Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-29-2014, 05:02 AM   #1
neesey62

Progressive vs. State Farm

Does Progressive offer better coverage and claim service for RVs than State Farm? Seems like more people are with Progressive for their campers.
neesey62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 05:14 AM   #2
tileman

We have been with state farm for over 25yr and had to go with Progressive
Cause state farm was a ton more for less coverage.

But out of the 25yr I have not did a claim with state farm.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:04 AM   #3
theasphaltrv'er

We use to be with USAA until they got way to expensive. Been with Progressive now for the past 5 years. Each Dec I get quotes from 4 or 5 different companies for our 2 vehicles, RV & home. Progressive overall has been much cheaper and we've only had one claim on the home policy (Progressive) & it was handled fast & to our complete satisfaction. Plus every year Progressive reevaluates all our info (credit scores, if any loans, on time payments, etc) to give the best possible rate.
theasphaltrv'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:09 AM   #4
neesey62

We had a window that was factory caulked wrong so it leaked and made a soft spot in our KZSpree's floor. State Farm refused to pay fir repairs. Would this gave been covered by Progressive, I wonder?
neesey62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:36 AM   #5
BirchyBoy

Insurance coverage is most always pretty subjective. I've had Progressive in the past and was booted after a single claim. We've had State Farm for years and the price is very competitive when compared to other reputable carriers.

The best advice I can give is to look at companies like Consumer Reports or similar that will give ratings based on a large population of policy holders and then go from there.
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:50 AM   #6
cabinfever

We use Foremost RV Insurance. The total coverage provided for the cost of the policy seemed like a very good deal compared to others and the coverage they provided for the premium cost. Their policy offered more than others I looked at. Especially for total loss. From year 1-5 total replacement....year 6-10 they give up to total amount originally paid towards replacement. They also have a decreasing deductible so over a period of years of no claims it goes to zero, the first year is a 25% deductible decrease. This is our second year with them and the premium did go up 14.5 %. Even with that increase the policy is still a good deal compared to others. According to Foremost the increase was due to an increase in claims in PA. We will see what year 3 brings.

2007 Silverado 2500HD 4X4
2013 Springdale 303BHSSR
cabinfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 11:27 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by neesey62 View Post
We had a window that was factory caulked wrong so it leaked and made a soft spot in our KZSpree's floor. State Farm refused to pay fir repairs. Would this gave been covered by Progressive, I wonder?
Probably it would not have been covered. That is a "maintenance failure" not an "accidental failure" or "weather related (storm/hail/wind) damage"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchyBoy View Post
Insurance coverage is most always pretty subjective. I've had Progressive in the past and was booted after a single claim. We've had State Farm for years and the price is very competitive when compared to other reputable carriers.

The best advice I can give is to look at companies like Consumer Reports or similar that will give ratings based on a large population of policy holders and then go from there.
We had/have Progressive on the fifth wheel. When our Springdale was damaged by that tree falling on it, Progressive did their inspection the day after I delivered it to the dealer (that's also the day after I notified them) and approved the repairs that day. Parts were ordered, the claims adjuster contacted me weekly with a progress report and inspected/approved the repair and called me that the dealer would be contacting me to come inspect/pick up my trailer. From the first contact with Progressive, they kept me in the loop, explained everything and "generally took care of me". When we bought the Cougar (double the value of the Springdale) the insurance went up about $30 a year for the same coverage. There was no "apparent" increase in premiums that I could detect based on the claim.

Each state has different insurance regulations, so what happened with my experience in Michigan may not be the same as it would be in any other state.

Overall, Progressive was (is) about half the price of State Farm and is cheaper than some of the "no-name" companies sold by independent insurance brokers around this area.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 02:20 PM   #8
riceman

Has anyone tried Good Sam Insurance...and have you had to make a claim?
riceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 02:52 PM   #9
BulletOwner1

For me it all came down to if we were full timing or not. State Farm didn't have a "full time" policy. Don't know if it is still true or not but we did better with an independent company. Don't remember who. It is important to differentiate full timing or not.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:55 PM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by riceman View Post
Years ago Good Sam Insurance was underwritten by Foremost Insurance Company. I don't know if they still are or not. "Back When" it was good insurance. I haven't heard anyone "bitterly complaining" so I'd have to think it's a quality, cost competitive policy.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 04:42 PM   #11
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by riceman View Post
Tried.... no

Gotten a quote.... Yes

It was better than my current insurance and I will go with the Good Sam on my next renewal unless I see something to make me do otherwise.
Old 01-29-2014, 04:49 PM   #12
SAD
Permanent User Ban

First and foremost, insurers place their rates where they want them based upon what they want to insure for customers.

I have had State Farm for ever and have VERY reasonable rates for home/auto..

Got SF to quote for my jet skis. Seemed high. I called an agent who sold progressive. Was 1/2 the price of SF. Went with Progressive.

On RV... State Farm seemed kinda high. Called progressive. State Farm was actually a bit better.

SHRUG.
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 04:58 PM   #13
Wally15

I've been with USAA for 40+ years. Best insurance co. there is. And one of the cheapest when you factor in the generous annual rebates. However, they no longer insure boats or RV's. Funnel these items to Progressive. I refuse to do business with Progressive for personal reasons. I got a few other quotes and Good Sam was "the cheapest with the mostest", stand alone policy, even paying the $22 membership fee. SF was the highest, but they had a good policy as well. Sometimes it boils down to how many years you've been with a company and your claim record. Or how many policies you're willing to bundle together. Good Sam uses National General Insurance (NOT the cartoon character in the TV ad wearing a steel pot). Just completed my application and started coverage yesterday.
2013 Laredo 308RE TT
'06 Ram 2500 CTD AT
S GA

Wally15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:02 PM   #14
Nick & Gia's Trailer

Progressive

I have only had progressive as I found them cheaper then other insurance companies. Two years ago I had a tree branch go through the roof of my RV. Called progressive, took photos, emailed photos, and was directed by progressive to bring to local RV dealer (Camping World) for repair. Insurance agent inspected RV and authorized repair. No muss no fuss. Longest period of time with Progressive was the 10 day wait until the check hit my mail box. Still have them for my new 5er. That's my story. Well pleased with them..
Reese 16k slider 5th wheel hitch
Nick & Gia's Trailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:21 PM   #15
fla-gypsy

I use State Farm for home, 3 autos, and RV and price for TT was very low. When lightning struck my TT they were very easy to work with on repairs and paid for everything.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:14 PM   #16
theeyres

I got rear-ended awhile back and the rear ender had Progressive. the adjuster contacted me the next day, I wanted to take it to the Chevy dealer to get it fixed. He told me to take it there and he would take care of the rest. I never saw a bill, a statement, never had a question. The truck was fixed and everything settled between the dealer and Progressive. That was great service.

I recently dropped State Farm because the cost was close to 50% more than many other quotes. Progressive was low for the vehicles but I wanted to include our house and rental. Progressive links with Liberty Mutual for property, but the linked cost was high. Liberty Mutual did the whole thing for the lowest price so I went with them after 20 years with State Farm. Total savings for vehicles and homes was close to $800 a year. That's a lot of $$.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote