Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-24-2014, 06:55 PM   #1
mike06081969

Considering Outback/Outback Sydney

My Crossroads Cruiser has been damaged in a storm and I am considering trading it in damaged rather than waiting on repairs (on the up and up, of course). I am looking at the Outback and Sydney from Keystone as well as the Heritage Glen and Rockwood from Forest River and the Cruiser and Sunset Trail from Crossroads.

What kind of feedback do Outback/Sydney owners have? Pros and cons, things to look out for, known problem areas? Do these have the Schwintek slide mechanism known for being such a pain in the rear? What about suspension? Delam issues? Tell me the good, bad, and ugly.
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 02:10 AM   #2
therink

I am on my second Sydney 5th wheel. I wouldn't have bought this one if I didn't like the first. The construction with most Keystone mid level models is basically the same. It all boils down to a matter of decor and Floorplan preference than anything. The only thing I don't like about the Sydney fivers is the step in the front bedroom and lower height basement storage, compared to the Laredo series which has higher basement and no step in bedroom.
My next rig will have a drop frame with full basement. I believe the Sydney lineup has been discontinued.
All in all, I am quite happy with my Sydney. It is fairly well built.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 06:37 AM   #3
mike06081969

Thank you for the feedback. Sometimes it is hard to guage from reading through forum posts whether a particular line is one to stay away from. Seems like the ones with problems are very vocal and the ones that are happy are the silent majority. I appreciate you taking time to respond.
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 03:50 PM   #4
ksbowman

I have an Outback Sydney edition that is a 2004 model and have been very happy with it. The only part I don't care for is the outside stove, it (the stove) sits on the door of the compartment it sets in. The extra weight on the door continually separates the door frame from the outer wall and has to be recaulked and watched closely or it will leak water inside and damage the floor under the sink.
ksbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 10:59 PM   #5
Teller

I am looking at a 2012 Sydney Outback. It has hardly been used due to the current owner's health issues. I believe it has been stored outside (Idaho). This is the first rig beyond our 1994 pop up so we are a little nervous buying used. Any specific issues with this model we should look out for? I plan to download the checklist, assuming I can find it
Teller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 04:05 PM   #6
Rickmuzick

I have a 2010 Outback Sydney FR321 and I love mine.

I would have to agree with you on the silence when it comes to having one that has no issues. I read some of these post's and have to take them with a grain a salt and read between the lines. Many folks are just plain frustrated in dealing with Keystone/Thor customer service and have a lot of negative comments about the unit.

I don't know if I got lucky, or if things were different at Keystone in 2010, but my unit is great.

I like the layout, I like the way it pulls, I like the outdoor stove. My only issues are like everyone else, the decals are just JUNK and I would rather see some solid point on the wall in the bedroom so that I could mount my bedroom TV on the wall. I know there is a stud there somewhere, I just have not been able to find it. The later models have a decal on the wall indicating where it can be found.

All in all, I am VERY satisfied with my investment, and I like you bought my unit gently used.
Rickmuzick is offline   Reply With Quote