Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-09-2015, 06:44 AM   #1
crowderd

Hot water Tank

I have discovered that I cannot turn off my Hot Water Tank when it is on electric. It will shut off on propane, but otherwise I am constantly heating water.

Any Suggestions

I have a 2008 Keystoner Eversest
crowderd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 06:50 AM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

There is a rocker switch on the lower left corner of the outside of the heater. (6 gal. ,, larger may be in a different spot but still there) You also should have a dedicated circuit breaker marked HW that will turn it off. If you drain the system these MUST be off or the element will burn out.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 07:12 AM   #3
GaryWT

If there is no water in the tank it needs to be off. Are the switches not working? Generally there is a switch inside, wall switch or switch on the panel or something. Plus, as stated above, some have a switch on the unit itself, outside, open the door. And last resort the breaker box.

Have you located the switch? In mine the gas and electric switches are side by side on the panel.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 07:39 AM   #4
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Two places guaranteed to shut off HWT. switch on the actual tank it self if available (outside as described above) and the 120 VAC circuit breaker in the power panel. Some units may also have another separate switch in the rig. My 12 gallon HWT, which is a suburban, has a pin able switch on the tank. Before I empty the HWT that switch gets turned off and pinned so nobody like me can not turn it on by mistake.
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 09:04 AM   #5
crowderd

I have turned off the switch at the tank, with that off I can control the on/off from inside when it is on propane. It is when it is on electric that the switch inside does not appear to work
Old 03-09-2015, 09:42 AM   #6
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

As stated in a previous post Have you located the switch? In mine the gas and electric switches are side by side on the panel.
Lets make sure we are on the same page here, DO you have two switches inside to control the HWT? We know from your remarks that you have at least one for the propane side. Do you have another separate switch for the electric portion of the HWT somewhere inside like next to the propane? That propane switch has no effect on the electric portion of the tank.

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 03-09-2015, 10:11 AM   #7
crowderd

I only have one switch inside for the Hot Water Tank. My only other option as I see it is to find the breader which controls the HWT and hope that is for the electric operation and not the propane also
Old 03-09-2015, 10:31 AM   #8
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowderd View Post
I only have one switch inside for the Hot Water Tank. My only other option as I see it is to find the breader which controls the HWT and hope that is for the electric operation and not the propane also
Okay now we know what we are working with. The 120 VAC circuit breakers are located in the power panel where the 12 VDC fuses are located. There is no 115 VAC breaker for the propane side. I would expect the HWT to be on its own 15 AMP circuit breaker and hopefully labeled as such.

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 03-09-2015, 10:45 AM   #9
crowderd

Unfortunatly the panel is not labelled. I will have to try several breakers to locate the correde one