Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 02-09-2016, 09:52 PM   #21
Paul H

Chucking probably wasn't the right term to use in my post. What I am concerned about is the stresses transferred to the frame of the trailer through the hitch from the expansion joints/irregularities in the pavement. It's almost like the trailer/pin weight isn't enough to flex the springs on my truck (shocks and springs are good when I have a load of gravel in the bed or something else that is pretty heavy) if that makes any sense.

Paul
Paul H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 10:38 AM   #22
SkiSmuggs

My towing experience with my 10K GVWR was vastly improved by the MorRyde pin box. I set up an appointment with MorRyde during a cross country trip so I drove in rough and came out smooth.
Old 02-11-2016, 10:55 AM   #23
msp2jxr

I had a 30 ft 5er and the chucking was on that trailer verses the ladger trailers I had. I used the Mor-ryde with great results on the smaller and larger trailers. I feel for the money the Mor-Ryde is a great investment. If money is not really the issue and want the "Cadillac" of pin boxes then invest in the an air ride pin box system. Just rememeber if you are installing the pin box yourself the air systems are very heavy to lift in place.
2012 Cougar 326MKS (retired)
Mor-Ryde Pin Box
2015 Super Duty F350 6.7 4x4 King Ranch
2008 Super Duty F250 6.4 Diesel 4x4 Lariat (retired)
2005 Goldwing
msp2jxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 07:57 PM   #24
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
Chucking probably wasn't the right term to use in my post. What I am concerned about is the stresses transferred to the frame of the trailer through the hitch from the expansion joints/irregularities in the pavement. It's almost like the trailer/pin weight isn't enough to flex the springs on my truck (shocks and springs are good when I have a load of gravel in the bed or something else that is pretty heavy) if that makes any sense.

Paul
So while there is nothing wrong with a Mor-Ryde pin box it will smooth out the ride, but make it the last step in the process not the first.

These are the specs on your 5er.
Technical Specifications:
Length 28' 9"
Dry Weight 7,237#
Payload Capacity 2,943#
Hitch Weight (dry) 1,340# Dry hitch 18.5%
Total Fresh Water Tank Capacity 60 Gal.

#1. Have you weighed the combination yet? Washington scale houses leave the scales on 24/7/365, free weigh on the weekends, if the station is a normal WDOT scale lots of room to weight it all then drop the 5er and weigh again. Weigh it as loaded for a trip.

#2. The dry pin weight percentage is way low (18.5%)! When loaded should be at least 20% maybe 22%.

#3. Where is your Fresh water tank, 60 gal. of water forward of the axles will increase your pin weight percentage.

#4. Does the 5er tow level? Tail low will create chucking.

#5. Do you have very good shocks on the TV?? Bilstein's will make a world of difference.

#6. Does the 5er have shocks??? Next time you hit a bridge transition watch the bounce of the 5er in your mirrors.

So I had a chucking issue, Worked at leveling the 5er, last item was installing the Correct Track system and wet bolts. Now as close to dead level as you can get.
During that time New shocks on the TV and 5er, try to always travel with the FW tank full. I now feel an almost chuck free ride, now I might add the the pin box.

If you do the pin box first you are just masking the ill behaving 5er, it will still be doing the same stuff, until you attack the "Root cause".

This is our scaled 11,000# 5er in tow, we run a GCVW of about 19,500#.

Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 08:19 PM   #25
CWSWine

Great Post Russ!!!!
2016 GMC Denila 1 ton Diesel CC 3722
2017 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R
Montana 3711FL Front Living Room 5er
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 09:20 AM   #26
Tinman97423

Pin Box w/cover

I just replaced the lippert 1621 with Mor-ryde #4 (up to 14,000 Lb.) pin box on my Cougar 303.
It helped about 50%. It cost $535 to my door from radauto.
Does any one know if the Lippet 1621 ABS cover will fit the MorRyde pin box?
Tinman97423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 03:50 PM   #27
Spacetrucker

Which pin box?

No will not fit. Look at trailair only. That one dose not have the plat on bottom that moves. This one is just air and I have it on my toy hauler 35.7 foot load to the max and I don't get the chuck at all. Make shure your trailer is level in the bed and level on trailer .on mine I hand to put to the very bottom on hich. Now rides great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Spacetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 03:51 PM   #28
Spacetrucker

Pm me and will give you my number. To talk about it. Ok

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Spacetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote