Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-29-2014, 04:02 PM   #1
Colt

New to rving

Hi, just bought a 3295rk in good condition. In reading the some of the threads makes me wonder about the keystone line. My montana seems In good condition compared to the others we looked at but all the negative makes me wonder if we bought the wrong brand. It seems like looking and speaking with other rv owners that the montana was not an entry level but a intermediate level 5er. Was I wrong? We are hoping to have several years of fun pulling this around and yes I don't mind doing some work as needed. Is this a good 5th wheel or are we in for more work mataining it than having fun using it. Thanks for any feed back.
Colt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 04:20 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

You will find and read negative comments about all RV manufacturers - including Keystone. Don't be put off by the negative comments as quite often their owners are the most vocal and really don't contribute much in the way of helpful advice or constructive comments on this and other RV forums.

This survey isn't up-to-date, but not long ago we did conduct an "owner satisfaction" type survey and just over 90% of Keystone owners said that they would, if given the opportunity, buy another Keystone. While not scientific or comprehensive, it does give you an indication of the level of satisfaction amongst our forum members with their Keystone.

Personally, I've always been impressed with the Montana line. It is a step up from the Cougar which is a mid-level model and one that has given us a lot of satisfaction since we bought it new in '08.

With any RV, you need to spend time and money to maintain it. Regular maintenance and/or repair are part of RVing and with that there is a cost - just like an automobile. You can't own, maintain and pull an RV for nothing. I'm sure you'll have fun using the Montana --- it is not perfect - no RV is but I doubt if you will put more work and time into maintenance and repairs than enjoying it.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:38 PM   #3
grayghost03

What Festus2 says x2, take care of your Montana and it will take care of you. If you see a problem or issue, fix it before it gets out of hand. Read the forums and Specifically model specific forums. They will give you the head up on what to watch out for and what modifications you can do to prevent issues in the first place. Most of all, relax and enjoy your New to you Montana.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:44 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Wander over to the truck forums and you'll find the same thing about the big three.
I have found as a rule, those with problems will post much more than the ones without.

If you spend time "wondering" you won't spend any time enjoying the "wonders" of RVing.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 08:37 PM   #5
Colt

Thanks for the input guys , it is greatly appreciated. Plan on enjoying the Montana and will check the forum on it and see what I need to watch.
Colt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 05:38 AM   #6
Brantlaker

The DW and I have towed our Cougar over 25,000 miles in the last 2+years and have had minimal problems with it. We live in it over the Winter for 2 or 3 Months and do regular maintenance on it. Just use it and enjoy it. Good Luck and have Fun with it.

2012 Cougar 318SAB
2015 F350 SWD 4X4 3.55 Rear
Brantlaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 06:09 AM   #7
jsmith948

All good advice. Allow me to add something that is sometimes not considered. Your RV is not built as well as a house. The materials used in its construction are "lighter", both in weight and in size (1x2 versus 2x4). If anyone in your family is a "little rough" on things or is a "door/drawer slammer" you will soon have things that need fixing. If you read through these forums, you will see that some folks seem to have more issues than others. Makes one wonder if they are contributing to the damage? Just be careful. Treat your RV with a little TLC and have fun. JMHO-FWIW

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 06:53 AM   #8
Barbell

Our Montana has been very good to us. Pulled it around 15,000 miles the last 2 years with few problems. My only gripe with Keystone is that most dealers we have encountered are less than helpful when they find out you were not their customer. Pete's RV in Indiana and Vermont and Camping World are the exceptions.
Barbell is offline   Reply With Quote