Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 11-14-2015, 11:31 AM   #1
Lrdchaos

Actual pin weight Cougar 336bhs

Does anyone have their actual pin weight for their 336bhs?
Lrdchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 01:10 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Pin weights will vary based on how much stuff you have loaded in front of the axles.

Best thing to do is take the published pin weight and then add propane and battery(s). After that you can guesstimate how much stuff your going to pack. And FWIW, stuff behind the axles will reduce pin weight. My Jayco had a 60 gal fresh tank across the rear. I could tell the difference between full and empty.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 02:55 PM   #3
Lrdchaos

Does anyone know where the tanks are located?
Old 11-14-2015, 05:55 PM   #4
BobnLee

Load your trailer the way you would like to have it loaded. Take it to a CAT scale and have it weighed. No more guessing You can take it right empty and weigh it or loaded up and weigh it. I did no more guesswork.
BobnLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 06:29 PM   #5
Lrdchaos

I don't have the trailer, I'm trying to determine the pin weight so I can see how close to my axle rating I will be. I know I'm going to be over payload by probably 300lbs. I'm looking to buy and really like the 336bhs. I actually prefer the Mesa Ridge 310BHS TT, but at 37 ft long and decreased outside storage I'm looking for other options.
Old 11-14-2015, 06:39 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

Take your truck to the scales with everything you would have in it when hooked up. Once you know the rear axle weight, subtract it from the axle rating and you'll know how much pin weight you can legally handle.

That said, there are loads of people that don't even bother to check. There are a lot of threads here discussing the subject of weights and such. It comes down to what you feel comfortable with. I didn't see where you live, but here in Ca. I know the CHP can and will weigh you and take your trailer if your over weight. Get into an accident, and if the other party can prove your over, it may cost your more than you bargained for.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 07:45 PM   #7
Lrdchaos

My axle rating is 6100, my loaded truck has 3200 rear axle weight. So I have 2900 until I'm over my axle rating. The 336bhs has a 12000 gvwr rating so roughly 2400 loaded pin weight, plus 200 for the hitch so I'm 300 under. The original point of my post was to find owners with this particular unit to determine if 2400 was an accurate number. I understand that it can vary, but it probably won't vary more that a couple hundred lbs.
Old 11-14-2015, 09:24 PM   #8
nellie1289

Hey I have this unit. Mine usually is around 2200-2300 the few times I have checked it. Since I have a 3500 ram a non issue. Lol. Let me know if you have any questions I have posted a lot on my 336bhs and am happy to answer more questions. Did a lot of research and now with the help of the users here I feel like a sorta expert lol.
2021 Malibu 23 LSV
2017 Yamaha YXZ1000R SS SE
2019 Can AM Maverick X3 Turbo XRS
nellie1289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 12:32 AM   #9
Lrdchaos

Thank you. I will be in touch, I'm sure to have a number of questions to follow.
Old 11-15-2015, 03:24 AM   #10
notanlines

From Chuckster, "there are loads of people that don't even bother to check." Anybody have any idea what percent of RVer's have ever weighed their rig? The lady in the truck stop outside New Orleans on I-10 told me in three years she had never weighed an RV on her CAT scale. Most simply aren't knowledgeable enough about their pastime to give a rat's patoot. And a small percentage think that if their truck will tow it AND stay in one lane most of the time, what more can you ask.....We have friends who purchased a 34 foot Sportster who had a "helper spring" put under each side of their F-150. The guy doing the work at the dealership told them "Now you have an F-250." True story.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 09:17 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
From Chuckster, "there are loads of people that don't even bother to check." Anybody have any idea what percent of RVer's have ever weighed their rig? The lady in the truck stop outside New Orleans on I-10 told me in three years she had never weighed an RV on her CAT scale. Most simply aren't knowledgeable enough about their pastime to give a rat's patoot. And a small percentage think that if their truck will tow it AND stay in one lane most of the time, what more can you ask.....We have friends who purchased a 34 foot Sportster who had a "helper spring" put under each side of their F-150. The guy doing the work at the dealership told them "Now you have an F-250." True story.
I would guess that about 1% of the "Keystone owners" are members here and probably less than half of our members "actually post" to the forum. Probably less than 0.5% of "SOB" owners even look at our forum and significantly less than that join and post here. So, I'd say that we have a very small, barely even a miniscule "window view" of RV owners that are represented here. Even with that small number, it has been an "almost weekly event" to have someone post or ask the question: "Can my truck tow this RV?". We've even, at times, had members post their "boastings" of successful towing experiences with a half ton truck and a 37' fifth wheel or towing a triple axle (40'+) fifth wheel with an older 3/4 ton F250/2500 class truck, sometimes boasting of "excellent controllability at 80MPH." So, I'd "hazard to guess" that there is much, MUCH greater population of owners who are towing a significantly larger RV than the truck manufacturer would consider "within the GVWR/GCWR" for the vehicle.

Sometimes we "sway the opinion" of the "would be buyer" and sometimes we "lose to the emotion of what they want" (in spite of safety considerations). As has been stated in the past, "Thankfully, few RV's are involved in accidents" so many of these "overloaded owners" manage to literally, "pull it off" until they get a bigger vehicle.

Is it a problem? and if so, how big a problem? The comment made by that weighmaster near New Orleans is probably a strong indicator of just how many RV owners have their "head in the sand" (certainly not our members, though).............

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 10:40 PM   #12
goducks

All one has to do is walk around any campground or RV park and you'll see that many are towing over the trucks payload but probably under the RAWR. Very rarely do I ever see anyone broke down on the side of the road.
5th wheels are a lot more stable when towing than TT's. Being over the trucks payload rating isn't really a concern as long as the tow rating is kept in check and you're under the RAWR.
Most truck tow ratings can vary from gear selection. 3.42-4.10. Same truck underpinnings but it can tow more. It's also rated to stop more.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 09:22 PM   #13
fvstringpicker

Here's the thing. When you see campgrounds with "overloaded" trucks you have to ask yourself, "if there are so many of these trucks that not only got here but seemed to tow these 'too heavy' rigs miles and miles without major breakdown or incident, is the rating on the sticker a little more conservative than what these trucks are really capable of?"
fvstringpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 09:47 PM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvstringpicker View Post
Here's the thing. When you see campgrounds with "overloaded" trucks you have to ask yourself, "if there are so many of these trucks that not only got here but seemed to tow these 'too heavy' rigs miles and miles without major breakdown or incident, is the rating on the sticker a little more conservative than what these trucks are really capable of?"
You're probably fairly accurate on suspecting that the ratings are "conservative"... Imagine what they would be trying to tow if the ratings were "at the limit".... Hmmmmm

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 03:06 PM   #15
gearhead

I'm not second guessing the trucks manufacturer. If they say the payload is 3265 then that is what the state trooper will enforce. Not to mention what will happen if you have wreck and hurt someone. Some starving lawyer will put 2 and 2 together and calculate you being overweight. Adios 401k.
A friend of mine was pulling a 5th through California, a bit overweight. CHP pulled him over and weighed him on the side of the road. They told him if he didn't live so far away (Texas) that the trailer would be parked until he showed up with a suitable truck to tow it.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 09:23 PM   #16
cant_remember_ID

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrdchaos View Post
Does anyone have their actual pin weight for their 336bhs?
Here is the cat scale slip from a few weeks ago for my 336 bhs. No water or supplies, but basic gear that stays in there all the time. I have a 2011 F350. It's about 8000 lbs dry. Puts my pin at about 2300 lbs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1449292723638-1903641393.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	9751  
cant_remember_ID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 09:33 PM   #17
cant_remember_ID

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrdchaos View Post
Does anyone know where the tanks are located?
Fresh water is at the very back. Grey for the galley is just in front of the axels and black and shower grey are under the basement, pretty far forward. But I rarely travel with full waste tanks.
cant_remember_ID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 11:43 AM   #18
CWtheMan

I’ve posted this information before so this is sort of a recap for this thread.

All RV trailer manufacturers MUST establish and publish a trailer hitch/pin weight. It is used for a mandatory measurement value when certifying a trailer. The regulation reads, in part, that the manufacturer’s established hitch/pin weight, when added to the total trailer GAWR MUST equal or exceed GVWR.

Once the first owner takes control of the trailer they are totally responsible for the trailer’s hitch/pin weights, as they will vary with each cargo load and how it’s loaded.

Like tires, pick-up trucks have reserve load capacities built into their axles above their certified GAWRs. So, when an owner starts to exceed their truck’s established GAWR values, they are, in all probability, starting to exceed the vehicle’s GVWR. Doing so enters a gray safety area. The vehicle manufacturer set the GVWR as a maximum safe value. Many truck owner’s are convinced they are better suited in setting their own safety standards and publish just how they go about doing it.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote