Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-05-2016, 11:14 AM   #1
dwayne564

LP line issue on Cougar 289RBH

Hello,

Replaced the pressure relief valve already, one side works good, nothing from the far side, but gas from the short side, any way to clean the line, without replacing the line, ( tanks are not side by side). line is connected to galvanized pipe to the other side, then a LP line to the tank Fifth wheel is a 2007 Keystone Cougar

Thanks
dwayne564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 02:35 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Okay, so I understand what your saying: you have a propane bottle on each side of the fiver. One side has the regulator that feeds the trailer. To that regulator is a short pigtail that attaches to the bottle.

On the other side is a bottle with a pigtail from the bottle to a regulator, and then over to the other side. The piping from the "off" side is pipe or hose?

Are you trying to check/clean the crossover line, or the feed line?

If you remove the regulator from the crossover line at both ends, you can use compressed air to blow it out.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 04:44 AM   #3
jsmith948

You might also check the 'pig tail' on the non functioning bottle. We had problems with the road side bottle - the safety shut off/flow reducer would not allow gas through. New pig tail was about $15. Just a suggestion

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 06:50 AM   #4
cw3jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith948 View Post
You might also check the 'pig tail' on the non functioning bottle. We had problems with the road side bottle - the safety shut off/flow reducer would not allow gas through. New pig tail was about $15. Just a suggestion
This and that high pressure regulator on that side is infamous for leaking. It is also a 15.00 dollar part. Easy to replace.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
B&W Patriot 16k fifth wheel hitch
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 07:52 AM   #5
PerryB

On the far side tank its easy to trip the excess flow valve because of the line volume between the tank and the main regulator. Also that safety regulator they put on the far side will cause a premature switch over in cold weather. I ditched mine a couple years ago.
PerryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 10:21 AM   #6
bobbecky

There is a reason those high pressure regulators are installed on the rigs with tanks on opposites sides and it's not wise to just remove them. I found this explanation a while back on a different forum and have posted it before.

The main reason for the red regulator is to make sure that once the propane leaves the tank as a vapor that it stays a vapor. Propane regulators in trailers do not regulate liquid only vapor. If the regulator was not there the pressure in the hose/pipe would be the same as the tank. This could lead to the vapor condensing back into a liquid. With a reduction in the pressure from the regulator to the other side of the coach this will greatly reduce the possibility of the vapor in the crossover hose turning back into a liquid. This is all based on propane’s vapor/pressure saturation points. The lower the pressure the lower the temperature to turn it back into a liquid.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 07:02 PM   #7
PerryB

I'm not seeing how LPG can turn " back " into a liquid if it left the tank as a vapor, and did so as a result of boiling off at ambient temperature. My left side regulator was fooling the switchover valve into thinking the tank was empty when it was 50% full. More if it was very cold. Also if recondensation is truly a concern, they should have step-down regulators on both tanks. That would also solve the premature switchover since both lines would be equally regulated at the switch, which operates via pressure differential. Actually they could just put a standard 11" W.C. regulator on the end of each pigtail and run a stand-alone switchover valve.

P.S. -- I officially recommend that consumers do not bypass or remove any O.E.M. safety equipment.........
PerryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 07:06 AM   #8
hankaye

Howdy All;

I don't know the hows and whys propane might change back into a liquid
after it may leave the road side tank on it's journey to the curbside
regulator..... All I know is that 3 years ago when I disconnected from my
Winter bottle (125 gal.), and re-connected to the 30 pounders, I heard
what sounded like a liquid in the black pipe while I was storing something
in the front storage area. Roadside tank wouldn't "pass-gas" to the curb-
side. Removed and replaced both regulators as well as the connector hoses
from the bottles to the regulators. Everything has worked fine since.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote