Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-03-2014, 10:03 PM   #1
Uncledavey

New Cougar xlite owner with questions

Anyone else have a Cougar xlite fifth wheel? I just got ours home several thousand miles away from the dealer and noticed the pocket door between the bathroom and bedroom isn't flush against the slide out when closed. It's quite obvious that someone installed the wrong moulding on the top of the slide out. Anyone else have this issue? Thoughts? Suggestions? The salesman asked me to text him some pictures so he could ask his Keystone rep about it.
Uncledavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 06:47 AM   #2
theasphaltrv'er

Good Morning .. We have an Xlite ...2014 26SAB. We don't have any pocket doors in this one, but did have 2 of em in our last Cougar. Sorry

Milo
Life is fantastic & gettin
better every day
theasphaltrv'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 07:16 AM   #3
jsmith948

A picture would help us as well. Is it a pocket door, or a sliding door on the bedroom side of the wall? On our sliding door, the trim can be removed to reveal the roller adjustments. Had to adjust ours so it hung straight (plumb). Our Cougar is a 1/2 ton series as opposed to the X-lite - probably way different.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 10:54 AM   #4
gearhead

We have a XLite 28SGS. Assuming you're talking about the moulding on top of the wardrobe slide, I noticed that as well. It really wouldn't serve any purpose if it did close tight. I think of it as a privacy curtain at the most. Might keep from shining the bathroom light in someones eyes that is in the bed. I would just as soon not have it.
I just went out to the trailer to confirm what I was thinking. I found the top of that wardrobe moulding pretty loose. I'll see if the dealer can pop a few more staples in it.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 12:09 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Our 27RKS has two sliding doors on the "bedroom/bath" wall. The sliding door in the bedroom slides to the curb side and closes the bedroom to the hallway. The door inside the bathroom slides to the wardrobe and closes the bathroom from the bedroom. When the wardrobe slide is in, there's only about 12" of clearance, with the slide out, there's closer to 28". The door in the bathroom (in our trailer) fits flush with the wardrobe facing.

On both of the doors, there is a ceiling fascia attached to the door slide assembly with three screws. Remove those screws and there are two rollers on the top of the door that are adjustable. It should be a simple matter of adjusting the door to fit flush against the wardrobe (but it may not fit flush against the vertical edge of the bedroom wall, so a "happy medium" may be the best you can do). There is about a 4" opening at the top of the wardrobe and about a 6" x 12" opening at the bottom under the slide, so it's not a "privacy door" but rather a "modesty door".

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 04:59 PM   #6
RedOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Our 27RKS has two sliding doors on the "bedroom/bath" wall. The sliding door in the bedroom slides to the curb side and closes the bedroom to the hallway. The door inside the bathroom slides to the wardrobe and closes the bathroom from the bedroom. When the wardrobe slide is in, there's only about 12" of clearance, with the slide out, there's closer to 28". The door in the bathroom (in our trailer) fits flush with the wardrobe facing.

On both of the doors, there is a ceiling fascia attached to the door slide assembly with three screws. Remove those screws and there are two rollers on the top of the door that are adjustable. It should be a simple matter of adjusting the door to fit flush against the wardrobe (but it may not fit flush against the vertical edge of the bedroom wall, so a "happy medium" may be the best you can do). There is about a 4" opening at the top of the wardrobe and about a 6" x 12" opening at the bottom under the slide, so it's not a "privacy door" but rather a "modesty door".
We have a 2013 29RES. I agree with the above 100%. We adjusted ours to close when the slide was all the way open so the bedroom is the darkest. The slide top does not go all the way to the wall of the camper... the cable mechinism is behind there on top.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:54 PM   #7
Uncledavey

Thank you all. Yes they are sliding doors not pocket doors. My apologies. I looked at the pictures of my model posted on the keystone website. They're definitely different from what I have. I think the installed the wrong moulding. My salesman, who has been nothing but fantastic, is going to look into it. We'll see. Picture attached...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	5879  
Old 05-05-2014, 05:17 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

If they installed the "wrong molding" on yours, they also installed the "wrong molding" on mine. My door/wardrobe look the same as your picture. It won't close completely. With just the two of us, we never close the door anyway, but if it's an "issue" you might consider adding a "baffle" behind the wardrobe fascia. Keep in mind that if you do, make sure you leave clearance for the cable assemblies.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 05-05-2014, 07:19 AM   #9
Uncledavey

Quote:
If they installed the "wrong molding" on yours, they also installed the "wrong molding" on mine. My door/wardrobe look the same as your picture. It won't close completely. With just the two of us, we never close the door anyway, but if it's an "issue" you might consider adding a "baffle" behind the wardrobe fascia. Keep in mind that if you do, make sure you leave clearance for the cable assemblies.
According to the pictures on their website the 28RDB molding looks way different. Check it out (if you haven't already).
Old 05-05-2014, 07:39 PM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

I have checked the pictures on the Keystone website many times. Don't rely on what you see there. To give you an example, the Springdale interior pictures are from a 2011 model. Only a few of the Springdale pictures have been updated in the past 4 years. The lower cabinets are a totally different color and style than what's pictured on the website. It's much the same with other pictures from various brands. They are there to give a "general depiction" not a "this is what you get" example. Don't be surprised if your dealer says he will contact Keystone and have them ship him the "right fascia" only to later be told that Keystone changed the fascia a couple of years ago, won't send the old type (or no longer have the one pictured) and that what you have is the current build.

There's a note at the bottom of all the brochures stating that Keystone reserves the right to make model changes without notice. We've had members order a trailer based on what they saw in the same model on the lot or what's depicted in the brochure and when their model is delivered, the bath is in a different location, the tub had been exchanged for a shower or other significant floorplan changes that were "introduced by Keystone" without any publicity or notice even to the dealers.

The 2012 Cougar 27RKS has a totally different bath/bedroom floorplan than the 2011 model, there was no notice of any change, the new floorplan "suddenly started appearing at dealerships one day. To have a slide fascia that doesn't look like the one on the website isn't that difficult to believe.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 05-05-2014, 07:43 PM   #11
Uncledavey

Quote:
I have checked the pictures on the Keystone website many times. Don't rely on what you see there. To give you an example, the Springdale interior pictures are from a 2011 model. Only a few of the Springdale pictures have been updated in the past 4 years. The lower cabinets are a totally different color and style than what's pictured on the website. It's much the same with other pictures from various brands. They are there to give a "general depiction" not a "this is what you get" example. Don't be surprised if your dealer says he will contact Keystone and have them ship him the "right fascia" only to later be told that Keystone changed the fascia a couple of years ago, won't send the old type (or no longer have the one pictured) and that what you have is the current build.

There's a note at the bottom of all the brochures stating that Keystone reserves the right to make model changes without notice. We've had members order a trailer based on what they saw in the same model on the lot or what's depicted in the brochure and when their model is delivered, the bath is in a different location, the tub had been exchanged for a shower or other significant floorplan changes that were "introduced by Keystone" without any publicity or notice even to the dealers.

The 2012 Cougar 27RKS has a totally different bath/bedroom floorplan than the 2011 model, there was no notice of any change, the new floorplan "suddenly started appearing at dealerships one day. To have a slide fascia that doesn't look like the one on the website isn't that difficult to believe.
Amazing. You'd think they'd get in some sort of trouble for false advertising. The piece fits so poorly I thought it was either the wrong one or just a bad design. Maybe I should've gone with the Jayco? They have same floor plan.
Old 05-06-2014, 06:39 AM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

Which RV to buy is always a personal choice, but having owned a Jayco in the past, I can say that "back then" they weren't any different than any other RV.

As for "false advertising", I've seen "old model" pictures in all manufacturer's brochures. Sometimes, they "depict" pictures of models that have not even been built at the time the brochure was printed. They use pictures of current models that have a similar floorplan and "cut and paste" to build a similar depiction of what they will start building at some later date. Those advertising brochures are often printed 6 months or so before the actual model run even starts at the factory. That way they can get them to the public to generate interest in the "new models". Then, once they start production, find a "better way" (usually meaning a cheaper way) to do something, they incorporate the change, but don't redo all the brochures.

I (personal opinion) don't think that Keystone purposely changed the fascia on the bedroom slide to make owners angry, I think there were production/cost considerations that drove the change. Have you considered that the "old style" may have closed better but with alignment issues scratched the finish and made it look bad? or possibly another issue along those lines occurred which made the change actually "better than the original"?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 05-06-2014, 07:27 AM   #13
Uncledavey

Quote:
Which RV to buy is always a personal choice, but having owned a Jayco in the past, I can say that "back then" they weren't any different than any other RV.

As for "false advertising", I've seen "old model" pictures in all manufacturer's brochures. Sometimes, they "depict" pictures of models that have not even been built at the time the brochure was printed. They use pictures of current models that have a similar floorplan and "cut and paste" to build a similar depiction of what they will start building at some later date. Those advertising brochures are often printed 6 months or so before the actual model run even starts at the factory. That way they can get them to the public to generate interest in the "new models". Then, once they start production, find a "better way" (usually meaning a cheaper way) to do something, they incorporate the change, but don't redo all the brochures.

I (personal opinion) don't think that Keystone purposely changed the fascia on the bedroom slide to make owners angry, I think there were production/cost considerations that drove the change. Have you considered that the "old style" may have closed better but with alignment issues scratched the finish and made it look bad? or possibly another issue along those lines occurred which made the change actually "better than the original"?

Unfortunately, living in Alaska and going to the lower 48 to buy it I had to rely on pictures. At least I won't ever have to do that again as we'll be moving next year.

I don't think the purposely changed it to make buyers angry but I do think it was a very bad design. This model is in its second year I believe. Even the flat spot on the molding where the door is supposed to come in contact is misaligned. Oh we'll, live and learn. I'll come up with something to make it better.
Old 05-06-2014, 05:06 PM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Consider the floorplan of the majority of fifth wheels in the past 10 years. The shower and lavatory are actually IN the bedroom, the toilet is in a separate "closet". The only "privacy" is obtained by closing a sliding "ceiling to floor" fabric cutain. So, from the RV designer's perspective, that door is probably intended to replace a curtain. So in their mind, they are probably thinking it's an "advance in design" even though it doesn't come close to replicating a "sticks and bricks" bathroom. After all, just how much privacy can you get in a 6x6 room with 2" walls LOL

I understand your frustration, but don't think that Keystone will see it as a problem. Who knows, try and see, maybe someone at the dealership or at Keystone will be having a "great day" when they get your warranty request.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 05-06-2014, 10:02 PM   #15
Uncledavey

Quote:
Consider the floorplan of the majority of fifth wheels in the past 10 years. The shower and lavatory are actually IN the bedroom, the toilet is in a separate "closet". The only "privacy" is obtained by closing a sliding "ceiling to floor" fabric cutain. So, from the RV designer's perspective, that door is probably intended to replace a curtain. So in their mind, they are probably thinking it's an "advance in design" even though it doesn't come close to replicating a "sticks and bricks" bathroom. After all, just how much privacy can you get in a 6x6 room with 2" walls LOL

I understand your frustration, but don't think that Keystone will see it as a problem. Who knows, try and see, maybe someone at the dealership or at Keystone will be having a "great day" when they get your warranty request.
That's what I told my wife...it's a trailer, not a house. I'm not too frustrated, more annoyed. Overall I love the unit. I'll see what they say,all I can do is ask. I take it in after Memorial Day. I'll keep you posted.
Old 05-07-2014, 11:59 AM   #16
Bowti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncledavey View Post
Thank you all. Yes they are sliding doors not pocket doors. My apologies. I looked at the pictures of my model posted on the keystone website. They're definitely different from what I have. I think the installed the wrong moulding. My salesman, who has been nothing but fantastic, is going to look into it. We'll see. Picture attached...
After reading this I had to go look at mine, and it is different than your picture. My wardrobe cabinet has a different door set up and has a flat surface from top to bottom for the bathroom door to close up against.

Also. if your picture is taken from the bedroom ( as I think it was) that door pictured is for the hallway on mine. My bathroom door is on the bathroom side of the wall.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1376.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	5900  

2013 Keystone Cougar 28SGS Xlite
Shipping weight 7561 lbs
Carrying capacity 2439 lbs
Hitch Pin 1410 lbs
2008 Silverado 2500 Duramax 4X4 Crew Cab
Reese 16K Round Tube Slider
Custom 3 Receiver Hitch Scooter Carrier
2013 Honda PCX Scooter on the Carrier
Bowti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 01:56 PM   #17
Uncledavey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowti View Post
After reading this I had to go look at mine, and it is different than your picture. My wardrobe cabinet has a different door set up and has a flat surface from top to bottom for the bathroom door to close up against.

Also. if your picture is taken from the bedroom ( as I think it was) that door pictured is for the hallway on mine. My bathroom door is on the bathroom side of the wall.
Thanks for the info. Yours sounds like the way mine is supposed to be. And yes my sliding door is on the bathroom side and does not have a flat surface to close against. Yours is probably how the keystone website portrays it. A local service tech is going to look at mine. We'll see.
Old 06-18-2014, 08:23 PM   #18
Uncledavey

Smile

Awesome news everyone! I stopped by the keystone repair center and they told me keystone agrees the wrong molding was installed and they'll send the right one. It might take a little while because they need make it and ship it all the way here to Alaska. Pretty happy here.
Old 06-19-2014, 04:25 PM   #19
vampress_me

Uncledavey, can you post a picture of your new molding when you get it? We have the same camper as you and I would like to see what the trim was supposed to be. All 3 of the ones I got to look thru and pick from had the same trim. The gap under the top trim piece (between the closet and linen doors) hasn't bugged me much, but if yours ends up a huge improvement, I may have to say something to our dealer...

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 06:27 PM   #20
RedOne

Our '13 29RES is flush all the way from the top to the bottom of the slide out. We only have light coming thru at the very bottom where the wall comes up to the bottom of the slide out and maybe a little at the top of slide out.

Tags
xlite 28rdb pocket door