Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-12-2014, 09:17 AM   #1
GPG52

Question 2014 cougar 327 res

Hello fellow RV'ers.
Would anyone have any practical experience with the Cougar 327RES.
Good, Bad or Other !!!
We are expecting to take delivery by the end of the month and one option being offered is an extended warranty at a cost of $1,350.00Cnd.
I normally do not purchase extended warranties but would love to get some feedback on the Cougars integrity and performance.
GPG
GPG52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 12:54 PM   #2
DJ85

I started a social group for res 327 owner and there was a discussion started about the likes and dislikes. To get there on the header at the top click on community scoll down to social groups. Look for owners of res 327 and look around some very helpful information in there along with some friendly owner that are willing to share the good and the bad. We love our 2013 hope this helps you somewhat.

God is great, beer is good and people are crazy
Dave and Julie

2008 F-250 6.4L 4x4
2012 Cougar RES 327
2000 Jayco 264 Bunkhouse
1995 Starcraft pop-up
DJ85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 05:30 PM   #3
fred1609

There was/is a problem with the wall mounted switches for the slides and I don't know if this problem was sorted out. We bought new a 2011 327RES in the fall of 2010 and love it....Lots of room in the Living room with the slides out. What else I like is that when the slides are in and you need or want to get in the rig it is possible to get at the stove, fridge, washroom, bedroom. After looking at a bunch of models over a year when I walked into the 327RES I remarked to DW that a woman had designed the 327 and bought it 20 minutes later. For us it was the complete package and had everything we had wanted in a rig. It is put together thoughtfully and to date we haven't had any issues with construction or assembly. We did have the microwave oven and A/C replaced but everything else has been good. We also bought the warrant as well......think of it as insurance.
fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 05:19 PM   #4
blackty

The only issue we had was the gray tank wasn't supported properly and created spider cracks in the tank. Ended up leaking into underbelly. Oh, the furnace started acting up last year. Furnace had nothing to do with Keystone. Otherwise love it...Jim
Old 03-13-2014, 05:28 PM   #5
bsmith0404

how long is the extended warranty for? $1300 for an extra year or two isn't worth it to me. If you can get an extra 5-6 years out of it, I'd go with it. A refrigerator will cost you anywhere from $2-4K depending on model. I had to replace one on a 5 yr old camper. Luckily I only had the 2 door so it was only $2k. $1300 could get eaten up pretty quick with little odds and ends over a 5 yr period and save you big time on a major issue.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 07:10 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
how long is the extended warranty for? $1300 for an extra year or two isn't worth it to me. If you can get an extra 5-6 years out of it, I'd go with it. A refrigerator will cost you anywhere from $2-4K depending on model. I had to replace one on a 5 yr old camper. Luckily I only had the 2 door so it was only $2k. $1300 could get eaten up pretty quick with little odds and ends over a 5 yr period and save you big time on a major issue.
Read the find print carefully on the "extended maintenance agreement" before you buy. Most cover failure of major components but few cover any of the "little things". Actually, by the time you pay the $100 to $500 deductible, not much is covered except for "catastrophic failure". It would be great to have the policy in the event of that kind of failure, but in reality, few RV's have that kind of failure during the first 3-5 years (depending on the length of the policy).

Many think of it as an "insurance policy" not a "maintenance policy" and if you think along the lines of "company profit" if the majority of people buying them "get the full benefit of their payment" then the company would be losing money, not making money because they would be paying out more than they take in. Companies don't like losing money, so they've written most policies where the majority of the buyers won't get a return on their investment. It's more a "peace of mind" thing than it is a "wise money investment".

Just read the policy carefully so you know what isn't covered !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 07:33 AM   #7
fred1609

There's not much that goes wrong with a new rig for the first couple years, although in year two our convertor went out, which I replaced and submitted the receipt for payment on our warranty/service agreement. We are into our 3rd year of having the extended warranty and other than the things we found in the first year, not much has failed. Pretty sure I am gonna replace the brakes this year, but that's not covered. In the end what I am thinking is that maybe on a new rig folks might self finance their own warranties.....just thinking out loud.
fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 07:49 AM   #8
byrdr1

327RES is what we have and its a 2011. I did have the converter fall last year during the winter months. I replaced it with a Progressive Dynamics brand for around $125 with my labor not counted. I did the wobble on the bed slide out fix myself. I have fixed a few minor not worth dragging it 65 miles one way to have any thing fixed except the frig recall. I stopped at a CW on I-40 to have that done on a trip to the mountains. I scheduled it and told them I was on my way to the mountains camping and they had 1-2 hours to fix it before I set the time. First one there that day and was up and gone in under one hour.
So as far extended warranty, its insurance you are hoping that something big goes wrong that they will have to pay for and they are hoping nothing goes wrong and they have your money!
BUT as far as 327RES goes WE LOVE OURS!!!
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 08:29 AM   #9
inspecterbake

byrd1 fridge recall am I missing something I never received anything about the recall???
inspecterbake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 12:06 PM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by inspecterbake View Post
byrd1 fridge recall am I missing something I never received anything about the recall???
Go to the Keystone RV website: http://www.keystonerv.com/customer-s...-notifications

Click on Cougar and review all the recalls for the Cougar brand. The refrigerator recall is listed for the 2004-2007 model years. There is a recall on the Norcold refrigerator for model year 2011 Keystone brands, but they weren't used in Cougars, so most likely doesn't apply to your 327. It could be that the recall byrd1 mentioned was the Atwood stove recall? There are a number of other recalls that MAY or MAY NOT affect your year model. An occasional review of that site will keep you up to date on any recalls. As evidenced by your not knowing about the refrigerator recall, the notification process doesn't always work to keep owners "in the loop".

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 02:21 PM   #11
Festus2
Site Team

Keep the $1350, set it aside in a separate "RV bank account" and use it if and when you do have any repairs. The appliances and A/C often have a manufacturer's 2 year warranty and Keystone has its own 1 year limited warranty.

We've been pleased with our Cougar - a different model but we've had it since '08 and it has been pretty much trouble-free. The only "major" item was related to the front landing jacks which we ended up replacing just last year. Other than that - we're happy and would consider buying another Cougar in the future.
Old 03-15-2014, 08:50 PM   #12
mobile42

Never purchase an extended warranty. Only 3 issues so far have occured. My unit came with the factory Towmax STR / PowerKing Tires and I sustained severe damage September 2012 from a single tire blowout that caused the whole left fender blown off and the metal skirting immediately located in front of the tire well and the exterior underlayment material was all disintegrated. I replaced my tires with Maxxis Tires. I did pop the landing gear fuse and that was an easy fix. I also had to replace a bad converter that was still covered by the WFCO's 2 year warranty. My Keystone waranty had already expired.
4000 Watt Champion Generator

2007 Keystone Sprinter 264BHS TT
2005 Flagstaff Forest River TT
mobile42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 03:26 AM   #13
byrdr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Go to the Keystone RV website: http://www.keystonerv.com/customer-s...-notifications
The refrigerator recall is listed for the 2004-2007 model years. There is a recall on the Norcold refrigerator for model year 2011 Keystone brands, but they weren't used in Cougars, so most likely doesn't apply to your 327. It could be that the recall byrd1 mentioned was the Atwood stove recall?
You are right John, Frig was TT.. Stove was 5er..
They all start to run together..
Randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 10:55 AM   #14
Mosnowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPG52 View Post
Hello fellow RV'ers.
Would anyone have any practical experience with the Cougar 327RES.
Good, Bad or Other !!!
We are expecting to take delivery by the end of the month and one option being offered is an extended warranty at a cost of $1,350.00Cnd.
I normally do not purchase extended warranties but would love to get some feedback on the Cougars integrity and performance.
GPG
Congrats!!! We purchased a 2014 327RES at the end of November! It has been tough waiting for camping season here in Missouri. Our maiden voyage is planned at the end of March. In the meantime it has spent most of the time in storage but have left it on the driveway a week or two to familiarize myself to it. At this point all I can say is we absolutely love it! I was planning on buying a different model but same experience as you...walked in and love at first sight! I bought it the next week! Only drawback I can see thus far is the awning is extremely small and won't help you much if you are parked facing into that afternoon west sun. I bought shade cloth to attach to the end of the awning to help with that issue. The fiver is a beauty...enjoy!!!

PS: we bought the extended warranty

2018 Ford F350 Diesel Lariat Crew Cab
B & W Companion Hitch
Mosnowman is offline   Reply With Quote