Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-16-2015, 10:06 AM   #1
Hamops

Unvented Cooktop Hood

We've had our 2014 Avalanche 295RL 5vr for about 3 months. The trailer is working out great for us but we discovered one thing.

When my DW is cooking, she turns on the stove hood fan to vent out the cooking heat and smells, but we found that it's not vented to the outside but instead is vented to the inside of the trailer. It would seem to me that this is not correct and may have been missed during the construction of the trailer.

Does anyone else have this issue with this model of 5vr?
Isspro EGT & Boost Gauges, Rear View Camera System, Prodigy Controller. Custom Auxiliary Fuel System
2014 Keystone Avalanche 295RL
Hamops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 10:08 AM   #2
BirchyBoy

I can't speak to your model, but mine is unvented and I've read other threads about this same issue.
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 10:16 AM   #3
B&T

It was intentional, Mfg cost shaving
2003 R-Vision Traillite
B&T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 10:17 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Your suspicion that something was "forgotten" during assembly of your trailer is un-founded. There are two methods used by Keystone to install range hoods. One is "vented outside" and the other is "recirculating the range products". I wasn't aware that the Avalanche used the "non-vented" hood, but unfortunately, no, the assembly line didn't "forget" to cut the hole for yours to vent outside.

There are a couple of threads posted by members who "took the bull by the horns" and cut their own hole to vent their range exhaust. Use the search feature, if you can't find them, let us know and we can help you locate the threads.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 01:58 PM   #5
EricLynnAllison

Mine is also vented inside, that's why we cook outside whenever possible.
Previous 1973 Coleman Popup
EricLynnAllison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 02:47 PM   #6
notanlines

I might also add here that it is somewhat common to find an unvented range hood in middle/lower cost housing and apartments. I'm not sure that the darned thing even serves a purpose other than to supply an infinitesimally small amount of light by which to cook.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 03:11 PM   #7
instymp

Is the vent flap unlocked outside? If you have one? Latches unlocked?
instymp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 06:35 PM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchyBoy View Post
I can't speak to your model, but mine is unvented and I've read other threads about this same issue.

And this type of range hood isn't a Keystone exclusive.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 02:44 AM   #9
slow

I speculate that hoods are not vented to the outside by Keystone because of the risk of moisture being introduced into the wall cavity because of a poorly sealed duct. RV brands that utilize exterior walls that are not prone to moisture damage seem to have exterior vented stove hoods.

The moisture damage risk is in part why I do NOT plan on making the mod to an exterior vent.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 03:24 AM   #10
roadglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by instymp View Post
Is the vent flap unlocked outside? If you have one? Latches unlocked?
I found out the hard way with the vent flapper being lock, I need to remember to unlock when where out camping.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 07:18 AM   #11
GaryWT

Ours is unvented as well as I believe many are. I did not give it a second thought as my house is not vented plus we do all our cooking outside as the outside kitchen is very vented...
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 01:44 PM   #12
Bob Landry

It's easy enough to add an exhaust vent to the outside if there is nothing right behind the range hood such as in my Outback. I have even seen threads where someone did some creative sheet metal work and did a work around, but I'm not that handy.
This is not an oversight on Keystone's part. The way this came to be is as follows. Genius #1 at Keystone scoured their vendors and came up with a barn bustin' price on several trainloads of long windows. After the windows were purchased, someone had to figure out what to do with cheap windows, so while Genius #1 was at lunch, Genius #2 sat down at the drawing board and decided that the windows would fit perfectly behind the stove and the kitchen counter. Genius #1 got commendation for finding heap parts and Genius #2 probably got a trip to the Bahamas for figuring out how to use them so that they would not have to be disposed of. BTW, this is a common phenomenon that occurs every time you give an engineer a pencil.
Geez, that kind sounds like how our government operate.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 03:08 PM   #13
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Landry View Post
It's easy enough to add an exhaust vent to the outside if there is nothing right behind the range hood such as in my Outback. I have even seen threads where someone did some creative sheet metal work and did a work around, but I'm not that handy.
This is not an oversight on Keystone's part. The way this came to be is as follows. Genius #1 at Keystone scoured their vendors and came up with a barn bustin' price on several trainloads of long windows. After the windows were purchased, someone had to figure out what to do with cheap windows, so while Genius #1 was at lunch, Genius #2 sat down at the drawing board and decided that the windows would fit perfectly behind the stove and the kitchen counter. Genius #1 got commendation for finding heap parts and Genius #2 probably got a trip to the Bahamas for figuring out how to use them so that they would not have to be disposed of. BTW, this is a common phenomenon that occurs every time you give an engineer a pencil.
Geez, that kind sounds like how our government operate.
...and how government foists things upon the public with relative acceptance by the public.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 03:46 PM   #14
gearhead

My Montana came with a stove vent. I lost the flapper somewhere though. I have a visit to the dealer scheduled next week. Maybe they can fix that.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 04:04 PM   #15
sourdough
Site Team

My 2014 Cougar High Country also came with the stove fan vent. We don't cook much at all inside but we do heat water in a tea kettle for tea every day and I use it to vent out the heat from the burner; works pretty good.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 05:15 PM   #16
mowin

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow View Post
RV brands that utilize exterior walls that are not prone to moisture damage seem to have exterior vented stove hoods.
Our keystone hornet had the vent, however our Laredo is not vented outside. I doubt it has anything to do with brands that utilize walls that are not prone to moisture. It's all about the $$$$$.
mowin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 07:13 PM   #17
slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowin View Post
Our keystone hornet had the vent, however our Laredo is not vented outside. I doubt it has anything to do with brands that utilize walls that are not prone to moisture. It's all about the $$$$$.
mowin, was your Hornet aluminum skinned, whereas your Laredo fiberglass?

Moisture behind the fiberglass degrading the backing board and finally resulting in delamination is what I was referring to in my speculation. Moisture behind an aluminum skin would take longer to degrade the substructure and be noticed. Therefore your experiences are consistent with my speculation. Although I will never argue against the reality of cost cutting measures by the manufacturers.
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
Old 06-18-2015, 07:41 PM   #18
Stew

FWIW...my 2015 303RLS is vented outside
2015 303RLS
[SIGPIC]
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 03:03 PM   #19
mowin

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow View Post
mowin, was your Hornet aluminum skinned, whereas your Laredo fiberglass?

Moisture behind the fiberglass degrading the backing board and finally resulting in delamination is what I was referring to in my speculation. Moisture behind an aluminum skin would take longer to degrade the substructure and be noticed. Therefore your experiences are consistent with my speculation. Although I will never argue against the reality of cost cutting measures by the manufacturers.
Yes my hornet was aluminum skined and Laredo is fiberglass. I have seen many fiberglass tt and 5ers with vented hoods.

I do see your point on possible delamination. But if its installed correctly, it shouldn't be a issue.
mowin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 06:21 PM   #20
slow

It is my understanding that many Keystone products do not have a water resistant backing behind their fiberglass. Whereas other manufacturers claim to have water proof material backing their fiberglass skin. Those manufacturers often advertise vented stove hoods.

BTW: I agree proper leak free installation is key.
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing