Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-30-2016, 06:46 PM   #1
Povo

Bearings

Not sure if has been addressed somewhere else. Bearings. I understand these are serviced based on time, not mileage. True? If so, how often?

Patrick

Central Oregon
2014 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ram 3500
B&W Companion Hitch
Povo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 07:07 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

The ALKO manual maintenance chart calls for inspection/repacking at 6 months/6000 miles.

The Dexter manual maintenance chart calls for inspection/cleaning and repacking (in normal service) at 12 months/12000 miles.

The way most of us "use" our trailers, during the spring/summer, the 6 month interval would usually be either "before camping season" or "at the end of camping season", so realistically, since the trailer is in storage for the "other inspection", it's usually done once a year, either at the beginning or at the end of the camping season.

Here's the Dexter reference site: http://dexteraxle.com/i/u/6149609/f/...e_Schedule.pdf

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 07:30 PM   #3
Povo

Wow! I thought is was something like every 24 months. I have very few miles on my 5ver as the past 2+ years since we purchaed it have been overrun with other obligations. Way less than 1000 miles. (Hoping to pick this up a notch soon.) Sounds like I need to get it done. Last thing I need is to finally get out & have my wheels sieze up. (Is that the risk?) If it makes any difference, we are in Central Oregon & it does get cold while in storage - often well below freezing.

Patrick

Central Oregon
2014 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ram 3500
B&W Companion Hitch
Old 01-30-2016, 07:37 PM   #4
Povo

Also, while I am not totally inept, I am not a mechanic. Should I just bring it to my RV shop (have not only the dealer but another great shop here in town) at the beginning the season and spend the money to have them go though it per this list? Or is that overkill? Better safe than sorry - but don't want to throw money down the proverbial drain either.

Patrick

Central Oregon
2014 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ram 3500
B&W Companion Hitch
Old 01-30-2016, 08:28 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

Axle service is something that you can do at home easily. If you have a "shop" do it, make sure they are familiar with servicing RV's. The axles are arced and if the shop doesn't know better they may try to jack the axles up from the center.

You need to replace the seals, and they are cheap and should be in stock at any RV dealership. Prices vary, so ask and get an itemized list of what is actually done. I have worked at three different dealerships and have seen three different interpretations of an axle service. If you decide you want to do this yourself, PM me and I will be happy to give you a step by step guide.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 08:34 PM   #6
bobbecky

Another part of the bearing service is also inspecting the brakes while the drum is off. This may actually be more important to some. Its all still cheap insurance.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 09:04 PM   #7
Javi

While I have the knowledge and experience to do pretty much any of the maintenance and repair on our trailer I am also old and fat with bad kneesso I don't do roofs, bearings or anything else that requires me to climb or crawl around on my knees.

To that end I take my trailer to a trusted independent TV service center and they check and caulk the roof and repack the wheel bearings and adjust the brakes.

Cost is nominal in the greater scheme of things.
Old 01-31-2016, 04:54 PM   #8
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
While I have the knowledge and experience to do pretty much any of the maintenance and repair on our trailer I am also old and fat with bad kneesso I don't do roofs, bearings or anything else that requires me to climb or crawl around on my knees.

To that end I take my trailer to a trusted independent TV service center and they check and caulk the roof and repack the wheel bearings and adjust the brakes.

Cost is nominal in the greater scheme of things.
After repacking mine last year, I feel the same way. I can do it, but don't want to, and it's just not fun anymore.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 05:01 PM   #9
rwmurphy15

How do you handle it when you have the EZ lube axles. Do you still repack the bearings.
Old 01-31-2016, 06:22 PM   #10
chuckster57
Site Team

I always pull the wheels and drums, that's the only way to inspect the brakes.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 01-31-2016, 06:26 PM   #11
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwmurphy15 View Post
How do you handle it when you have the EZ lube axles. Do you still repack the bearings.
I do have the EZ lube on my axles but don't use them. To me they are a feel good accessory that can cause more problems than they provide benefit. Pump a little too much grease into them and you can ruin your brake shoes.
Old 01-31-2016, 06:29 PM   #12
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
I do have the EZ lube on my axles but don't use them. To me they are a feel good accessory that can cause more problems than they provide benefit. Pump a little too much grease into them and you can ruin your brake shoes.
Seen it plenty of times. Customer comes in complaining of poor braking, says " I lube the bearings on a regular basis using that zerk fitting".

Old 02-01-2016, 05:00 AM   #13
gearhead

I'll opine again:
I pumped through the grease zerk on my Dexter axles when I bought the trailer, but very carefully. I lifted the wheel and spun it as I pumped. Two years later I pulled the hubs and the seals were still intact. That said the EZ Lube feature is an invitation to trouble.
My opinion, after 40 years of dealing with rotating equipment, is that if the bearings are properly sized and the bearing itself is of decent manufacture, the bearings should go 5-7 years and 50,000 miles without maintenance.
By recommending annual inspections I believe the axle manufacturers realize that the RV manufacturers are sizing axles too low, the end users are likely overloading them, and the bearings themselves are not of the highest quality. And they are in a CYA mode regarding warranty.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:50 AM   #14
mfifield01

Coming from boat trailers, I have concern about bearings. I tended to have problems with bearings at the 3 year mark, but water is basically pushed through the bearings on a regular basis.

I'm not as worried about a travel trailer, but I plan to re-pack at 2 years. During the PDI I asked about bearing maintenance. They said every year if you put a lot of miles. If not, every 2 years.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:53 AM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

I think gearhead is "spot on" with his response. Like him, I've used the EZ Lube feature for years without having problems. I've defended them in numerous posts here and in conversations with other trailer owners. Through the years, I've never had any problems with grease leaking through the seals.

Then, along came 2015, and all that changed. Not only did I have "a" leaking seal, but all 4 seals on the Cougar had leaked and contaminated the brake lining, magnet and brake drum on every wheel. Until this experience, I had always supported the EZ Lube system, but after having to replace magnets and linings ($200 in parts plus 2 days of my time and a trip to a parts supplier about 100 miles away to get "what wasn't available locally") I've changed my mind.

I used to support using the EZ Lube system, not any more !!! I'll take my wheel hubs apart, clean and replace the grease (repack the bearings by hand) and install new seals from now on. Chances are it won't be every year (depending on how far we tow) but there won't be another grease gun attached to an axle spindle on my Cougar, ever again !!!

Here's another discussion: http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/sho...ghlight=grease

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-01-2016, 08:34 AM   #16
concours

I service ours every year mainly due to the fact that we travel south for the winter and want to prevent problems during the trip, but I want to point out that our trailer is now 3 years old and on the 1st service I found a shoe delaminating, Last year I found a broken actuator block and an outer bearing that was beginning to fail (probably due to having very little grease from the manufacture). Yes I do believe that we are the subjects of undersized axles and very poor quality bearings when you put the 2 together its a recipe for disaster. Will I service our brakes and bearings annually? most certainly.
Mor/Ryde XFactor and Wet Bolts
1982 BMW R100
concours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 04:16 PM   #17
schwalbach

Here is a thought---Many cars have non-driven axles with bearings and go 200,000, without anyone touching them...

Wonder what the difference is, quality of bearing? They don't have ez-lube, pickups get abused, how may miles before you lube them?

2012 Keystone Laredo 275SBH
2015 Chevrolet Silverado Double Cab
schwalbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 06:22 PM   #18
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwalbach View Post
Here is a thought---Many cars have non-driven axles with bearings and go 200,000, without anyone touching them...

Wonder what the difference is, quality of bearing? They don't have ez-lube, pickups get abused, how may miles before you lube them?
The bearings you speak of are "high tech" sealed bearings. They are designed not to require maintenance for an extended time. Not so with "open bearings" found in travel trailers. They are the "old school technology" found in the late 1940's and early 1950's vehicles. If you're "lucky enough" (or unlucky enough, depending on your point of view) you will remember sitting on a Pepsi case, in the shade, pulling hubs, cleaning bearings, replacing brake shoes and wheel cylinders. That was an "every year event", much like the same technology on today's RV.

Installing "improved bearings" is another one of those things "we wish for" but, as a collective group, don't want to pay for and the manufacturers won't "give them" to us because of their profit margins, along with the long list of other "wish for's" that we'll probably never see on travel trailers in the "low/medium" price range......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-01-2016, 06:26 PM   #19
gearhead

Looking at the Dexter website, it looks like they acquired North American AL-KO. They had already acquired UFP, which makes the best solution to towed vehicle bearings. I have their Vault hubs on my bay boat and love them so far. They're going on about all new boat trailers around here. Wish RV manufacturers would use them.
http://www.ufpnet.com/Portals/0/PDFs...20Brochure.pdf

An additional quip: I carry a infra red/laser temp gun and shoot all my tires at every stop. Also shoot through the wheel spokes to the drum checking for a hot bearing or brake issue.
Old 02-02-2016, 11:09 PM   #20
tgpilot

You must live over about Bend or there about. I live near Roseburg and use a shop in Roseburg that if I recall, charges about $160.00 to do four wheels on an RV. They do all the work and guarantee their work. Good shop.