Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-05-2015, 06:51 PM   #21
omextreme

We tried to buy locally but our dealers would not touch the prices we found elsewhere. We even offered our local dealer 2k more then we could buy the unit for out of state and they turned it down. I was shocked, I figured everyone pays close to the same price and if seller X up in MI can sell for a price seller Y here in GA would at least get within 2k of that price... Wrong.... Best we could get was 5k higher locally. SO>>>> taking the 13 hr drive to pickup our new 5th wheel sep 3....
omextreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 07:05 PM   #22
TandE

I had the same experience here in WA. The dealer I normally do business with I thought their price was high and would not budge. Found another dealer with the same model 2 hours away for almost 2k cheaper and went and talked to them. In the end I got the trailer from the farther dealer out the door for almost 8k cheaper than the one 5 min away and that's with adding in a b&w companion (first dealer didn't figure that in the price) and I got a free slide topper installed a second battery (first dealer only installs one on most 5th wheels) 75$ store credit (first dealer only gives credit to first time buyers) and free power chord adapters since the new rig is 50 amp and most places have only 30 amp along with a 30 to 15 adapter. I used to be all for buying local for a trailer but after that experience I will shop around if I upgrade again.

Travis
TandE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 07:20 PM   #23
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by omextreme View Post
We tried to buy locally but our dealers would not touch the prices we found elsewhere. We even offered our local dealer 2k more then we could buy the unit for out of state and they turned it down. I was shocked, I figured everyone pays close to the same price and if seller X up in MI can sell for a price seller Y here in GA would at least get within 2k of that price... Wrong.... Best we could get was 5k higher locally. SO>>>> taking the 13 hr drive to pickup our new 5th wheel sep 3....
You're GA dealer would have paid a little over $1k more for the unit with shipping costs. Obviously no where near $5k, but many count on the fact that most people will not travel far to pick one up. Of course, they will probably make you feel some pain if you ever ask them for service.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 03:30 AM   #24
C130

I'm glad this thread started back up again because I just asked a question on another forum about dealers setting MSRP. A local dealer sells Momentum and Fuzion and I haven't been able to figure out why the MSRP was so much higher than any other dealer for the same unit. I was looking at options online and they appeared to be the same, all had three AC's, rear deck patio system, and all were the top of the line models which came with most of the upgrades. The local dealer is $6,000-$7,000 higher on their MSRP from what I can tell. The comparisons were with dealers within about the same radius or closer of the manufacturer also so delivery cost shouldn't be an issue. Plus, their service department has a terrible reputation. When I inquire about their service department's reputation they always tell me "it's better now" but admit to how bad it was in the past. Problem is they've told me this for several years now and it's always the same story about how they have a new service manager.
Old 08-06-2015, 05:30 AM   #25
cw3jason

I spoke with the service manager at my local place to get some warranty work done. He said we don't normally work on trailers you didn't buy here. I explained to him I tried, but the sales team would not budge and I purchased the trailer for 10,000 less 2 states away. He said that's rediculas as all dealers pay the same price and realized his dealership lost a sale. They decided to do the work on my trailer after that no questions asked.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
B&W Patriot 16k fifth wheel hitch
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 06:42 AM   #26
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw3jason View Post
I spoke with the service manager at my local place to get some warranty work done. He said we don't normally work on trailers you didn't buy here. I explained to him I tried, but the sales team would not budge and I purchased the trailer for 10,000 less 2 states away. He said that's rediculas as all dealers pay the same price and realized his dealership lost a sale. They decided to do the work on my trailer after that no questions asked.

It's not very often a sales manager will "talk negatively" about another part of the same dealership. I'd bet that unless he's the owner's son, if he continues to discuss the sales team shortfalls with customers, his days at that dealership are numbered.....

Anyway, it's great that he made an exception and repaired your RV.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 10:54 AM   #27
carwheel_09

C130 if your talking about Holiday World it's still terrible. I wouldn't buy from the again. Run don't just walk away.
carwheel_09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 01:47 PM   #28
Pull Toy

MSRP is like "Fairy Dust & The Tooth Fairy".... it never existed! It sets a False ceiling, having nothing to do with reality to create an "Aura" ( read that ... Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain).

The real market is what people are willing to pay. Do your homework and make a bid accordingly, Right now, it is definitely a BUYERS MARKET!

Caveat... If you buy 300 miles from home... be prepared to tow for warrenty work / service!

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 01:55 PM   #29
CarKath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull Toy View Post
MSRP is like "Fairy Dust & The Tooth Fairy".... it never existed! It sets a False ceiling, having nothing to do with reality to create an "Aura" ( read that ... Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain).

The real market is what people are willing to pay. Do your homework and make a bid accordingly, Right now, it is definitely a BUYERS MARKET!

Caveat... If you buy 300 miles from home... be prepared to tow for warrenty work / service!
X2 , 3 and 4
Dog : Tucker
Cats: Beaudie and Jangles
CarKath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 04:31 PM   #30
PerryB

How do they get away with this no warranty work on outside purchases crap? What if you move in from another state? Thats going to be my cover story if necessary, I guess. The sale is where they make the money, you think they'd try a little harder in this department.
PerryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 07:22 PM   #31
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryB View Post
How do they get away with this no warranty work on outside purchases crap? What if you move in from another state? Thats going to be my cover story if necessary, I guess. The sale is where they make the money, you think they'd try a little harder in this department.

It's been discussed numerous times in just as many threads. Labor rates for warranty work is set by the factory and often times doesn't cover the actual time needed for the repair. With that said, if said dealer didn't make any money on the sale, should they be expected to lose money doing warranty work? I'm not trying to defend any dealer or the practice, but it is a fact, keep losing money and your business will fail.

My eyes were opened when I started working in the industry. I have spent time diagnosing an issue, taking pictures and documenting the problem, needed repair and time required, only to have the time reduced enough to force a non effective repair. One manufacturer required the removal of blinds to take a picture of the data tag to get approval for replacement. Total time for everything-.2 hr, that's 12 minutes to remove a blind, take a picture, document on a repair order, and if approved install and adjust a new blind.

That's one example, but you can see where it doesn't really make economic sense to service someone else's sale.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 04:54 AM   #32
PerryB

Thanks Chuck. I didnt properly articulate myself, and I realize warranty rates and times blow. I was in the auto service business for 15 years at a 3 line dealership. We were not allowed to question the origin or the vehicle. If it was one of our brands we took it in. The only techs that liked warrant work were the Toyota crew. Toyota actually pays reasonable times. Anyway, the theory was if we made them feel welcome and they liked us, they would come back at purchase time.
Old 08-08-2015, 07:19 AM   #33
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks Chuck. I didnt properly articulate myself, and I realize warranty rates and times blow. I was in the auto service business for 15 years at a 3 line dealership. We were not allowed to question the origin or the vehicle. If it was one of our brands we took it in. The only techs that liked warrant work were the Toyota crew. Toyota actually pays reasonable times. Anyway, the theory was if we made them feel welcome and they liked us, they would come back at purchase time.
PerryB,

If you haven't yet, you will soon come to realize that there is really not much similarity between RV dealerships and automobile dealerships. About the only thing I've found to be similar between the two is that you need one to use with the other. Otherwise, they are two different "beasts" and don't operate with the same "mentality for service or warranty".

I'd think of it more like buying a new vacuum from Target and taking it back to Sears for a refund when something happens with the power switch. RV dealers, like vacuum dealers, usually don't offer service for items not purchased from their store.....

One RV dealership chain that, so far, doesn't seem to question the location of purchase is Camping World. If you have one near you, that might be your best bet for warranty repairs (if you need them). But don't think that you can pull into any Keystone dealership and get the same "warm welcome" from service that you would from your selling dealer. Most people here would tell you that it's a hassle, if not an impossibility, to get service from the place you bypassed for a better purchase price.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 08-08-2015, 08:02 PM   #34
tgpilot

Quote:
Which is the way it should be!!
tgpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 08:14 PM   #35
PerryB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
PerryB,

If you haven't yet, you will soon come to realize that there is really not much similarity between RV dealerships and automobile dealerships. About the only thing I've found to be similar between the two is that you need one to use with the other. Otherwise, they are two different "beasts" and don't operate with the same "mentality for service or warranty".

I'd think of it more like buying a new vacuum from Target and taking it back to Sears for a refund when something happens with the power switch. RV dealers, like vacuum dealers, usually don't offer service for items not purchased from their store.....

One RV dealership chain that, so far, doesn't seem to question the location of purchase is Camping World. If you have one near you, that might be your best bet for warranty repairs (if you need them). But don't think that you can pull into any Keystone dealership and get the same "warm welcome" from service that you would from your selling dealer. Most people here would tell you that it's a hassle, if not an impossibility, to get service from the place you bypassed for a better purchase price.
I meant to ask the other day, did you stop at the experimental reactor site (EBR1) about 18 mi. E. of Arco while enroute to Craters? We did a couple years ago and found it interesting.
Old 08-08-2015, 09:06 PM   #36
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
I meant to ask the other day, did you stop at the experimental reactor site (EBR1) about 18 mi. E. of Arco while enroute to Craters? We did a couple years ago and found it interesting.
No, we didn't stop, well, we did, but it was closed when we went through and with all the "other stuff to do" we never backtracked. Honestly, I wanted to go back when they were open, but time slipped away from us before we got the chance....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 08-09-2015, 05:53 AM   #37
C130

One thing I'm also finding out while looking at new toy haulers is that there are some dealers that are making up their own MSRP. I've been looking at a couple particular brands within about a 500-800 miles radius and couldn't figure out why my local dealer was $6,000-$8,000 higher than any where else I looked. I asked the sales guy after looking at the specs sheet on a particular toy hauler and he told me they set it to their current "market conditions". This particular dealer seems to get only one of each specific model and play the "we only have one left so you better act quick or it'll be gone" trick.

Then, when asked about the interest rates they could get with excellent credit I was told over 6% and no lower. I call BS on this also and sure they are marking up the rate and getting the difference of the actual rate.

The more I look at new the more I want to buy a one year old unit like I did before. Hopefully, the bugs have been worked out, the original owner takes the big depreciation hit, and the warranty is about useless anyways. I was told 4-6 weeks before they could even look at an issue right now when asked what the wait time was if I had an issue. I've come to the conclusion the RV industry is the worst of any out there and it's unacceptable. Unbelievable crawly craftsmanship with no quality control. We were looking at a new Fuzion Chrome with a $125,000 MSRP and an entire piece of kitchen trim fell off when the sales guy put his arm against it. I bought my 2011 used and had zero problems with it. I sold it and had a little equity in it, about exactly what I had put down, and sold it within a week at a decent price. Problem right now is I can't find anything decent but thinking this winter there will be way more used units. I'm also looking at leftover 2015's and there are some decent deals on them also. Problem is they are not local and I know the new ones usually have bugs to sort out and I'll be on my own with those issues.
Old 08-09-2015, 06:08 AM   #38
C130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull Toy View Post

It doesn't seem to be a buyers marker here, wish it was. I just looked at a new Momentum and it sold the next day and they are selling each one they get fairly quick it looks like. Not sure about the the brands but every 385 Momentum I've looked at sold very quick.

I'm thinking I'll be making a long road trip if I buy new but I'm not paying thousands more to buy locally.
Old 08-09-2015, 07:04 AM   #39
gearhead

Has anyone compared MSRP and final sale price of the same unit at different Camping World stores? Do they have company wide set prices?
I'm thinking if I trade again it would be CW, just for the fact that there is service in most areas of the US.
C130 when the oil company layoffs start hitting Houston I think the demand will slow. When the pipeline projects and petrochem plants get built out it may get real slow.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 03:35 PM   #40
EVMIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw3jason View Post

Pretty short sighted of any dealership to only service campers they sell. On the coast we have so many transients that were not purchased within 1000 miles, never seen any of our local dealers turn away business. Most do give some priority and discount to campers they sold.

As to the original post, pay no attention to listed MRSPs. As previously mentioned they are produced by the dealers. When I purchased my Alpine, the dealer had it listed almost $40K more than my purchase price. When he first showed me the trailer he started negotiating $30K off that number and we went from there.