Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-01-2015, 12:01 PM   #1
dsttexas

Rear jack stabilizers too low

Montana High Country 293RK 2015 model.

I am very concerned with the barely 6" clearance from the bottom of the rear stabilizers to the ground when level. It appears to me this is a potential hazard for major damage down the road.

The local service dealer basically says that's the way is, be careful. I've looked at lots of other 5th wheels and don't see any where near this type of problem.

May have something to do the rear kitchen layout. I'm escalating via my original selling dealer for an answer. Anyone else have this issue?

Photo attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CameraZOOM-20150327105718556.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	8488   Click image for larger version

Name:	CameraZOOM-20150501151751780.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	8489  
Old 05-01-2015, 03:11 PM   #2
Pull Toy

We have a similar set-up on our Alpine 3535. Even though it looks scary... we've never touched down, even approaching our driveway, where we "almost" duck tail coming in!

Never had a problem yet in three seasons. If in doubt, send out a spotter the first few times.

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 05:08 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

dsttexas,

In your second picture it looks like there's enough clearance. Take a straight edge and go from the bottom of the tire on the rear axle to the bottom of the bumper. The straight edge should be below the level of the jack plate.

If it is (and it looks like it is) then backing into an uphill drive, etc, if the bumper clears, the jack will. If the jack plate hangs below the straight edge, then you've got a potential to damage the jacks if the bumper "barely clears"....

You may get "lucky" and get a definitive answer from Keystone's Customer Service, but my guess is that they are going to tell you that you need to let the dealer look at it and make the decision. Seems they more often then not will defer to the dealer.

Good Luck.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 05:19 PM   #4
PerryB

Yes, it does look awfully low but our moderator is right. From what I can see in the picture the jacks are still slightly inside the departure angle line, so there isn't much chance of hitting them unless its an isolated hump/hole. That having been said, it would probably bother me too. I can pretty well guess what Keystone is going to say and it involves sand.
PerryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 08:23 AM   #5
dsttexas

Your straight edge guideline from the bottom of the wheel to the bottom of the rear bumper as a safety measure would only work for a straight ramp along that angle. Most issues I fear would be where there is a ditch dip going from a parking lot to a road such that the jacks would definitely hit where the bumper could clear easily. Or backing into a space that has concrete "bumpers" or stops.

It all boils down to being careful and looking before I go!

Thanks
Old 05-03-2015, 04:00 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Your rear leveling jacks are really no lower than almost all of our scissors jacks. I suppose there is always a "risk" of scraping them or damaging them, but most all of us are in the "same boat" as you, just with manual or electric scissors jacks, not with an electric leveling system.

Of course, there is something to be said about not "4 wheeling" with a 33' fifth wheel, and few of us would back into a campsite with cement blocks to stop rearward travel without being aware that they are present and where they are located. If you think about it, even if the jack plates were 12" off the ground, with the "wrong" ditch to cross or in the "wrong campsite," they would still hit those concrete stops if you weren't paying attention to where they are.

If you're concerned, by all means, do whatever you decide to minimize your risk, but almost all of us face the same risk, just with different equipment and there are very few (if any) damaged scissors jacks reported on the forum.

Good Luck and keep us posted on what Keystone tells you.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 05-03-2015, 04:55 PM   #7
Dave W

I too would be concerned. I know where we have pulled in many kind of remote campgrounds, the road potholes or even the campsite uneven terrain could cause those $$ jacks to drag. Our '14 does not have the self leveling option, just electric jacks that disappear completely from sight. Another concern and one I am 'correcting' on our High Country is the low hanging belly mount spare tire which I have dragged twice and actually bent one of the angle iron cross pieces somewhat.

I hope the dealer can easily rectify that jack
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 06:27 PM   #8
GaryWT

I would be nervous. Especially low for a fifth wheel. Our last trailer, we had to trade it in because the bumper, rear jacks and rear grey tank valve were low. The valve was only 5.5 inches of the ground and dragged on the ground a lot. Had to use boards to get in and out of the driveway, got old fast. Hope it works for you.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 12:32 PM   #9
WaltBennett

In your second photo, are the curved handles ones for a spare tire carrier? If so, that looks to be on the same line others have mentioned. Got to admit, I wouldn't like jacks that low either, but we don't have that kind.

'06 F350 Lariat turbo diesel dually, Curt 20k, Softopper, Aerosheld, coolant filter, air bags
'10 3665RE Hickory, wet bolts, Trimetric battery monitor, 4 100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking!
WaltBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 07:41 PM   #10
tree1668

There was warranty recall done on our Outback for that problem. I would contact a keystone. Ours was actually still on the lot when they fixed it
"The Dude: Yeah, well. The Dude abides.
The Stranger: The Dude abides. I don't know about you but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' 'er easy for all us sinners. Shoosh. I sure hope he makes the finals."
tree1668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 04:19 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tree1668 View Post
There was warranty recall done on our Outback for that problem. I would contact a keystone. Ours was actually still on the lot when they fixed it
I can't locate a warranty recall for the level up system on Outback fifth wheels. Could you explain a bit more what recall or what repairs were done to your Outback?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 05-07-2015, 09:05 AM   #12
gearhead

I never measured the clearance on ours but they're probably about the same. I have a very steep uphill driveway. When bringing the 5th home from the dealer I had to put lumber down to back in the driveway. I removed the under mounted spare (I would have anyway) and haven't had any issues.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 09:58 AM   #13
gearhead

Thought I would show a pic and explain a little more. The spare was going to drag getting in the driveway. I didn't care for the under mount spare when I first saw it. I really don't want to be rolling around in the mud, rocks, or hot asphalt to change a tire. I cleaned the spare up and stored it in the bay until I replaced the bumper and mounted it there. I originally had my hitch at the highest setting and the factory bumper cleared the drive by 1/4 inch. The feet of the jacks would just "kiss" the drive. From memory I think I had 16 inches clearance under the original bumper. I moved the hitch down to gain more rear clearance but only had 5 inches of tailgate clearance, so I'm back to high setting on the hitch. Plenty of clearance now with the new bumper.
Pic shows the boat ramp driveway.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00364.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	8532  
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 07:55 PM   #14
tree1668

It was actually at the dealers when they called and told me they were doing it. I actually have to call them tomorrow and I will ask them
"The Dude: Yeah, well. The Dude abides.
The Stranger: The Dude abides. I don't know about you but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' 'er easy for all us sinners. Shoosh. I sure hope he makes the finals."
tree1668 is offline   Reply With Quote