Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 11-20-2013, 01:25 PM   #1
rockyincc

Fantastic Fan cover/cover

Hello all, new guy here on the forum.
We just bought a used 04 Montana 3400RL

We have the thermostat controlled Fantastic vent fan--that said--I tried the Max air cover, that said it would work on the Fantastic fan--so did the dealer.
Much to my surprise with the fan cover ALL the way open-(test fit)-it did NOT clear by a long shot----
do I just need to find, and buy the (Fantastic fan model) made by them/Fantastic--FANTASTIC FAN-TASTIC VENT ULTRA BREEZE VENT COVER U1500WH--(that is what I think--but I will have to order-and want it to work)

When I bought the Max air--they of course did NOT have a Fantastic cover there--and I remarked it looked not deep enough--it said it would work--NOT!!

thanks for any input
Rocky
rockyincc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 02:04 PM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

The standard Maxx-aire cover will not work, you must use the one designed for powered vents ..... they are much larger and less restrictive. I have never seen the one from Fantastic so I can't comment on that one.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 02:46 PM   #3
rockyincc

The one I tried was much larger--said it would work with fantastic fans--did not specify on it (power vent)
Took it back to dealer for refund--but could not be-leave it was such a NO GO--after saying it would work on fantastic vent fans???

Dug out the receipt--it was a FAN MATE 850

Rocky
Old 11-20-2013, 08:34 PM   #4
BlindGuyNAR

I put the covers on mine. Remember they are short for clearance. Too tall and it might hit something while driving.

My vents don't open "all" the way, but they don't need to. Plenty of air flow at the 75% they open. There is no air restriction at the 75% they are open.

Try turning on the fan on high with the cover barely open. You will hear the air restriction. The sould will be noticable. Now continue to open it 3-4 more inches. The restriction is gone as you will hear the sound change. That is as high as it "needs" to go for no restriction. Anything beyond that height is butter.

That is plenty to fit under those vent covers. I love them and can leave vents open during travel, rain, storage, and fair weather. You won't be disappointed.

2013 Mountaineer 346 LBQ

If no one from the future comes to stop you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?
BlindGuyNAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 08:40 PM   #5
laredorick

Go to you tube and search ULTRA BREEZE. This is the only cover that works. My dealer included 2 standard covers plus Ultra breeze to seal the deal.
laredorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 05:39 AM   #6
rockyincc

My vents don't open "all" the way, but they don't need to. Plenty of air flow at the 75% they open. There is no air restriction at the 75% they are open.

Try turning on the fan on high with the cover barely open. You will hear the air restriction. The sould will be noticable. Now continue to open it 3-4 more inches. The restriction is gone as you will hear the sound change. That is as high as it "needs" to go for no restriction

I do not understand how you get the Fantastic fan to open--(part way) mine is either--ALL open or ALL closed--as it is motorized--and when all open it did NOT want to clear the Maxx Aire vent 850--that said it would work
What am I missing
Thanks Rocky
Old 11-21-2013, 06:39 AM   #7
B&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyincc View Post

Try turning on the fan on high with the cover barely open. You will hear the air restriction. The sould will be noticable. Now continue to open it 3-4 more inches. The restriction is gone as you will hear the sound change. That is as high as it "needs" to go for no restriction

I do not understand how you get the Fantastic fan to open--(part way) mine is either--ALL open or ALL closed--as it is motorized--and when all open it did NOT want to clear the Maxx Aire vent 850--that said it would work
What am I missing
Thanks Rocky
Rocky, not all Fantastic fans have the motorized lid-- my last TT had one with a manual lid opener and i was able to use the larger MaxAir with it. The Fantastic lid would not open completely but that was never a problem as it had plenty of air flow.

I suspect some of the replies here did not understand that you had the Fantastic fan with the motorized vent lid.
2003 R-Vision Traillite
B&T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 07:59 AM   #8
rockyincc

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&T View Post
Rocky, not all Fantastic fans have the motorized lid-- my last TT had one with a manual lid opener and i was able to use the larger MaxAir with it. The Fantastic lid would not open completely but that was never a problem as it had plenty of air flow.

I suspect some of the replies here did not understand that you had the Fantastic fan with the motorized vent lid.
10-4
I had a manual unit in our old 5th wheel==of course NO PROBLEM
I know there are tons of motorized units out there--someone must have hoods--the search goes on!!

thanks, Rocky
Old 11-21-2013, 08:23 AM   #9
jlb27537

The motorized units stop because of the restriction of movement.

I have used a standard Max-air or a Cameo Cover on a powered Fantastic Vent Fan.

The lid will open part way and stop when it hits the top of the vent cover. Leave the fan speed on LOW and all will be just fine. I am not aware of any vent cover that will go over a Fantastic Vent when the lid is full open.

I prefer the Camco brand. The rear louver is removable for cleaning the top of the vent cover. Remove the screen on the inside of the vent cover to prevent air flow restriction. Of course the screen inside the RV on the fan will keep any bugs out.

Fantastic cautions about covers, because they do not know what you are going to install. IF the fan is on high and the vent is only partly open, it could in-fact overheat the motor trying to move air with restricted flow.

Jim
Old 11-21-2013, 01:23 PM   #10
rockyincc

Well here I'm back--with egg on my face
It is true, the lid did stop when it hit--I went up on top, had wife activate fan--when it got part way open I stopped it with my had--no propblem!! dang, learn something every day!!!!

Thanks all, I think I will go with the Maxx Aire 850--the one I had to start with!!--as it is hinged, and opens for cleaning---and it attaches to lip of vent, instead of roof.

Rocky
Old 11-21-2013, 03:22 PM   #11
BlindGuyNAR

My case is a bit differant. My power vents have a remote rocker style switches on the walls to open / close and adjust fan speed. I just hold switch one way to open and other way to close. Stopping at any point along the way stops open/close process.

If yours is fully auto and has a safety stop you should still be ok.

2013 Mountaineer 346 LBQ

If no one from the future comes to stop you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?
BlindGuyNAR is offline   Reply With Quote