Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-13-2014, 12:31 PM   #1
Miamogue

Black tank flush

Need a little help with a 2014 313RLI black water flush. Have been using the camper for about two months on a cross country. Have been flushing the black tank on a regular basis. Went to flush tank the other day and the line pressurized but no water went into tank. Checked out the vacuum valve under the sink in the bathroom and it appeared to be working. Took valve out and re=pressurized the line. Water still would not go into tank. Checked the hoses up to where the go through the floor to the tank. The hose had water in it. My question is dose the hose continue to the top of the tank or down to the side of the tank. I don't know why the water will not go into the tank. Could the line be plugged and if so could you use something like liquid plumber to clear it? I also wondered in the hose could be kinked but without knowing where it goes to the tank, there would be a lot of underbelly to remove. Any help please.
Miamogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 01:37 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

The flusher should be mounted on the side of the black tank opposite the drain outlet. I've seen both pex and regular hose used so it is entirely possible that it is kinked.
You can take the anti-siphon fitting off and test with air. Low pressure is all that's needed so even pressure from blowing into the line should tell you. If you do blow into the line that goes from the valve to the tank, I would cover that end with something and then poke a hole in the center to keep you safe form any contact with possible contaminants. Compressed air would be best but I would keep it under 5 PSI.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 03:21 AM   #3
Miamogue

black tank flush

Thanks Chuckster57. This is what I thought about the kink, Just didn't know if they put another check valve by the tank. Guess I will have to open belly to see if there is a kink.
Old 07-16-2014, 11:33 AM   #4
Bushman512000

Plug?

I had a kink in a hose and it was hot and sort of glued or stuck to its self air was the way I freed it up just a shot from the air hose and all was good to go lol I could hear the air going in after that Bushman
Bushman512000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 12:44 PM   #5
Lawdogs

Had the same issue about a month ago. Could not even get pressurize air to go through the line. Flushed black tank out as best as I could by running water hose to the toilet and dumped several times. Filled the black tank full with fresh water, making sure the spin nozzle was covered. Added in the tank treatment and let sit for two days. After two days, used pressurize air and could hear the nozzle spinning. Dumped the tank and hooked up the black tank flush with the hose, problem solved. I now add downy with fabric softener to act as a lubricate and make the sides slippery. Don't know if fibers of toilet paper clogged the spray holes or the whole spinner itself. Dried toilet paper can become hard as a rock. Hope this helps.

2015 Montana 3721 RL
2015 Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins Dually
Previous: 2014 Cougar 327 RES High Country
2014 Ram 2500 HD 6.7L Cummins, 2002 Coleman Popup, 2012 Wildwood 24RB, 2014 Outback 298RE
Lawdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 03:37 AM   #6
Miamogue

black tank flush

Good information from all. I am going to try the flush and treatment and see how that works out before taking the bottom of the trailer apart. It could be clogged with toilet paper. Thanks again to all.
Old 07-25-2014, 04:05 AM   #7
Miamogue

Black tank flush

Just a follow up on the problem I was having with hopes of helping others. This information will apply to a 2014 313rli Cougar 5th wheel. The vacuum break valve is located in the bathroom tied under the sink in the cabinet, From there the flush line goes through the floor to the underside of the trailer in the area of the steps. The line is a hard line and not subject to kinks. The line then runs toward the front of the unit on the step side of the unit. It goes to the step side of the black tank just below the floor. The line is clamped to the fitting that goes into the flush nozzle.

What I did was remove the three Phillips head screws that hold the nozzle in the tank. I then used a steak knife and cut the sealant between the nozzle and the tank. After removing the nozzle I found that the numerous holes in the nozzle were plugged up. I cleaned the holes and using 100 % silicone, reinstalled the nozzle and line assembly. I never removed the line from the nozzle.

In accessing the problem I have to put the blame of this failure on myself for not following the directions on flushing the tank. Therefore I let a small amout of media back into the tank nozzle and line causing the blockage.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:26 AM   #8
ddmay

black tank flush

Miamogue, What black tank flush instruction did you receive, dealer or Manufacturer? Sticker at black tank flush valve or outside shower with coiled hose plugged in, states to leave valve open when flushing! Other brand units I have seen has a sticker stating leave closed when flushing, then open (slide valve). I guess either would work, as long as you can see tank is drained clear water or so is coming out. I am parked semi-perm as host at a site with full hook-up and cannot use clear elbow to see as it keeps flow too high for dump. How long does flush need to be operating to clean black tank out? What kind of setup is black tank flush? There seems to be a few different ones out there! I have a 2013 Cougar 280rls, probably similer to your unit. Anyone else have any advice? I know it would be general as it would vary from individual use. Thanks, ddmay
ddmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 12:27 PM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

I have only seen the "keep the valve open" stickers on the units that have rinser/flusher.

It may be that way so you can't blame the maker if you close the valve and walk away, backing raw sewer waste up. It should, depending on how tight the toilet seal is, back up into the vent pipe and then spill out the top...YUK!!!!

When I do mine and explain to new owners during a walk through, I hook up the dump hose with a clear piece at the trailer connection. Then I hook up the rinser and turn it on.

I immediately dump the black tank. Then close the valve for a few minutes. Once again I dump the tank and look at the effluent, if it's clear I leave open and continue rinsing for a few more minutes. Dirty and we go again. I have left it running for about 5 minutes, trick is to know how much water your adding without overfilling the tank. Once it's clear, I shut the rinser off and then close the valve.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 02:23 PM   #10
Miamogue

Black tank flush

The instructions were from the dealer. Said to leave the tank open when flushing. The unit in my tank puts out a lot of water from at least a dozen holes. The flusher is approximately 3 inches long and about 1 inch in diameter. There are three holes on the end of the flusher pointed in different directions. There are also holes along the shaft and around the circumference. What I believe I did, was start the flush to add water. I then disconnected the water to the flusher and I believe some media got into the flusher before the vacuum check valve was able to stop the syphon. Very easy to do if the flusher is under water. The holes in the flusher are around 50 thousands. Very small. .I have run the flusher for 15 minutes and it seems to do the job
Old 08-15-2021, 04:04 AM   #11
PDMarlowe

Black tank flush plugged.

I was doing a search for what has happened to my 2011 Outback 260FL and found this post. I think I have a similar issue and hope someone can present a solution. For the past few years our black tank flush has worked fine. This year water will not flow through it. I checked the valve (in the sink cabinet) and it appeared OK but I replaced it anyway. Still no flow. I am assuming now that the nozzle is plugged in the tank. The water pressure going in the last time was 50 psi. Is there any way of clearing it without pulling the bottom out? Has anyone put a drain cleaner, JB Blaster, baking soda and vinegar or any other concoction down the flush pipe at the vacuum breaker valve to get it to clear?
PDMarlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 04:55 AM   #12
NH_Bulldog

My flush is mounted into the far end of the tank furthest away from the drain. When mine stopped working, I cut out the backflow valve and shot some air through the line. I reassembled without the backflow, added a vacuum breaker on the outside connection and it has worked great ever since. Some folks dispute the effectiveness of the flush system, but in my experience, on my trailer, and based on my inspection of the interior of my tank, it is indeed effective.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab 4x4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 05:27 AM   #13
dutchmensport

On my previous travel trailer (Outback), my black tank flusher quit working. I used the hose from my house (at home) and did not pre-flush the hose first before hooking it up to the trailer. I always run water first to make sure any bugs or critters, or dirt didn't crawl up the hose.

Anyway, as soon as I connected and turned on the water, immediately, nothing. I figure dirt or something in the hose immediately clogged up the Anti-syphon valve. It took a while to figure this out, and because of the cost of a replacement, I simply removed the old one and just replaced with a straight pipe (no valve).

It still did not not spary. I then figured, debris must have reached the jets in the black tank. I used air, water, everything and kept trying to break the clog free. I even tried putting a toilet plunger on the hose connection to suck the air in the opposite direction by plunging (outward). I think that's maybe what finally freed it up. Eventually, it started spraying again. But it never sprayed strong like it use to.

I do know, a tiny bit of dirt in the those tiny holes in both the Anti-syphon valve and the jets in the tank can clog things up real easy.