Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-06-2016, 07:58 AM   #1
Milocka

Dual 6v golf cart battery setup

Just picked up 2 new 6v batteries with reserve capacity of 415 at 25amps. Now my dilemma is how to mount them in the 5th wheel. I had a standard group27 12v that had its own vented box that was recessed into the steel belly pan of the front storage area. I've looked around the web for a dual 6v battery tray without much success. Anyone else do this? I'd like to see how you converted to dual 6volts from a 12 while still keeping the battery in the compartment at the front storage area of your 5th wheel. I might just go get some heavy gauge sheet metal and make my own tray?
Milocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 10:43 AM   #2
chris199

Am doing the same thing! Just received my two Trojan T145s today!

Check out this box on Amazon. It's what I understand others have used with Trojans...they stand a bit taller from what I understand than typical batteries.

NOCO HM426 Dual 6-Volt Commercial Grade Battery Box for Automotive, Marine and RV Batteries

NOCO HM426 Dual 6-Volt Commercial Grade Battery Box for Automotive, Marine and RV Batteries https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003VAUG5A..._Nxolxb6A8S77D

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

2015 Keystone Montana 3791RD Legacy Edition, MorRyde 4000, Dual pane windows, Goodyear G rated tires.

2013 GMC Sierra 3500HD, Duramax, SLE, SRW, Crew, Hensley Trailer Saver hitch, Blue Ox BedSaver.
chris199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 10:50 AM   #3
chris199

Also...someone on the Montana forum did the same thing. See if you can get to this. Has procedure and pics. If you cannot. PM me...I'll email you the info.

I thought you might be interested in this post:

http://montanaadministrator.forumco....TOPIC_ID=65056

2015 Keystone Montana 3791RD Legacy Edition, MorRyde 4000, Dual pane windows, Goodyear G rated tires.

2013 GMC Sierra 3500HD, Duramax, SLE, SRW, Crew, Hensley Trailer Saver hitch, Blue Ox BedSaver.
Old 05-06-2016, 10:51 AM   #4
chris199

Here's that post

I just completed (this week) the battery upgrade using the NOCO HM426 and 2 Trojan T145 6 Volt batteries. My opinion and what I did:
I sealed the box using Weather strip foam around the lid and Great Stuff in the cable slots around the top of the box.
I cut a 2" hole in the bottom and placed a 2" OD PVC straight connector I got from Home Depot for the vent inlet.
Also cut a 2" hole in the center Box Lid and added a 2' OD 45 degree connector to connect to the vent hose. Used epoxy to fix both PVCs in place.
Seems airtight and adequate to me. The improvement is phenomenal!!! Previously I had a 75AH battery that died quickly.
Again, my opinion and what I did. Pictures below. (pictures do show the Great stuff I filled the cable holes with; but I did after I took this picture).

Revision to original post....
Slight correction to my posting above. I actually used a 1 1/4" 45 degree elbow for the top of the box vent connection to the vent hose. I had planned on using the 2" OD and actually made it fit after reducing it's OD, but the 1 1/4" PVC connector I mention above works better with the vent hose. The 2" straight connector worked great in the bottom of the box and the hole that was already present in the steel compartment floor. The actual OD of the top vent is less than 2" as shown in the picture below.

I hope this helps!!

Old 05-06-2016, 11:49 AM   #5
SkiSmuggs

AllBattery carries Noco and Century dual and quad 6v battery boxes

http://www.allbatterysalesandservice...cfm/4,576.html

I buy everything from Amazon...except this. Amazon was outrageous for the NOCO.
Old 05-07-2016, 05:44 AM   #6
Milocka

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris199 View Post
Am doing the same thing! Just received my two Trojan T145s today!

Check out this box on Amazon. It's what I understand others have used with Trojans...they stand a bit taller from what I understand than typical batteries.

NOCO HM426 Dual 6-Volt Commercial Grade Battery Box for Automotive, Marine and RV Batteries

NOCO HM426 Dual 6-Volt Commercial Grade Battery Box for Automotive, Marine and RV Batteries https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003VAUG5A..._Nxolxb6A8S77D

Thanks for the info! I have Interstate 6V. I'll need to measure them to see compatibility with the NOCO box.
Old 05-07-2016, 06:18 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

We bought the same NOCO box from Amazon in 2013. Back then, the price was comparable to other internet prices. Now, it appears that Amazon is asking nearly double the price of other outlets. It's about $90 at Amazon and is $51 at http://www.allbatterysalesandservice...fm/4,9098.html I don't know what they charge for shipping, so the final price isn't quite that low.

Anyway, for the past 3 years we've used this battery box. It fits the front compartment of our fifth wheel very well, has not cracked, split or bulged at all. It's "air tight" with a "closed cell foam" gasket that I made from self adhesive weather stripping. It's made for GP 6 six volt batteries, so two will fit in the box with very little "room for movement. The box can be secured to the "trailer compartment floor" with self tapping screws. Ours hasn't moved or loosened since installed.

For my use, the NOCO 426 is a "winner".

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 07:30 AM   #8
Desert185

Are the batteries sitting on the screw heads or did you secure with self-tappers through an outside flange?
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 11:40 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
Are the batteries sitting on the screw heads or did you secure with self-tappers through an outside flange?
No, the screws are outside the actual box, in the corners where there is a molded "attachment tab". If you look at the box pictures on Amazon, you can see the slots where the screws would be installed. The inside of the box floor is smooth with ridges to elevate the batteries allowing circulation under them. The last picture on Amazon shows the interior pretty well.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 12:07 PM   #10
Desert185

OK, thanks. It appears this is the box I'll get.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 01:44 AM   #11
rjsurfer

Used two Century white plastic box's for my 4 Trojan T 105 installation. Used some small aluminum angle "iron" on the outside of the box's to keep them from moving. I got some black flexible sump pump tubing about 2" OD for a vent system.

Ron W.
700 watts solar
2000 watt inverter
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 10:08 AM   #12
Lawdog

OP, not sure what camper you have, but I just did this mod on my new Cougar X-Lite. I will post pictures later. I put a Century Plastics GC-G (squarish box, not the long rectangular one) dual box in the front storage area, on the passenger side. It sits adjacent to the metal wall between the front storage compartment and the factory battery compartment. I cut a hole in the metal sidewall of the factory battery compartment. To use the existing vent, I simply added extra length to the original vent hose and ran it through the cut hole to the top of the battery box, where I cut a hole for it. It is sealed tight. I regrounded the batteries a good ground point on that wall. Sealed up the box on top. I did not anchor the box to the floor. Instead, I put sticky drawer liner down underneath the box . Even after one serious emergency stop, the batteries have not moved even a little. Next up, I will install a battery monitor setup to keep a good check on their health.

RAM 3500 Cummins HO
2016 Cougar X-Lite 28RDB
Kawasaki Teryx 4 LE
Lawdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 10:15 AM   #13
Milocka

Dual 6v golf cart battery setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawdog View Post
OP, not sure what camper you have, but I just did this mod on my new Cougar X-Lite. I will post pictures later. I put a Century Plastics GC-G (squarish box, not the long rectangular one) dual box in the front storage area, on the passenger side. It sits adjacent to the metal wall between the front storage compartment and the factory battery compartment. I cut a hole in the metal sidewall of the factory battery compartment. To use the existing vent, I simply added extra length to the original vent hose and ran it through the cut hole to the top of the battery box, where I cut a hole for it. It is sealed tight. I regrounded the batteries a good ground point on that wall. Sealed up the box on top. I did not anchor the box to the floor. Instead, I put sticky drawer liner down underneath the box . Even after one serious emergency stop, the batteries have not moved even a little. Next up, I will install a battery monitor setup to keep a good check on their health.

I ended up buying the NOCO box. Haven't installed it yet. It is too high to sit in the storage tray, so I'm going to get creative. I'll post pics too.

I have a 2010 Laredo 305TG
Old 05-16-2016, 01:52 PM   #14
chris199

I don't know if this will help but here are some pics of my recent install using the NOCO box and two Trojan T145 6v batteries:

Cut a hole in bottom of box and inserted a vent (available at RV store or Amazon) to align with OEM hole in floor from original 12v battery. Drilled 2 3/4" with hole saw.

Move posts from original OEM box to the NOCO box. Also used a 45 degree PVC elbow to create the vent on top. Drilled all 3 holes with 1 1/4 hole saw.

Added weather stripping to top perimeter of box and filled the 4 cable raceways on box sides with spray foam insulation.

End Product:

Old 05-16-2016, 02:02 PM   #15
Milocka

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris199 View Post
I don't know if this will help but here are some pics of my recent install using the NOCO box and two Trojan T145 6v batteries:

Cut a hole in bottom of box and inserted a vent (available at RV store or Amazon) to align with OEM hole in floor from original 12v battery. Drilled 2 3/4" with hole saw.

Move posts from original OEM box to the NOCO box. Also used a 45 degree PVC elbow to create the vent on top. Drilled all 3 holes with 1 1/4 hole saw.

Added weather stripping to top perimeter of box and filled the 4 cable raceways on box sides with spray foam insulation.

End Product:

Wouldn't the single vent you installed on the top of the box be adequate to vent the batteries? Why do you need a 2nd vent on the bottom of the box? Cross breeze type of thinking?
Old 05-16-2016, 02:08 PM   #16
chris199

To be honest I mimicked how it was setup from the dealer. Install looks identical to original....just bigger box and 2 batteries. I had some "McGivering" to do but it worked out fine.

I am assuming the airflow is the concern. The hydrogen gas those batteries can put off is highly explosive. I am assuming the more venting the better.

Hole in floor in that compartment was there with original box. Original box had a tube molded in the base for air flow and the base tube fit right in thru hole in floor.

Old 05-16-2016, 04:09 PM   #17
Lawdog

OP, yes you do want some venting on the bottom for fresh air intake to allow for air exchange. Chris did it right. The Century box has a raised part in the middle and I made a couple openings there to allow for flow.

Here's mine for others who might have a similar setup.

First pic is the factory battery compartment and the vent hose going through the new hole I cut. Second pic is the box setting in front storage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	battery mod 1.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	10498   Click image for larger version

Name:	battery mod 2.jpg
Views:	444
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	10499  

RAM 3500 Cummins HO
2016 Cougar X-Lite 28RDB