Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-17-2014, 03:49 AM   #1
Ems142

Front landing gear creaking

Hello,

I am getting a creaking noise from my front landing jacks during movement especially last night during a wind storm. I have not heard this before trailer is only 1 year old, it is set up on a concrete pad.

Anyone else experience this?

Thank you.
Ems142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 06:35 AM   #2
therink

Are you using stabilizer bars on the landing gear or have a king pin tripod? If not, it could simply be the dynamic of the landing gear feet on hard concrete surface and movement of the trailer from the wind. OEM landing gear legs generally have some play in them. Of course iI would check to make sure the top of the landing gear bolts are tight to the frame inside front compartment.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:31 AM   #3
Jeff and Rita

Does the king pen tripod really work to stabilize ? New to the RV World...
Jeff and Rita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:39 AM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff and Rita View Post
Does the king pen tripod really work to stabilize ? New to the RV World...
My short answer would be no. There are several members, including me, who have tried one of these tripods and abandoned them. I think you would be far better off to purchase one of the stabilizing systems that attach onto your front landing gear. Steadyfast and JT Strong Arm are two such systems and have proven to be much more effective in keeping the front of the RV steady.

They cost more than a tripod but you won't be wasting your money with either system. Both are permanently mounted, can be installed by a DIY'er and easily set up.

In addition the tripod is a nuisance to store unlike the other two where you don't have to be concerned about where to put it.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:45 AM   #5
therink

I had a tripod because it was given to me. Yes it did help but was a pain to handle, set up and store. I installed one set of Bal locking stabilizer bars on the landing gear and one set on the rear jacks (paid $60 each set delivered) and they are rock solid. I sold the tripod for $50.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 10:02 AM   #6
Bluewater

We have used just the tripod and could not be happier. Once you learn how to set it up and adjust it properly the movement is gone. It also acts as a guard so I don't run into the hitch when moving around the front. Their may be more of a hastle storing it but that I feel is minor. Make sure you grease your landing gear also. I'm sure the other system works quite well also. happy camping
Bluewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 04:53 AM   #7
Terry W.

OK he stated during movement. I figure he means during extention and retraction. If this is the case mine as 2 grease fitting on both each leg. There were hard to find as there are painted black like the legs and poor lighting. I found greaseing them help quit a bit. I grease mine about once a year while doing my wet bolt on axles. Just my 2CW.
2-11 Pound 4 Legged Furry Childern
Pickens, SC
Terry W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 05:49 AM   #8
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewater View Post
We have used just the tripod and could not be happier. Once you learn how to set it up and adjust it properly the movement is gone. It also acts as a guard so I don't run into the hitch when moving around the front. Their may be more of a hastle storing it but that I feel is minor. Make sure you grease your landing gear also. I'm sure the other system works quite well also. happy camping
X2 bought it used (cheap ) from a fellow camper who traded his 5th wheel for a park trailer. No issues so far other than other than as stated above storing it, not a real big deal and becomes routine after a while
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote