one dollar. I would have paid more obviously, just not that much. Time will tell whether it was a wise choice or not. If not, then next trailer will probably be local (if they are still in business).
Do you think you'll have problems getting it serviced? Will you have to go to the local dealer you didn't purchase from or elsewhere? I've heard that dealers don't have to legally service your rig if you bought it elsewhere. And had this confirmed by a service tech at a dealer in Spokane last weekend, when he was telling me their general manager wants them to treat RVs from everyone the same, regardless of where it was bought. It sounded like he wasn't happy with that decision.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:11 AM   #12
NWCatOwner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Keystone "claims itself" as "one of the largest RV manufacturers in the world". (snip)

(snip)

Then go to this link, download the PDI checklist. (snip)

Good Luck, don't settle, find what fits your needs and desires and realize that somewhere, someone makes a quality unit at a fair price that will work well for your type of RVing.
Thanks! I've already downloaded the PDI and will read it later. I kind of eyeball all those "claims" with a "yeah, okay" sort of view as everyone can turn facts around to fit their claims.

I do have a follow up question to your #1 above. How can you find that out about a dealer? Ask on this forum if anyone has dealt with them?

And yeah, I'm not getting a floor plan I'm not very happy with. That's my #1 priority (besides budget).
Old 02-26-2015, 09:13 AM   #13
Festus2
Site Team

Dealers are under no obligation to service your RV if you didn't buy it from them. Some will but I believe the majority of them do not - even if they are an "authorized" Keystone dealer. They might do warranty work for you but your work order will end up at the bottom of the pile and you'll probably have to wait for quite some time before they get around to servicing it.

If you can purchase an RV from a reputable and competent dealer who will do work for you even if you didn't buy it from him and who is reasonably close to you - I'd go for it.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:45 AM   #14
sourdough
Site Team

As has been stated the dealer is of paramount importance. The way they interface with you and Keystone can make all the difference in the world.

As far as why Keystone? Before we bought our last trailer last February I looked at Keystone, Heartland, Jayco, Rockwood, Palomino and I can't remember the rest. Keystone was hands down better built. Push the walls; push the cabinet bottoms; close the cabinet doors and listen to them; look a the trim; how many staples/screws are halfway in/out; look around the edges of the slide when out (you could see daylight thru the Rockwood and Palomino); bounce on the floor; pull up the bed and look at the construction; the pass thru; on and on. I think you'll find the Keystone will be the better unit.

From the perspective of reputation/service; I was visiting with my original salesman the other day while my trailer was in for some warranty repairs...all approved by Keystone without hassle, and he said I was lucky I didn't get a Heartland because they were terrible to try to get warranty work approved and he was constantly being approached by unhappy owners about it. Good enough for me.

In a nutshell that's why I have Keystone. I'm not "brand loyal", it is my first (I've owned Jayco, Fleetwood and Rockwood)....but it won't be my last after the experiences I've had in the past year.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 10:38 AM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWCatOwner View Post
Thanks! I've already downloaded the PDI and will read it later. I kind of eyeball all those "claims" with a "yeah, okay" sort of view as everyone can turn facts around to fit their claims.

I do have a follow up question to your #1 above. How can you find that out about a dealer? Ask on this forum if anyone has dealt with them?

And yeah, I'm not getting a floor plan I'm not very happy with. That's my #1 priority (besides budget).
As for how to find a "reputable dealer". Talk to previous customers, BBB reports, Chamber of Commerce organization in that area. Generally speaking, you can get a pretty good idea of what the service department is like by "hanging around" while they check in and check out a couple of customers. Talk to customers in the service department and see if they even know if their salesman is still there.... If they were "forgotten" or "flushed" by sales as soon as they drove off the lot, that might tell you something, especially if they are having issues with the service department also. It's probably more a "gut feeling" but if you're not happy with what you see, chances are you won't be happy after the sale.

As for the part in red.... No matter the floorplan, if you pay too much for what you get, or if you go "cheap" so you can get the floorplan in an "inferior" trailer, in the long run, you probably won't be happy. Try to balance the floorplan with price, but don't let price be your deciding factor especially between similar floorplans. Revert to the "best investment" and "dealer reputation". Remember, no matter how "sweet" the floorplan and price are, if you can't get anyone to fix what broke, just how "sweet" is it? Having a good dealer who will support you after the sale is much more satisfying than saving a little on the purchase price.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-26-2015, 11:58 AM   #16
NotyetMHCowner

I wont be taking my camper to the local dealer. They probably would not want me to, and I think it would be wrong. I am buying an extended warranty from the selling dealer that has a nationwide network of independent shops all over the place. There are 5 just in my area alone. Is it a gamble? Yes. But, no matter where I am at, I will be able to find someone to help me out. Most of the things that quit working on a camper are some other brand anyway, not Keystone. Any independent shop can handle those issues. There have been thousands of RV units some from wholesalers with overwhelming positive results. Like I said before, only time will tell if it was a wise decision.
1998 Coleman Grandview pop-up with slide

Trucks:
2006 Ford F350 CC, SB, DRW, 4x4
1992 Ford F150 SC, SB, 4x4
NotyetMHCowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 12:34 PM   #17
chuckster57
Site Team

We service units not purchased here. Limited to 5 items.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 01:06 PM   #18
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotyetMHCowner View Post
I wont be taking my camper to the local dealer. They probably would not want me to, and I think it would be wrong. I am buying an extended warranty from the selling dealer that has a nationwide network of independent shops all over the place. There are 5 just in my area alone. Is it a gamble? Yes. But, no matter where I am at, I will be able to find someone to help me out. Most of the things that quit working on a camper are some other brand anyway, not Keystone. Any independent shop can handle those issues. There have been thousands of RV units some from wholesalers with overwhelming positive results. Like I said before, only time will tell if it was a wise decision.
Sounds like you've got all the answers you need. Now just hold your nose and jump in the water. Good Luck !!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-26-2015, 02:03 PM   #19
jrp

"Why purchase a Keystone rig over another company? "

Buy whichever rig is available at the right price in the layout you prefer. Which mfg name is on the unit is a minor consideration. I have 3 RV's from 3 diff mfg's. Keystone isn't better or worse than a dozen others. They all have quality & assembly issues. They all use the cheapest components they can get away with. they all try to deny every warranty claim.
unless you're willing to fix all the small stuff yourself, you waste a lot of time & frustration at the dealer.
jrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 11:27 PM   #20
buzzcop63

Curtis trailer is rated as one of the top 50 dealers in the US; they have been in business since 1948. I spent 6 years going to all the local dealers and reading my subscription of Trailer Life, checking out books from the Library on all aspects of trailering. Also attended a couple RV shows each year. You ask questions, you really take your time and look through and around trailers. I found dealerships that I would not even go back to just because the sales people were nothing more then hustlers. At good dealerships the salesmen took time and explained their products, after years of listening and reading everything I could find you began to pick the truth from the bull. Anyway, to make a long story shorter the wife finally said lets get one and as I was finally retired, we did, from Curtis and after three years we are very happy with our purchase.

My only regret is that we did not pay more money! I would have preferred to pay more for high quality tires and suspension or at least had the option!