Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-06-2014, 06:53 AM   #1
dkperez

Cable slideout slow/not moving, sagging

Keystone Cougar 246RL. Almost a year old. By the time I get home it'll be out of warranty.

Our dining slide, with the trailer plugged in OR on battery, won't extend from the wall switch. It moves VERY slowly (and I mean GLACIALLY SLOWLY), or stops, but will extend if pushed while the switch is held... BUT, if instead of using the wall switch, I use the remote, it extends fine - slower than the bed slide, but it extends. Based on this, I believe the battery is fine, the plug-in power is fine, and so on... I talked to (Cougar, Forest River, Keystone) and was told the switch is bad. The dealer doesn't think the switch is bad...

It's been into the dealer twice, and they don't appear to have a lot of experience with the cable slide - last time, the guy was reading my owner's manual on the cable slide while he was "adjusting" things so it would move better. Adjusting went on for a couple hours, several conversations with other service people (not exaggerating), and didn't improve things.

At this point, the slide sags (it doesn't appear to sit level with the rv), cables are loose - the top cables on both sides are visible loose and slack when extended (and if I recall correctly, cables are also loose when the slide is in), and it still won't extend from the wall switch... When fully extended, the bottom of the sides of the slide are 1/2 - 3/4 inch or so away from the side wall while the top is against the wall. So, the sag isn't huge, but it's enough to feel downhill when sitting in the slide...

I haven't immersed myself in the process yet, but I have read the accu-slide manual. Having watched the service person work, I figure I can do the cable adjustments without a lot of difficulty.

BUT, and here's the reason I put y'all through all this boring recitation... Is this slide totally supported by the cables? As in, there's nothing under it that holds it level with the rest of the RV? If so, I presume properly adjusting the cables WILL level it. If NOT, is there some support device under the thing that may be part of the problem?

In either case, does anyone have a recommendation for additional information on adjusting this thing (beyond the small, paper slide manual that came with the trailer)? I"ve rummaged Google but didn't find anything additional, so any information on adjustment process, order, leveling, and so on would be helpful.
dkperez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 07:05 AM   #2
B&T

assuming you have a bal accuslide

http://www.norcoind.com/bal/download...ice-manual.pdf

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10383
2003 R-Vision Traillite
B&T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:51 PM   #3
Pmedic4

Slide mal-functioning

Sounds like you have 2 separate issues - one the slide doesn't sit level with sagging cables. Ours, the cables aren't tight, but not loose and sagging. The the other issue is the slow extension of the slideout using the switch.

Is the retraction slow also?
No grinding or screeching on the slide either?
It is a double pole switch, so the extension side of the switch could be bad. Might be easy check if you can switch the wires? Of course, a switch probably isn't all that expensive, might just be worth buying a switch and trying it.

However, I would tend to think it's something on the slide mechanism. The slideout sits on rollers, probably 3 or 4 depending upon the length of your slide and one of those could be broken, so it just drags, and also why it is uneven. Those aren't easy to get to, so it might be a pain, and why the dealer didn't look at them, and that would also explain why the cables are loose - unless the guy just adjusting them screwed them up. Also, the cables on retraction might pull it away from the rollers, so that could be why it doesn't hang on retraction. Of course, granted, this doesn't explain why the remote operation of the slide seems to work fine, while the switch is slow.

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 06:29 PM   #4
OldCountryBoy

Do not have a problem with the rate of movement of my slides, but like you, my dining room slide seems to sag a bit. The bottom metal connectors where the cable ends attaches on the out cables, seem to be mounted at an slight angle not perpendicular to the wall. To compensate the cables were tightened to the point there is no adjustment left. I removed the cables from the adjusting nuts, added several washers, about an inch worth, then retightened the cables. Better, but still a slight sag.

Not sure what to do next. Most people are against using jacks.

Anyone know how to check the rollers talked about in the previous post? My kitchen slide squeeks a lot going out.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:57 PM   #5
dkperez

Sorry to be so long getting back... On the road....

I have both the documents in the first reply, as well as a different one that also has a little info, but nothing spectacular... I'm starting to get the feeling that there's no major information because this system just isn't that complicated, and a bit of time and common sense may enable me to adjust as needed.........

As for the sagging... On mine, the top of the slide wall is against the trail wall. The bottom of the slide wall is about 3/4" away from the trailer wall. So, it's not a BIG sag, just enough for me to notice when I'm sitting in a rolling chair, working at the laptop.

As to whether the slide is slow coming in - yes. NOT as slow as going out, but still very slow. AGAIN, though, this is ONLY with the wall switch. With the remote, it's not speedy, but it goes in and out MUCH faster than from the wall switch. One of these days I'll pull the wall switch and jump the wires directly and verify that it IS OR ISN'T the switch...

As for loose cables... From reading the manual I have, the cables should be "taut" at all times, not sagging since that MAY enable them to come off the cable guides. So, I suspect at some point I'll spend some time getting things adjusted (hopefully better!).

My dining slide DOES make noise, especially when coming IN, but that was when I was putting it in and out when very cold. I'm in Zion, and it hasn't been cold in the last week (yippee), but once out, I've left it alone... I routinely spray the rubber seals (although not before I left, since it was -17 and unpleasant). Is there some kind of lubricant that should be used on the bottom of the unit? I'm presuming there are rollers or SOMETHING all this rides on... Is there other lubrication somewhere I need to consider? Cables? Guides? Anything else?

I'm trying to decide if I should mess with it until I get home! I have this vision of getting something wrong, and getting the slide stuck out while in a campground in east overshoe utah or some place... Once I'm home I can part the thing in the middle of the drive and fiddle with it for days if necessary.
dkperez is offline   Reply With Quote