Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-01-2015, 08:21 PM   #1
omextreme

New 5er missing AC unit... Questions

Edit: The AC issue / missing sensor concern is behind us, the primary AC runs just fine off of the sensor in the actual thermostat.

I am leaving all the details of my experience up for all the world to see since we were treated so Poorly by a seeming reputable sales center. In the end the unit was "fixed" and i guess that ultimately that is all that matters.

We picked up our new 2015 340bh over the weekend from an out of state dealership. At this time I will not name names with the hope that they follow through with their promises. If they dont then I will call them out.

Anyway.......

Found a 340bh in Florida that we liked, verified it had the options we wanted with the sales person. Had them send me the build sheet from keystone to double check and signed the contract.

Drove 600 miles with the wife and kids to pickup Sat @ 9am.

Arrived and immediately noticed that the unit did NOT have 2 ac units as specified. Even though i specifically asked the salesperson, and the 2nd bedroom a/c was on the build sheet. HOW DO YOU NOT NOTICE THE UNIT IS MISSING A OPTIONED 2ND AC UNIT?????????

Well they offered to install the missing a/c while we waited and we agreed... They promised it would be done quickly and assured me that no one would leave until we were hitched and driving away.

Here is where the frustration begins.

First they tried to tell me that they could not install a ducted unit as specified for this trailer and i refused. Then they found a ducted unit and installed it. After installing, the unit would not run. By this time 3pm it was all hands on deck to figure out what the issue was. It was determined that the thermostat wire was bad that was part of the prewire.

While they were looking into why the new unit would not run. I found, not them.... that there also was no sensor in the bunkhouse for the main ac but rather the sensor for the factory installed main unit was located in in the master. They told me this was how it was designed. Again I refused that solution. So they said they could install a ceiling mounted sensor in both rooms and just leave the factory wall sensor in the master disconnected. By this time it was 4pm and my twin 5 year olds had had enough so i accepted this as the solution.

After they finished I popped my head in to verify both units were running and cooling and dashed off across the campus to the sales building to do paperwork.

Well after paperwork was done, we shook hands and walked outside to find our new unit was parked in the street???? So i told the sales person I would do one more walk through and then hitch it up. Went out to the unit, checked it over and found that they never installed the thermostat sensor in the bunk house.i immediately called the service adviser and went straight to voice mail. Climbed out of the camper to go over the the sales center and found gate was locked and they were driving away..

Hummm so I called our delivery tech and no answer. Hopped in my truck drove over to the service / delivery center and ghost town.

At this point its pouring rain, and i am starting to get annoyed, we stayed over 6 hours waiting for them to correct their MAJOR oversight and they promised to stick with us until the end.

Moving on... Went to install the anderson hitch coupler and found that they had "mushroomed" out the bottom of the king pin probably due to the fact that they drag the 5er's around with a flat plate / hole attached to a forklift. And due to the scuffing / denting / dinging / general beat to hell condition of the pin the anderson coupling would not slide in place. Well 45 mins and 1 trip to Home Depot later I am standing in the rain filing the kingpin smooth in the rain. Finally installed the hitch and drug the beast home...

Now on to my REAL question:

I need to install a sensor in the bunkhouse. It is a super easy task but before I go screwing a sensor to the ceiling and fishing the wires should there be a factory prewire for a rear / bunk house sensor? I would hate to not use a wall location if there were actually wires run somewhere that I can just grab.

When push comes to shove, we really love the new camper but absolutely HATE the face that this huge dealer just dumped us outside the gates when we really needed them.

Thanks in advance for any advise.
omextreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 06:27 AM   #2
old timer

Wow what a ordeal for sure. What crappy service you got. On a new unit they damaged it so you couldn't hook it up. Dragged it to the street so they could close up. Left you standing in the rain. What a lousy experience you had.
I would be pi**ed that they didnt care enough to stay while you hooked up your truck to the unit and drive away happy camper. This place needs to be put on the wall of shame.
As for your problem sorry I cant help but I am mad for you. To bad Keystone doesn't have a rating system for dealers that sell there product. Get a bad rating and Keystone should come down like auto manufacturers come down on dealers.
old timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 06:29 PM   #3
Ken / Claudia

What a lousy dealer. It is another story of how not spending time (maybe hours) doing a complete PDI before any ownership/contract is signed can cause headaches bigger than ever thought possible. Do not tell the salesman hurry you down the road with the RV and him with your money or name on a contract until the RV is ready.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 07:03 PM   #4
omextreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
What a lousy dealer. It is another story of how not spending time (maybe hours) doing a complete PDI before any ownership/contract is signed can cause headaches bigger than ever thought possible. Do not tell the salesman hurry you down the road with the RV and him with your money or name on a contract until the RV is ready.
I did a exhaustive PDI while waiting for an answer / install on the missing AC unit. Top to bottom inside and out. The agreement was we would be leaving with a fully functional properly installed 2nd A/C or the deal was off.

We actually had a line in the buyers contract that if the unit did NOT pass MY PDI we would be entitled to our deposit back without question. They were hesitant to agree to those terms but since we were traveling in from out of state I insisted.

In the trailer I only found few small issues during the inspection, Loose switches in the control center (easy self fix) Cracking on the corner of fiberglass door to the outdoor kitchen (Had the approval from keystone in writing before we left to have our local dealer fix) and the inside of the sliding shower door track was not properly caulked from the factory (again easy self fix)

The only thing I missed was the damage to the kingpin (would never have been an issue with a standard hitch, only on the anderson) and the 2nd sensor...

As far as the 2nd sensor they were going to install in the bunk goes, I am actually wondering if zone 1 should and is actually using the sensor built into the thermostat itself.

All told I had 4 plus hours worth of inspection time while the sourced and installed the exterior portion of the A/C. Once they moved inside the unit I moved to the exterior so as not to be in the way.
Old 09-02-2015, 07:23 PM   #5
GrumpyG

Sounds like Camping World to me...

GrumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 07:51 PM   #6
omextreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyG View Post
Sounds like Camping World to me...

Surprisingly..... Not CW.
Old 09-02-2015, 07:55 PM   #7
Ken / Claudia

I would have left it right where they did and shut down the sale. Drove home and wait for a phone call that everything was fixed. There is no reason anyone or any company to put you thru all that. I hope it works out OK.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 03:53 AM   #8
Face Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by omextreme View Post

As far as the 2nd sensor they were going to install in the bunk goes, I am actually wondering if zone 1 should and is actually using the sensor built into the thermostat itself.
That is how my unit is setup. Zone 1 has no external sensor and uses the thermostat, Zone 2 (bedroom) has an external sensor mounted up high on the wall by the door.
Face Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 05:58 PM   #9
omextreme

Ok I am going to call these guys out by name.

Before leaving the dealership while trying to sort out the issues we left at least 6 messages with 6 different departments / people. No one EVER called back to date.

This morning @ 8:15 am I get an automated call stating something to this effect
".......This is a courtesy call from North Trail RV..... We understand you may have had an issue with a purchase...... After the beep please briefly explain what your concern is and someone will call you back......

SERIOUSLY ----- They robo called ME so I could leave a message with my concern rather then actually calling me in person to ask!

This transaction / fiasco was courtesy of North Trail RV Center in Ft Myers Florida....
Old 09-08-2015, 06:25 AM   #10
Alpine

Quite shameful. They obviously make enough money with "first time buyers" they don't worry about "return customers"! Sorry your having to put up with this poor service!

Jeff & Jan - Retired & Full-timing since 2013
2019 Ram Big Horn 3500 Aisin 4x4
2012 Alpine 3450-RL
Double Coin 235/75R-17.5/16 J rated 125lb
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 09:13 AM   #11
Campy

There ya go ,... call em out that way we all know who to avoid! Post's like this will stick in the back of your mind and will be recalled if your ever there for service or a major purchase and you'll be setting there going, hum....
Old 09-08-2015, 09:33 AM   #12
Desert185

Maybe the admins could generate a sticky or a "Wall of Shame" section with a list of dealers and vendors who have negative experiences reported by our forum members. With a list numbering repeat complaints a trend could be identified like airlines not to fly or don't buy china bombs (which should be obvious by now).
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 11:49 AM   #13
gwperkins

Could have sworn it was LazyDays in Seffner FL.

Your experience sounds like ours a number of years ago when purchasing a motorhome.

2012 Alpine 3450RL (semi-permanently located in Yuma AZ)
2013 Chevrolet 2500HD CCSB
1999 Beaver Marquis Motorhome (travel the country during the summers)
gwperkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 04:29 AM   #14
old timer

With all this stuff going on with buying new TT's it's a wonder people buy these things in the first place. Especially they are spending so much money. I wouldn't want to go buy a new car and have this much trouble. Are all TT's like this? Do dealers even fix things before a buyer comes in the door? I figure that all manufacturers are all the same so not picking on Keystone. My 2003 Montana doesnt have any problems and i know the original seller and they had no problems ether.
old timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 02:35 PM   #15
Bob Landry

My four year old Outback is starting to look pretty good.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote