Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-02-2016, 08:06 AM   #1
Milocka

Anyone permanently add a 2nd fresh water tank?

I almost exclusively boondock. My Laredo has a 49gal fresh water tank and (2) 40gal gray tanks. Family of 4 and a wife that insists on taking a shower every 24hrs :-)

Underbelly is "sealed" and I haven't taken the time to pull down the corrugated lining to even see where I could mount an aux tank. Just a thought at this point.

I currently use a 55gal barrel that I throw in the bed of the truck and siphon it into the rig when empty.

Just wanted to get some ideas especially since I have never filled both gray tanks while camping.

PS - I realize adding another 40-50gals of water will add 300-400#s too, not too concerned about that, my rig has a pretty hefty GCCW of 3020#
Milocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 09:16 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

It's not so much the TV GVWR, but also the trailer. Water is roughly 8lbs/gal so adding 350 lbs of water will subtract that much from the trailer rating.

Depending on your floor plan, there may not be space to put another fresh tank near the present one. If that's the case, you'll need to factor in the water lines and such.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 06:49 AM   #3
McRod

We are looking at dropping our black tank and replacing it with an additional fresh water tank for the same reasons - ability to dry camp for longer periods.

I have found a site that sells them, so doing the research now on installation and plumbing. I'll see if I can post back if I get it done.
McRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 01:26 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRod View Post
We are looking at dropping our black tank and replacing it with an additional fresh water tank.

So what are you going to do with the potty waste?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 08:03 PM   #5
PerryB

I carry a 55 gal plastic food grade barrel and a 12v water pump with a 7 pin RV plug on the end of the cord. Plug it into the truck socket for power. This is very useful in group camps also because there is usually somebody going into town every couple days. They take the barrel and fill it up. If you really want a second tank in the trailer, what about putting it under the master bed and using it to gravity fill the main tank? Unless you have a sliding bed of course.
PerryB is offline   Reply With Quote