Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-03-2013, 07:27 PM   #1
W7PSK

Possible Frame flex issue Everest 322. Anyone dealt with Lippert/Keystone?

Just found we have a possible frame flex issue. Right under the bedroom slide (left front) the bottom separating. They repaired it and when they picked up the trailer by the hitch it ripped again. They estimated 2500-3000 just to open it up and put it back together to see what is going on (25-30 hours of labor).

I thinking maybe a bad weld on the frame.

Anyone dealt with Lippert and Keystone on this and how I can maybe get it repaired without sinking my retirement
2011 F-350 SRW Long bed Crew Cab.
W7PSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:26 PM   #2
Ron

Dealing with the same issue second time around under warranty, trailer goes is Oct. 11th so we will see what there going to do next.......very frustrating when I thought we were buying the cream of the crop, but I guess not...
01 F350 7.3 PSD Crew Cab DRW 4X4 6 Speed/Chipped

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:25 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Your RV is a 2008, so I wouldn't look for too much help from Keystone or Lippert. Even though they "probably" won't look at it as a warranty issue, they may have had some problems with the frames on that model or that line and issued a service bulletin or a "lippert/Keystone" policy in which they will help with some specific frame problems.

The only way you'll know is to contact Keystone AND Lippert to identify your problem and see what they say. Who knows, you might get lucky, but on what they will now consider a 7 year old RV, I'd urge you not to get your hopes up too high.....

Good luck,

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 03:14 AM   #4
therink

On my last fifth wheel (2010 Sydney), I had what I thought was frame flex or cracked weld. It turned out to be loose anchors where the upper bedroom sidewalls attach to the side frame rails. Then dealer had to remove the underside chin covering and lower side moldings and install additional anchors/bolts to resecure the upper sidewalls to the frame. It appeared that Gilligan at Keystone did not install enough bolts. Fortunately for me this was repaired under warranty since it was less than 1 yr old. Once the new anchors were installed I did not have any further issues.
Steve

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:22 PM   #5
W7PSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by W7PSK View Post
Just found we have a possible frame flex issue. Right under the bedroom slide (left front) the bottom separating. They repaired it and when they picked up the trailer by the hitch it ripped again. They estimated 2500-3000 just to open it up and put it back together to see what is going on (25-30 hours of labor).

I thinking maybe a bad weld on the frame.

Anyone dealt with Lippert and Keystone on this and how I can maybe get it repaired without sinking my retirement

Dealer says its a weak frame area they are going to add some strengthening gussets in there. Same cost to just open and close. Bad design from what they
said, but, they also say KEYSTONE is very good at fighting that.

Ive only got maybe 12,000 miles traveled in it. Sure seems to suck to have such low mileage and have a frame issue.

So, I pay, and I never will recommend Keystone to anyone.
Old 09-13-2013, 05:15 AM   #6
W7PSK

UPDATE 2:
Dealer called and said its done. Looks like around 2500 total. We have enough to cover that ... but it taps my reserves some .

Hopefully it will be the last of it. They said they beefed up both sides pretty good so I should not have any flex issues anymore, nor frame cracks. The other good news is the Roof issue they thought I had isnt, so I dont have to fork out 1000 bucks to fix it.

Pick it up today.
Old 09-13-2013, 02:59 PM   #7
CFSUNRISE

Forget about lippert they build garbage and keystone doesn't stand behind their product warranty either. Been there/done that with my 2013 sydney which i unloaded after only 6 months. Good luck.
CFSUNRISE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 06:25 PM   #8
W7PSK

Yep My last Keystone, I really like the Montana 39ft front bedroom too. But I wont be going back if I decide to trade this in.
Old 09-15-2013, 07:42 AM   #9
wmcclay

Submit your claim and force them to deny it, keep your documentation. You never know, they might give you something. Get with your dealer, repair shop with pictures and what was required to repair it. It wont cost anything to try.

Wayne and Donna
wmcclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:23 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFSUNRISE View Post
Forget about lippert they build garbage and keystone doesn't stand behind their product warranty either. Been there/done that with my 2013 sydney which i unloaded after only 6 months. Good luck.
Lippert is the biggest independent supplier of RV chassis components. ALL the "moderately priced" manufacturers use Lippert frames and many also use Lippert axles. Keystone, at least on Springdale and Cougar lines use Dexter axles (an upgrade).

There are only a very few RV manufacturers who still build their own frames. All of them are the custom fifth wheel builders. If you buy a "normally stocked" RV from any of the major manufacturers, Thor, Forrest River, Keystone (to name a few) you will either get a Lippert chassis or not buy the RV.

Trying to avoid Lippert is like trying to avoid warm weather in south Texas. "Ain't happening"

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 12:13 PM   #11
Patrick Ely

Hitch pin/ frame flex

This is a very serious problem! We purchased these units as towables, not stationary units! If there are serious design defects it should be repaired by the manufacturer at their expense. Have any of these problems been reported to the Department of Transportation? There should be a recall issued if it poses a danger.
Patrick Ely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 04:26 AM   #12
jsmith948

Man - Oh - Man.....I can hear the Tort Lawyers stampeding as we speak. All a class action suit will do is make the lawyers rich and raise the cost of trailer frames when Lippert has to pay. JMHO

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 06:44 AM   #13
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by W7PSK View Post
Yep My last Keystone, I really like the Montana 39ft front bedroom too. But I wont be going back if I decide to trade this in.
Does this mean the EOC is no longer on solid footing? (aka; BlackAces)

Our E has always had the cracking problem. Been repaired twice. It will happen again, it's a combination structural/harmonic thing. Insuring our loads are more evenly balanced has slowed the process.

CW
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote