Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 12-09-2015, 11:22 AM   #1
camping_j

Cougar vs. Hideout

I am looking at getting a new camper in a couple months and we narrowed it down to 2, the cougar xlite 28rdb or the hideout 295bhs. We really like both of them as each of them have their own pros and cons. Does anyone have any feedback on the quality of these campers? The cougar does cost more so does that mean I would be getting a better rig?
camping_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 01:29 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum.
Have you gone and looked at either unit? What is "better" in your opinion?
Entry level and high end units will both use some of the same appliances. More $ may be a sealed vs. open underbelly, black tank rinser vs. none, no tv vs....
You should look on keystones website and look at what standard features are included in each model, that might help you visualize the price differences.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 07:33 PM   #3
theeyres

If you go to the Keystone website and click on fivers you will see that they have four levels. Hideout is the first level where Cougar is the second level. I think that means it may have a little better insulation, maybe more underbelly covering, better furniture, etc. But a decked out Hideout may be as good as the Cougar. But get what you like the best. Just look closely to see the differences. Cougar will mean better quality...but that may or may not be that important.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 07:58 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping_j View Post
I am looking at getting a new camper in a couple months and we narrowed it down to 2, the cougar xlite 28rdb or the hideout 295bhs. We really like both of them as each of them have their own pros and cons. Does anyone have any feedback on the quality of these campers? The cougar does cost more so does that mean I would be getting a better rig?
Good Evening and welcome to the forum. In a previous post, you indicated this: "Our current TV is an 03 Silverado 1500hd with 4:10 gearing and a programmer."

The two fifth wheels you've listed are both fairly large, the Hideout weighs almost 1000 pounds more than the Cougar, but both have empty pin weights that will, in all probability, overload your current tow vehicle. By the time you add a battery, propane, camping gear, install a hitch in your truck and get your family buckled into the cab, you're going to be well over the safe limit with either of those trailers. Are you also in the market for a larger tow vehicle? If not, you might want to do some serious reconsiderations. A 35' fifth wheel is simply too much weight for a half ton truck.

As for your question about "which is better" the Hideout is a "entry level" trailer with some "nice features" while the Cougar is a "standard build" trailer with may "upgraded features" over the Hideout. But, in the grand scheme of things, look for the floorplan and features that are important to you and your style of camping. Buying a "better trailer" and not getting the features you need will not give you as much enjoyment and functionality as a "cheaper trailer" that has all the "stuff you need".....

Good Luck with your search,

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 11:17 AM   #5
Lawdog

Howdy. We looked at both of the ones you're looking at, among many others, and went with the X-Lite 28RDB. We liked the layout of both, but for us, the X-Lite won out for a few reasons.

For us, weight and length were big factors. The Hideout is heavier and longer. The Hideout comes in at a GVWR of 11,200# and the Cougar is rated at 10,000#. When I did my weight rating thinking, I looked at gross weights not empty or dry weights. That 1200 pounds was a factor. We wanted to stay as light as possible, within our other wants. The Hideout is two feet longer than the X-Lite, and since we are double-towing, length was important.

Otherwise, we liked the interior decor and appointments of the X-Lite--8 cu fridge being one difference. The 28RDB also has very good storage that really sealed the deal. There's an exterior bay on the rear that is just huge. As for quality, I'd say ours feels like it's well-built, but I want to camp in it some before saying too much. We sure hope for the best. Good luck.

RAM 3500 Cummins HO
2016 Cougar X-Lite 28RDB
Kawasaki Teryx 4 LE
Lawdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 05:42 PM   #6
dieselsmoke

My wife and I looked at both and went with the Hideout 298bhds. The cougar may be a higher level 5th wheel but we really liked the floorplan of the Hideout. I really like the opposing slides, providing plenty of room in the middle of the unit where everyone mainly gathers. Also, we liked the bathroom in the Hideout better. The shower has a triple glass door slide that doesn't feel like your showering in a closet. So I would say, if budget is not the primary concern, go with the unit that has the options you prefer. Everyone's lifestyle is a bit different. I believe the Cougar and 2014+ Hideouts are built the same. (Fiberglass shell with aluminum framing) The Cougar I looked at did have some nicer amenities, no doubt, but the floorplan of the Hideout combined with the pricetag made it an easy decision. After 2 full seasons of camping in my 2014 Hideout, only problem I have had is the lighted awning has failed twice and the rubber gasket hiding the screws around the door blew off on the NJ turnpike. Turning to ebay for parts made both an easy fix. Good Luck!

2012 ram 2500 cummins mega-cab
2014 hideout 298bhds 5th wheel
dieselsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote