Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-17-2014, 03:24 PM   #1
Bruce Smith

Black Tank Flush

I have a 2011 High Country 343 R. When I hook the Hose to the system and turn water on I can hear water spraying in tank, but I also start getting a leak from under the bathroom sink faucet. This should be a direct line???? Right
Bruce Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 04:07 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Your black tank flush line and the vacuum check valve is probably located under the bathroom sink. The check valve itself may be leaking and spraying water under the sink. This has been a fairly common problem with the check valve and many members have replaced it with a brass one which has stood up much better.
I'd have a closer look at the source of the leak -- is it coming from the sink or the black tank check valve?

The black tank flush is not connected in any way to the bathroom sink or its faucets.
Old 05-17-2014, 04:14 PM   #3
Bob Landry

Also, be sure the black tank dump valve is open whe you are using the tank flush.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 04:51 PM   #4
AlbertaRvMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Landry View Post
Also, be sure the black tank dump valve is open whe you are using the tank flush.
Hi,

I just used my TT for the first weekend. I was surprised to read on the black tank flush label of the TT to leave the black tank valve open while using this flush. Why is this?

I had read many posts on flushing black tanks where they say to
1) empty black tank (leave valve open)
2) turn on black tank flush for 5 minutes or so
3) close black tank valve and let black tank flush run for a while, filling black tank (monitor tank level)
4) open black tank valve again, let drain
5) repeat steps 3-4 again until black tank drains clear water
6) turn off black tank flush
6) pull grey tank valve open
7) close both grey and black valves
8) add some toilet water to black tank then add chemicals.

Please help me understand why to keep open the black valve while flushing.

Thank you.
Old 05-19-2014, 05:11 PM   #5
therink

Bruce, you have loose PEX fittings or vacuum breaker is cracked and it is located under the sink, up high. Get a flashl ight and look up under there you will see it. Try to identify where it is leaking. It is possible you didn't blow the flush out when winterizing and the vacuum breaker froze/cracked. Common problem. All parts are available at Lowes or HD. Very inexpensive fix.
As far as leaving the drain valve open when flushing, not necessary as the tank is vented. The label by the outside flush fitting is a CYA thing so that morons like me don't hook up and turn on the flush with the valve closed, walk away and forget it until a geyser comes out the roof top vent. I close my valve periodically when flushing to allow water to partially fill the tank thenopen tthe valve to purge flush. I have always done this with no issues as long as only for a minute or two and don't walk away with valve closed.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 02:49 AM   #6
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by therink View Post
As far as leaving the drain valve open when flushing, not necessary as the tank is vented. The label by the outside flush fitting is a CYA thing so that morons like me don't hook up and turn on the flush with the valve closed, walk away and forget it until a geyser comes out the roof top vent. I close my valve periodically when flushing to allow water to partially fill the tank thenopen tthe valve to purge flush. I have always done this with no issues as long as only for a minute or two and don't walk away with valve closed.
This is exactly why they say to leave it open. I have seen (yes seen, not done) others start their black tank flush with the valve closed and start packing other things. How do I know? I was in the next sight and got to hear the panic screams of his DW when the toilet started overflowing! He lost track of time and didn't realize how fast the tank would fill. If you close the valve, my recommendation is to make this the only task you are doing at the time and devote your full attention to it.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 06:04 AM   #7
jtyphoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
If you close the valve, my recommendation is to make this the only task you are doing at the time and devote your full attention to it.
When carefully doing this the first time with our Raptor, I found that I can tell when the water level has risen enough to completely submerge the spray nozzle in the tank by the change in sound. It becomes much quieter. We used a stop watch to determine that this happens at about the half full point.

On our Raptor, this is easiest to hear right by the dump valve handles, so I stay right there and use it as my cue to open the valve.
jtyphoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 09:06 AM   #8
SAABDOCTOR

AH THE POO TSUNAMI! BUT IF THE TIOLET HAS A REAL GOOD SEAL.the poo will drain off the roof
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 10:29 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

The may be some merit to listening to Chicken Little when he yells, "The sky is falling, the sky is falling!"

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 11:49 AM   #10
SAABDOCTOR

JOHN your avitars have made a crappy day at work. bearable..
Old 05-20-2014, 12:09 PM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

You're welcome, Barney,

Keep on banging those wrenches

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 01:45 PM   #12
GaryWT

This is an easy miss when winterizing as you need to blow out the line and since they are usually on the front it is easy to miss, they freeze and leak.

It is so easy to be distracted when packing up and have seen heard people when they forget, nice mess for sure. Also, if the tank is filling, the pressure from the spray is not getting to where it needs to be.

I generally only use mine at the last trip before closing up for the winter to get a good clean before putting it away.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 02:48 PM   #13
MBD

I used start the black tank flush and let it run for a couple minutes then close the valve with the water running. I thought I could clean the sensors easier quicker by filling the tank a couple times with clean water and letting it drain. Usually had to fill the tank 4 or 5 times to get clear water to drain out-took a lot of time.

Now, I hook the water supply up and let it run with the valve open. In about 10 minutes the water is clear. I can now run around and do stuff and don't have to worry. Works a whole lot better.

TIPS: install a clear elbow or section to visually confirm tank is clean, black tank flush system requires a pressure regulator on water supply
MBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 03:57 AM   #14
rosede

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
Your black tank flush line and the vacuum check valve is probably located under the bathroom sink. The check valve itself may be leaking and spraying water under the sink. This has been a fairly common problem with the check valve and many members have replaced it with a brass one which has stood up much better.
I'd have a closer look at the source of the leak -- is it coming from the sink or the black tank check valve?

The black tank flush is not connected in any way to the bathroom sink or its faucets.
I was getting ready to post a similar message, when I found this one by Bruce.

I had camping world winterize my camper last fall. Never again will I take my camper to them. As a matter of fact, my membership is up for renewal and I've now decided not to renew. They've caused me more headaches than benefits.

Anyway, I discovered, the hard way, that the black water check value froze and broke over the winter. When I hooked up to flush the black water tank, water flooded my bathroom and bedroom. Not happy.

Festus, I was wondering if you could be a little more specific on which brass check valve to get? I looked on Lowe's site and the only thing that I could find that came close was this valve.

Orbit 3/4-in Brass Pressure Vacuum Breaker Valve

Was this the valve that you were referring too?

Thanks.

Daryl

rosede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 04:18 AM   #15
rosede

Quote:
All parts are available at Lowes or HD. Very inexpensive fix.
I'm sorry, I grabbed the wrong quote on my original message. I meant to quote "therink".

Therink, if you could kindly point out which brass valve to purchase, I would appreciate it.

Thank you

Daryl

Old 05-28-2014, 02:09 PM   #16
therink

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosede View Post
I'm sorry, I grabbed the wrong quote on my original message. I meant to quote "therink".

Therink, if you could kindly point out which brass valve to purchase, I would appreciate it.

Thank you

Daryl
Hi Daryl
I believe this is it: http://m.lowes.com/product?langId=-1...&nValue=SEARCH

You would need to also buy bushings to reduce to 1/2" and then to pex fittings. If you bring your old vacuum breaker with you, you should be able to put everything together in the plumbing aisle.
Steve

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 05:46 AM   #17
rosede

Quote:
Hi Daryl
I believe this is it: http://m.lowes.com/product?langId=-1...&nValue=SEARCH

You would need to also buy bushings to reduce to 1/2" and then to pex fittings. If you bring your old vacuum breaker with you, you should be able to put everything together in the plumbing aisle.
Steve
Steve,

Ya, I went there yesterday looking for that exact item, however, I had difficulties finding it. I asked for help, but unfortunately, the guy that helped me didn't have a clue as to what I was looking for. I showed him my current vacuum breaker, and he had it stuck in his mind that I needed an exact replacement and that he didn't have anything for campers, so I just left. I tried Menard's as well, but they didn't have anything either.

I finally decided that I'm just going to go to CW today and have them replace it for me, since they were the ones who caused it to break in the first place.

Thank you

Daryl

Old 06-03-2014, 06:09 PM   #18
rwmurphy15

I have a problem with my Black Tank flush. I just purchased a fuzion 301 and went on out first campout. I emptied out the black tank 3-4 times till the water was clear. Then hooked up my hose to the black tank flush opened the black tank valve turned on the water and nothing. No water came out just nothing. Any suggestions.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:25 AM   #19
bobbecky

Is water going in? If not, maybe they installed the backflow check valve backwards. Wouldn't be the first time things were installed in the wrong direction.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 11:47 AM   #20
SAABDOCTOR

if the valve is good check for kinked water lines. good luck