Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 12-05-2010, 07:37 PM   #1
chuck

I could use help!

I was just reading complaints about Keystone from members here and I wonder what path I will take. I looked at a 242FWRLSSR yesterday and the dealer lowered his asking price to 24,495.00. Is that a good price? It is a new 2011 26.3 Springdale. I am looking at the F250 to pull it with and will buy it used.

We shop in Grand Junction and do not have many choices or options when it come to purchasing vehicles. I know we want a 5th wheel and we want a smaller one. We will be on the road for most of the year because I am retired and ready to see the rest of America. We have read the pro's and con's for buying a smaller 5th wheel and we still want a smaller one. We will be myself and my wife, no kids, and no pets.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated and I will follow all links. I am surfing online to find other options and have not purchased anything yet. We will also buy a new home in South Carolina to call our base and spend time near. I will probably end up traveling out of the area to purchase a truck, at least to Denver. I am here to listen to any advise and would like to thank you in advance.

Chuck
chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 05:44 AM   #2
Ruffus

Smile Fifth wheels

Chuck, welcome
If you go to our home page and click on the Blue highlighted sections in the left colum such as fifth wheels, tow vehicles, etc, you will see all the different questions, opinions and answers to the same questions you are asking. There are pros and cons to what ever your looking to buy and some great posts on what fits the life style you decide to choose. Have fun.
Jim
Curt Q24 hitch for in bed puck system
Fulltimng.
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 06:53 AM   #3
Outbackmel

5er and tow vehicle

Just an FYI from experience. I was in the car business for 37 years prior to retiring and upgrading our Keystone 31ft TT to a new 36ft Outback. Buy what YOU like....life is short! Dodge was MY choice mainly because of favorable reviews AND the 6.7 turbo diesel turbo being "bullet proof". I worked a heck of a deal on a '05 GMC Durmax; allison trans combo and was ready to make the deal when this '08 Dodge with 16,000 miles hit on the CARMAX site...paid $2,000 more than would have for this vehicle, BUT, miles and warranty were worth the peace of mind to me. Read the blogs on vehicles you narrow down to AND stretch your "consideration for purchase" distance if needed. Once you own a vehicle, it becomes 100% about reliability and SERVICE...

Good luck and safe travels
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:38 AM   #4
antiqfreq

We have a 32 fifth wheel and we tow it with a F250, no problems at all.

Good luck with whatever you decide......

jo
ISSPRO pillar gauges
Pullrite 15K sliding hitch
2-Honda Eu2000i's in toolbox
2012 Polaris 400
2012 Polaris 330
antiqfreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 03:20 PM   #5
chuck

Thank You

I am willing to go outside of my home town to buy a 5er and a truck, that may be what I need to do. Thank you guys for the great advice. I am reading everything I see here at this site and you are right, it is very helpful. I am still shopping hard and hope to join you all soon on the road.

Chuck
chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 07:07 AM   #6
campingcpl

We looked for quit awhile before we finally found the truck that meet our price range and had the options we wanted. We ended up driving 50 miles away to get it but was well worth the wait and the drive. We got lucky on our unit and was able to find the perfect one for us locally and was able to get a great deal on it seeing how it was right at model change so they really wanted to move the previous model year.

Phil & Janine & Lady
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Duramax LLY CC LB 4X4
2009 Keystone Sprinter 272RLS
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 04:28 PM   #7
matthewc45

I have a 2010 springdale 303bhssr and pull it with a f-250. I dont have no problem at all towing it.
matthewc45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 11:30 AM   #8
rwm1313

checking weights

Google the model of the unit you are interested in and any good dealer web sight should have dry weight of that camper in unit info. Then choose truck accordingly. If getting travel trailer weight distrabution should be considered.
The Keystone product is great stuff its a strong company and they really stand behind their product. I have worked on them all and I own a Springdale myself.
rwm1313 is offline   Reply With Quote