Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-22-2013, 01:27 PM   #1
Cyncwby

Remote control ???

When we were looking at all the different 5th wheels to buy we saw and heard numerous times about the remote control function for the awning, slide and lights. After we picked up our "New" built on 10/31/12 Mountaineer 295 RKD we couldn't find the remote. I ended up calling the dealer and was told that Keystone stopped installing the remote system 2 1/2 weeks before ours was built.

Seems kind of like false advertising if they keep mentioning it after they stop installing the system without making a notification. Anyone else had this happen? or does anyone else have the remote system after our build date? thanks in advance....Dave
Cyncwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 01:34 PM   #2
dvn/ajn

We did not get one on ours either. Have heard there was some issues.
Dvn
16K SuperGlide
dvn/ajn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:41 PM   #3
BlindGuyNAR

Same here. 2012 unit and i called Keystone for the info. A lot of issues I heard. If your handy you can add it for $300-$500 (it is NOT wired for it), but honestly unless you are disabled you'll be fine without it.

I know one issue was customer confusion. If you used the remote to turn on something the switch wouldn't work to turn it off. You had to use remote to turn off. (Basically remote system couldn't understand the current state of the electronic item so it disabled switches so it didn't 't have to worry about it)

The only features I thought would be really helpful is front jacks/awning. You could get a wireless kit for those for $40 off eBay. (If your ok at wiring)
BlindGuyNAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:52 PM   #4
Cyncwby

Really I could care less about the remote and as I agreed with another owner....it's just something else to go wrong, which by the sounds of it.....it did! I just wish my salesman knew that they quit offering that system over a year ago.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:52 PM   #5
BlindGuyNAR

I kinda feel the same way. When I first bought and joined this forum it was to ask about the missing remote. My salesman didn't tell me about it. I had researched it on my own and had assumed it had the feature. So It was my fault.

In your case you were told of the feature as a selling point.

If you feel really strongly about if talk with your salesman. He/she most likely didn't deceive you on purpose. They just didn't know it was discontinued.

They won't be able get you the feature, but maybe a gift cert, free propane for a year, or free winter prep, etc. Just think outside the box on it.

Their type of business is customer service and they get a lot from word of mouth. i put more stock in hearing how someone handled an issue than a perfect sale any day.

They want you to be happy. Just be nice (not a push over) and I bet you'll do fine.
BlindGuyNAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:53 PM   #6
Pmedic4

Remote for Cougar High Country

I know it's slightly different situation from yours, but when I picked up my Cougar, it didn't come with the remote. I would have expected the walk through to have it, but the guy didn't mention it, and just assume the guy didn't know about it(otherwise he was very knowledgeable). So, looking through the info, found it included the remote, so when I had to take it back for service, I asked the service department. The guy in the Service department kind of blew it off - said I wouldn't really like the remote, they did provide it, and I think it's great. Now, after I learned to use it, stupidly left it on the bumper of the truck, fell off and cracked the screen, and had to buy another off the internet.

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:25 PM   #7
CWSWine

We just picked up a 2014 Keystone Cougar and it came with the remote.
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:00 AM   #8
WaltBennett

Look at the controller

I think all the electronics and remotes Keystone uses come from Lippert (LCI). If you've the right kind of controller, you can get a remote from LCI directly and program it for your controller very easily. Don't know what else Keystone would have installed in your 5er other than one of these controllers, but they may have found something cheaper.

'06 F350 Lariat turbo diesel dually, Curt 20k, Softopper, Aerosheld, coolant filter, air bags
'10 3665RE Hickory, wet bolts, Trimetric battery monitor, 4 100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking!
WaltBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:51 AM   #9
Jim & DJ

If you didn't receive a remote with your purchase of the 5er, look inside the left front compartment, and up behind the left landing leg. If remote came with the purchase, there will be a circuit board in that area, about 6" by 6", that the remote transmits to.

Call Lippert customer service. 574-537-8900. or e-mail them @ [email protected]
They are "awesome" and can tell you if there is a remote for your 5W.

Proud owners of a used 2009 Montana 3465 SA with remote that works great and hopefully I won't misplace it again.
2007 F350 6.0 turbo Diesel(was new 75,000 miles ago)
Jim & DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 01:08 PM   #10
buzzcop63

The remote came with our 2012 Cougar, purchased in March of 2012. What we found in using it is the ability to be outside and watch the slide come out and know you are not going to hit anything or running the Awning in or out its nice to make sure that the arms are retracting smoothly. The remote has other uses and can be convenient to some but its cost is high so hope that Keystone put the money some where else in the unit that would be more advantages.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:35 PM   #11
Cyncwby

Just to clear things up....our Mountaineer is not equipped to have the remote. I went through this with one of the techs when I called Pete's, I won't bother with the salesman....again. He had me open the front compartment and look above the battery for a black box with wires and lables inicating "awning" "slide" etc. Mine doesn't have it sooooo it's not equipped for the remote. Still no call back from the owner, Dave
Old 09-27-2013, 12:09 PM   #12
greende

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzcop63 View Post
The remote came with our 2012 Cougar, purchased in March of 2012. What we found in using it is the ability to be outside and watch the slide come out and know you are not going to hit anything or running the Awning in or out its nice to make sure that the arms are retracting smoothly. The remote has other uses and can be convenient to some but its cost is high so hope that Keystone put the money some where else in the unit that would be more advantages.
We have a 2012 293SAB purchased in Oct '11 and it came with a remote. I agree with the quoted post here. I use it all the time to watch on the outside as I'm running the slides out. Also, I can stand in the doorway and watch the 2' level on the floor and run the front landing gear up or down to level it.
greende is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 08:32 PM   #13
Pmedic4

Love the remote... Excuse me

Oh I love the remote, I feel bad talking about it, as it seems like I'm rubbing it in to the guy who bought his model 5ver expecting it to have the remote..

Yes, it is a really nice feature. From just being able to raise or lower the front landing gear standing right next to hitch, to ensuring not hitting anything when extending the sldies, to leveling, etc.

Just wondering about possibility of adding one, to amend for telling someone how much I love mine. The Lippert unit, is listed on their website for $163. With the critical question now is would you need to run wires to the slides, landing gear, rear jack, and awning to do it? Have they already done that, just didn't include the receiver unit? Yeah possible without, but would seem to be a pain.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised you could probably find one used somewhere, as there are several salvage dealers around,
Otherwise, sorry.

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 04:56 AM   #14
kiwi2000

When I purchased my new 2010 Mountaineer it had the remote system but the salesman could not find the remote and said he would mail it. I did not think anything suspicious was going on at the time.
He did send it but the remote system has never, ever worked. It has been to two different dealers as well. The remote has been changed along with the box in the nose.

I recently asked keystone for a rebate or something, they said bring it back to the dealer.

I am going to try for a fix again but after the third strike I am just going to have to enjoy the rv "as is".
kiwi2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 12:26 PM   #15
Yosemitebob

Ours has one, it's a 2013, and we use it all the time. No problems, and it does not turn off switches. It's great for backing into the hitch, you can lower or raise it from the cab.
1800 / 3600 inverter with auto transfer switch,
The bosses: My wife and two Labradoddles 80 lbs each
Yosemitebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 03:23 PM   #16
charlie tuna

had the same problem with my new cougar xlite,called keystone and they said check the fine print in pamplet,keystone has the right to cancel anything at any time without notification.keystone doesn't make new pamplets every year.
charlie tuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 04:17 PM   #17
diugo
Permanent User Ban

My rig came with the receiver but the remote was missing when I did my walkthru, but the dealer did get me one about a week later.

I never use it for the main slide or the front jacks----but I always use it for the awning, because the manual switch wiring is loose and I am too lazy to pop the panel to fix it. I also use it to raise my solar panels---the receiver had an extra pair of terminals just begging to be used.

The system requires a phenomenal amount of additional wiring, so it's not too surprising Keystone discontinued it on some models. Trying to wire it up after taking delivery would be HUGELY labor intensive and absolutely not worth the effort, IMHO.
diugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:52 PM   #18
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie tuna View Post
had the same problem with my new cougar xlite,called keystone and they said check the fine print in pamplet,keystone has the right to cancel anything at any time without notification.keystone doesn't make new pamplets every year.
Charlie tuna,

Open the front battery compartment on your XLite. Mounted on the front wall of that compartment is a remote control master unit with 2 big sanyo IC's mounted right in the middle. If you find that, the remote control system is installed in your trailer. I'd almost bet you that it's there. If it isn't, you've got the only 2014 XLite I've ever heard of without the "Cougar Lite" remote control system.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote