Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-07-2014, 01:50 PM   #1
azlee56

question about brakes (5th wheel)

Long time huh? HELLO! I finally might get to go camping but the 2008 Montana (3500) brakes sound like they need to be redone before we pull it. I have searched here and searched on google but I am lost. (what new!). We are trying to figure out which is the best way to do this....take it in to LaMesa, have another outfit do it, or do it ourselves. We have to get a 5 ton jack before even proceding (I guess). I can't figure out what brakes it takes (pads or assembly or whatever).

Any clues from you all?

We've been busy. Bought a house and that takes up lots of the money that use to be fun stuff. BF became my hubby two weeks ago, boy is he in for it now. LOL.

I have been reading here or there as time would allow.
Lee
Old 03-07-2014, 02:16 PM   #2
Jim & DJ

Brakes

Best to have them replaced
or repaired Professionaly.

Went to Phoenix area in the middle of Feb.
Wow, it was great..

2004 R-Vision Trail-lite (gone)
2007 Mountaineer TT (gone)
2009 Montana F3465 SA (Best ever)
2007 F-350 6.0 D 4X4
2012 Shih Tzu (The boss)
Jim & DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 02:37 PM   #3
azlee56

yeah, we have been really warm during the days. Soon I can use our pool..yeahhhh!

He knows the terms better then I do, because so much has changed since I helped wrench on things. You still think professionally is better? How much does this stuff on an average cost?
Old 03-07-2014, 02:47 PM   #4
Jim & DJ

Brakes

Thanks for the quick reply. You can go to any auto/truck repair and as you know, you will get various answers. It's kind of pot-luck. I had the axles alignd on our 5er and I watched almost every move they made pertaining to where they placed the jack.. Good luck, where ever you go....

2004 R-Vision Trail-lite (gone)
2007 Mountaineer TT (gone)
2009 Montana F3465 SA(Best ever)
2007 F-350 6.0 D 4X4
2012 Shih Tzu (The boss)
Jim & DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 03:00 PM   #5
azlee56

Yeah I guess! I just got off the phone with LaMesa and they said any where from 350.00 to 1500.00! geez. They like the vacuum plate because there is so much to replace..... I will call a couple of other places. One down the street might know.

Where does one find just plain ole brake shoes for an RV. Autozone?
Old 03-07-2014, 05:02 PM   #6
jesse_h

Etrailer.com more than likely has what you are after. If you want to throw a bunch of money out have someone do it for you. If you have basic mechanic skills and tools, do it yourself.
jesse_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 05:25 AM   #7
jsmith948

Welcome back and congratulations & best wishes (and good luck with the sticks & bricks - hang a horseshoe over the door!)
I don't know if there are any in your area, but, "RedNeck Trailer" carries everything you would need to replace your brakes.
You can buy shoes and magnets or you can buy assemblies where everything is already put together on a new backing plate.
I haven't priced these, but it could be the better way to go. You would get new springs, magnets and shoes. Here in the Fresno area, Redneck's prices are competitive. Good luck

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 06:01 AM   #8
WaltBennett

Issue with going to a truck or auto place is they may not be able to jack it correctly or safely (for the trailer). I've jacked ours up twice now. Once to replace the tires (at a tire store - cheaper by far than an RV dealer) and once to put a wet bolt kit on. The stock brakes are and supposedly auto adjusting (back up, engage them & they should adjust), but sometimes age & dust mess that up. Checking their adjustment & doing it manually isn't that difficult. You've only got to lift a tire (use the jack on the U bolt, not the axle tube) just enough off the ground to spin, then pop the rubber plug off the adjusting hole and turn the starred wheel with a flat screwdriver (there's a spoon-like tool that'll do it better). Once the brakes stop the wheel from turning, back the adjuster off just until the wheel turns again. Put the plug back on, lower that wheel and do the next. Shouldn't take more than a couple hours.

If you think they are worn out, you'll have to jack, remove the wheel & tire and remove the brake drum to get to the shoes. Might have to use a hammer/mallet or loosen the adjustment to get the shoes to clear the brake drum if there's significant wear. I'm planning on doing this within a month to check the grease seals. I don't think the brakes are down much, but I'd like to check since we bought our new/used Monty last year around now.

'06 F350 Lariat turbo diesel dually, Curt 20k, Softopper, Aerosheld, coolant filter, air bags
'10 3665RE Hickory, wet bolts, Trimetric battery monitor, 4 100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking!
WaltBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 05:24 PM   #9
hankaye

azlee56, Howdy;

Welcome back, you've been missed, congrats on the stuff that needs it.

Here's a link to Dexter
http://www.dexteraxle.com/home_
... check out the videos, one
of which is for brakes-n-such. Work the header board for other
stuff you might have questions about or just as an inquisitive mind...

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 08:58 PM   #10
DJ85

Welcome back and congratulations on the house and the husband..

God is great, beer is good and people are crazy
Dave and Julie

2008 F-250 6.4L 4x4
2012 Cougar RES 327
2000 Jayco 264 Bunkhouse
1995 Starcraft pop-up
DJ85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:51 AM   #11
danjentravels

Depending on what the feel is it could be as simple as replacing the magnets. Most tt have dexter or rockwell axles and parts are readily available at most parts stores. I bought full set at lordco for our tandem cargo trailer at a cost of $220 for complete set up from backing plate less the drums. All was set up . Just clip wires in back and remove the 4 bolts holding backing plate to axle. Complete unit will come off and replace with new. I would never take to a shop due to the cost itself as we all know they tend to love the words "mark up". It really is a straight forward job and if you've ever wrenched in the past it will be done in a couple hrs. Adjustments is simple as well. Just till you csn hear a faint scraping but spins easily.over adjusment will cause premature brake wear.
danjentravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 02:38 PM   #12
jsmith948

Lee,
Checked the Redneck Trailer Supply website - closest location to you is Mira Loma (L.A area) - maybe they will ship - but would probably be cheaper to buy local.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:28 AM   #13
azlee56

thanks everyone. When the brakes weren't working and this garage took off the wheel to find out what they did wrong is when they found out at least one of the shoes was wearing down, so that is one reason the hubby (that is different to type!) knew they needed changed. He took off the wheel and the shoes on Saturday, but unfortunately most rv places were closed. The ones open didn't have anything in stock (of course). This one place that an rv repair place referred us to, said they didn't have the brand we had but to bring them in and they would see if they had any. What made me giggle is the hubby (Carl) said ok, if camping world doesn't call me back they have them. The guy said they won't have them, they order from us. LOL
Old 03-13-2014, 08:41 AM   #14
azlee56

Well that job wasn't too painful for him. We found a place here in town and the difference in buying the kit vs the parts were so close he just bought the "kit". Ok, he bought an impact wrench too and a jack. He was able to look at the suspension, grease and renew the brakes in a short time. He said the hardest thing was putting the tires back on the fifth wheel. The "kit" (affixed shoes, magnets, etc) was a little over 330.00. The jack 69.99 and wrench and stuff 50.00.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:25 AM   #15
Movin' on

[ The "kit" (affixed shoes, magnets, etc) was a little over 330.00. The jack 69.99 and wrench and stuff 50.00.]

Becoming newlyweds = priceless!

Welcome back.

2016 305RL Montana High Country
2015 Silverado 2500HD 6.6 Duramax

Life's a Journey, Slow Down and Enjoy the Trip!
Movin' on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:27 AM   #16
azlee56

LOL, that was good and I hadn't even thought of it that way while typing. Thanks for the welcome back.