Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-22-2014, 03:37 AM   #1
schwalbach

What is it costing me?

I lave my camper plugged in 24/7 at home. Anyone have any idea what it costs a month to keep it plugged in? Any harm in keeping it plugged in 24/7?

Fridge is off most of the time just keeping batteries topped off as don't want it to go dead and kill battery.

2012 Keystone Laredo 275SBH
2015 Chevrolet Silverado Double Cab
schwalbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 03:49 AM   #2
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwalbach View Post
I lave my camper plugged in 24/7 at home. Anyone have any idea what it costs a month to keep it plugged in? Any harm in keeping it plugged in 24/7?

Fridge is off most of the time just keeping batteries topped off as don't want it to go dead and kill battery.
Costs you nearly nothing. If you're only keeping the batteries charged, the converter/charger goes into trickle mode once a full charge is achieved... So it's basically idling....

No problem running 24/7. If there was a problem with it, full-timers would sweat in the summer and freeze in the winter!
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 03:53 AM   #3
GaryWT

My trailer stays plugged in with both fridges running, no issues. Cost, who knows...
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 06:36 AM   #4
Stublejumper

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwalbach View Post

I leave my trailer pluged on 24/7 in my shop to keep batteries charged up and out side fridge pluged in for a beer cooler . With batteries charged and nothing running it tested at 52 watts.
Old 06-22-2014, 09:22 AM   #5
Yosemitebob

It costs about a dollar per watt for the electricity to operate an electrical device all year. I say about as it is an average depending on where you are could be more or less.

So:

It costs roughly $75 to burn a 75 watt light bulb all year.

It costs about $150 to leave a 150 watt computer turned on all year.

Now we could bring up solar, and you would have the cost of the solar unit but it would .....na, forget it that's a different subject.
1800 / 3600 inverter with auto transfer switch,
The bosses: My wife and two Labradoddles 80 lbs each
Yosemitebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 01:11 PM   #6
theasphaltrv'er

Evidently not a heckofa lot ..... Our electric bill, with 5er plugged in to the house this month, was lower than last month when I ran the 5er strictly on solar. Plus this month we had the A/C on allot in the S&B.
Life is fantastic & gettin
better every day
theasphaltrv'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 07:23 AM   #7
JRS514

Cost of electricity

Got my 5er last May. I leave it plugged in 24/7 for batteries and (Beer) fridge.
Last year it was costing me about an extra $20 per month on my bill, although I can't say it was all due to the trailer. However, when doing research, I realized that my water heater was on and using electricity to keep the water hot . . while the trailer was not being used. Electricity bill dropped as soon as I turned the water heater off. Go figure!
JRS514 is offline   Reply With Quote