bapp1236

Quote:
Originally Posted by Local150 View Post
Ingenious,, you obviously very handy,, looks to me you have got something there
Thanks, I love to tinker.

bapp1236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 07:50 AM   #62
Ken / Claudia

Thanks for the reply, that much difference is a big deal IMO and a good one. I get the engineering of the change, maybe missed the before and after numbers. I believe your being honest in the information and including the the wheel/ axle upgrade is important.

Yellow Lab "Dacoda"
Retired Oregon State Police
Now a small town traffic cop
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 11:11 AM   #63
Local150

Quote:
Originally Posted by bapp1236 View Post
I've built horse trailers with living quarters over 20 years professionally, some over 40' long. How many have you made? This rig is engineered and reinforced to those industry standards which far surpass RV standards because you're hauling a live load and it's not legal to ride in a TT in most states. The entire conversion added just 300 lbs. The ProPride hitch and stinger weighed 250. I've towed this rig over 1000 miles with no stress problems. The tires are 225/75-15 S speed rated and load range D on two 5k dexter axels. which will support 10K. Like I mentioned earlier, even if it still had stock axels, there would be 1600 lb additional capacity. In short, you believe a person who could engineer a conversion such as this isn't smart enough to think of the axels?
I am on your side totally,, I think what you have done here. I would be shocked if they aren't on the market someday. It's just a way to put the weight where it should be,, over the axle not several feet behind it. Keep up the good work,, you have something here
Local150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 02:34 PM   #64
bapp1236

Quote:
Originally Posted by Local150 View Post
I am on your side totally,, I think what you have done here. I would be shocked if they aren't on the market someday. It's just a way to put the weight where it should be,, over the axle not several feet behind it. Keep up the good work,, you have something here
Thanks for the vote of confidence.
Old 10-06-2018, 08:02 PM   #65
cookinwitdiesel

Functionally it does seem like a no brainer to me for these to be more common. I imagine it is liability concerns keeping them from being more widespread and available.

2018 Keystone Hideout 28RKS Travel Trailer
cookinwitdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 06:31 AM   #66
bapp1236

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookinwitdiesel View Post
Functionally it does seem like a no brainer to me for these to be more common. I imagine it is liability concerns keeping them from being more widespread and available.
The other day I ran across a website that builds and sells something similar to what I've built. I don't know if I would have paid the $2,500 plus shipping they want and
mine has a few more supports to account for the extra stress on the A-frame, but this one looks like it would work if you have a strong A-frame.

https://www.bpconversions.com/products
Old 10-07-2018, 07:33 AM   #67
cookinwitdiesel

I did see that and look through their website. They are clearly a small shop, hopefully with more volume they could bring the price down. but if I had to choose between the Gooseneck adapter and a ProPride (about the same money) I would take the gooseneck (assuming my truck can hook up to it).

That being said, both solutions seem too rich for my blood at this point. My trailer was only $19k new

2018 Keystone Hideout 28RKS Travel Trailer
cookinwitdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote