Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2015, 02:06 PM   #1
jaitken0016

New Hot Water Heater Flames Out

Just took our new 2015 Cougar 301SAB out this past weekend. Everything good so far except the gas water heater. It is a Suburban Combo unit. The DSI will turn on and light the gas, but as soon as the gas stops then the flames goes out. We have tried several times over the weekend. Fridge, stove and gas furnace work great. Water heater still not working. Good thing we had the electric water heater. Calling the dealer, they want to have the unit brought it in and won't do anything over the phone. That's where you guys come in. Any ideas?
jaitken0016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 02:17 PM   #2
Javi

With DSI there is no pilot so yes when the gas stop flowing the flame goes out. The thermostat inside the heater's control tells it the water is hot and poof.. the flame is gone..
Old 05-26-2015, 02:52 PM   #3
slow

Had same issue with flame out after the three or so seconds when first lit. I replaced the control board and re-crimped the wire connectors that seemed loose near the bypass valve. Working OK so far and did not need to leave the trailer at the dealer for an extended period.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 03:52 PM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

If you had the electric element turned on, the water may have been already hot and the gas should turn off. JM2˘, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 04:38 PM   #5
therink

Had the same problem on the same water heater when it was brand new. On mine the circuit board is mounted haphazardly on top of the heater accessed by removing the panel on the inside compartment. The ignitor wire was connected loosely on the circuit board. I tightened the crimps on the connector and have had no problems since.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 12:48 PM   #6
jaitken0016

The electric wasn't on when we first set up. I was going through all of the systems to make sure they worked. I tried several times, to include using all of the hot water and waiting to see if it would light. Nothing.
Old 05-28-2015, 02:02 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaitken0016 View Post
The electric wasn't on when we first set up. I was going through all of the systems to make sure they worked. I tried several times, to include using all of the hot water and waiting to see if it would light. Nothing.
First of all, press BOTH of the black rubber discs (marked reset). They are located on the front upper left of your water heater (under the access door). You may have had an "overtemp" condition and the high temp limit switch may be engaged. Then try again to see if it will ignite.

Also, when you were testing it, did you hear a "clicking" from the water heater?. If you did, check your electrode in the burner tube, it may be fouled, carboned up or bent so that it won't provide a spark. Don't stick your head down close to the burner tube, sometimes the propane will "flash back" and you could get burned, so "look from a distance of 3 or so feet away from the tube......

If you didn't hear any "clicking" you may have a bad control board or a bad connection on the control board as previously indicated.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 06:09 AM   #8
jaitken0016

The black rubber rest buttons were ok. THe DSI is clicking and the flame will be lit while it is clicking. As soon as the ignitor stops, so does the flame. This was initially tested when the water was cold, so the over temp I wouldn't think would be an issue.
Old 05-29-2015, 06:27 AM   #9
slow

New Hot Water Heater Flames Out

Exact same as mine. I forgot to mention that as part of my brute force fix, not only did I change the control board and recrimp wires, but I also adjusted the igniter position and ensured I had a good ground. I found the new board on line for just over $100.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 06:39 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaitken0016 View Post
The black rubber rest buttons were ok. THe DSI is clicking and the flame will be lit while it is clicking. As soon as the ignitor stops, so does the flame. This was initially tested when the water was cold, so the over temp I wouldn't think would be an issue.
It sounds like the flame sensor on the control board has failed. As "slow" posted, you probably need a new control board. It's easy to remove/replace the board, and they are available at almost any RV parts store. Dinosaur Electronics builds replacement boards that are reported to last longer than the OEM boards and are usually somewhat cheaper to buy. Information on Dinosaur igniter boards can be found here: http://www.dinosaurelectronics.com/ Or, you can contact any RV parts store to purchase an OEM igniter board. Since you're still in warranty, you should contact your dealer. They may be able to get you in for repair with little delay, or possibly troubleshoot your system and send you the parts for installation as a part of the warranty. Good Luck !!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 11:47 AM   #11
chuckster57
Site Team

FWIW, we had a customer that had a furnace doing the same thing. Crazy but after a few tests we disconnected the gas line and found styrofoam in the LP system. How it ended up at the furnace was a mystery as all other gas appliances worked great.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 07:42 PM   #12
cb1000rider
Gone Traveling

I've seen this happen too. Make sure the ignitor, which is also the flame sensor is positioned in the center of that flame...
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 09:36 AM   #13
shiggs68

With it being that new, this is unlikely but never hurts to look. On the end of the burner tube, there should be about a dime sized disk covering the end. This is to spread the flame. It often rusts off. And can cause this problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
shiggs68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 11:07 AM   #14
jaitken0016

Upon further review by the service dept., they found that the ignitor was bad. After replacing it, everything is running smooth. Still under warranty, so cheap fix. Thanks everyone for the help.