Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-04-2015, 06:11 PM   #1
brittsnbirds

TV Antennae sucks!!

I have a 2014 Sprinter Widebody 5th wheel. The antennae that is on the roof is suppose to be a omni directional unit that does not crank up. It sets about 12" up off the roof. In my previous TT it had a god ole fashion crank up that I could spin around and find stations with.

This current antennae doesn't work worth a darn. How can I get better reception with this thing or do I need to get something else??

Any suggestions?
brittsnbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 06:25 PM   #2
raineman

Hi, sorry to read that you are having a problem with your antenna. Do you know if you have a booster? It would be a little button on the same jack that your coax is coming out of the wall. When it is on a green light should come on right next to the button.

Let us know if you find the button and if it is on while still getting bad reception.
raineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 06:44 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

I haven't found those omnidirectional antennas to perform very well during my PDI's.

If it's mounted where you could access a crank handle, I would consider replacing it.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 07:31 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

On a forum a couple of years ago, a member explained it pretty well. He said to make a dot on a piece of paper and lay a string in a circle around it about 8" in diameter. That is what the Omni antenna can receive. Now, pull the string into an oval, that's what the bat-wing antenna can receive. Now pull that oval to a point, that's what the bat-wing with the wingman can receive. As you pull the string, the circle becomes more "directional" but increases in distance from the center.

In each case, the reception distance gets longer and longer. The Omni directional antenna is the "least sensitive" of all, the batwing is better and the wingman adds to that, but makes it more directional.

I haven't heard of anyone who is satisfied with the reception of the Winegard Roadstar Omni antenna. There are some "much more expensive" Omni antennas on the market, but they are upwards of $300 or 400. And even then, they aren't "that much" more sensitive than the wingman.

As suggested, if you can install it in a place where you can access the inside crank, you'll probably be more satisfied with a conventional antenna and a booster.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 09:47 PM   #5
buzzcop63

Our Travel Trailer came with the Winegard Sensar IV HD Antenna, which you crank up and then can turn to tune in stations. We added the Wingman to increase signal strength. Next I installed the Winegard Sensarpro TV Signal Meter, which replaced the standard power supply and acts as a signal strength indicator, adjustable amplifier and wall plate power supply, it added specific search modes, eliminating guesswork. Also found a foam rubber clock, like the one you might use to train your kids how to tell time. I cut out the center with the hands and placed it over the ceiling crank so that once stations are found you can mark down their location then when you wish to change the direction of the antenna for a specific station or group of stations you know exactly where to turn the crank to align the antenna. Also the following web sights will allow you to put in the zip code of the location you are going to camp at and it will show the RF number and stations that can be viewed by your antenna and the strength of their signal and location to give you a better chance of locking on. And last I found that once the Sensarpro TV Signal Meter locates the most stations I let the TV search and lock in those stations, the TV seems to pull in more then I get by just selecting the channel. Be aware that not all stations are the common ones you are used to, many have an RF number like 45 and will represent channel 12 or Fox on the signal meter.
http://antennaweb.org/Address.aspx
https://www.tvfool.com/modeling/
Old 04-05-2015, 04:24 AM   #6
brittsnbirds

Thanks for replys!!

Thanks to everyone. I was hoping someone could say "oh yea we had the same problem, just bought this xyz unit popped the head off the old and put xyz on and it was great". Nothing is easy on the Trailers!!

We took our "maiden" voyage from KCMO to Bull Shoals Arkansas via Bennett Springs. Trying outrun the weather. It would have been nice if I had at least 2 channels when the sirens were sounding down here.

I use to have a crank up Bat wing with the add on HD antennae on my Wildwood. It worked pretty very good, much better than this thing. I would love to go back to it. I could probably put one in place of this little saucer unit but where its positioned is above the living room/kitchen and even over the refrigerator. If I could get a step ladder I could reach the crank but I'm thinking it's access is encased in the cabinet where the refrigerator is. Just have to check it out.

I do have an amp in the bedroom TV plug. That would be the best place to put the bat wing I could reach it from the floor as the ceiling is at it's lowest points.

How about Dish? I have that service at home. My wife pointed out all the other campers have the little round portable receivers.

BTW again thanks for the replys.

How's chusckster57 doing??
Old 04-05-2015, 04:56 AM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

I'm doing real good, thank you for asking. We have Direct tv, and use a winegard carry out when we go. No reason why you couldn't use dish.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 04:58 AM   #8
brittsnbirds

Lengthy question

Will send you a message due to length of question.
Old 04-07-2015, 07:59 PM   #9
Pmedic4

TV antennas

I replaced my crank-up Wineguard Sensar batwing with a JACK. Personally, it didn't make a difference. Honestly, I've had the best reception with a homemade antenna that connects to the external TV port, and then aiming it by hanging on the side of the RV towards the station I want to watch - also, using a separate antenna Amp/booster.

Here's the plan: http://www.tvantennaplans.com/

I've even noticed that it makes a big difference to clean the wires off when hooking up. Lots of little things like this make a big difference. If you don't mind messing with the connections, hook-up, and stuff.

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote