Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2012, 09:18 PM   #1
Tikitim

Unhappy No Propane

On our last trip of the season I was awaken at 5 am by the coldness in the trailer and the furnace trying to light, I got up (and oh was it cold) and reset the furnace, again it tried to start but it was a no go. This told me no propane but I new the other tank was full as we had not used it yet. I got dressed and went outside to check things out ( and oh was it even colder outside ) and sure enough tank is full, valve is open. I flipped changeover switch but no luck, so I proceeded to change tank places, this did the trick, heat now coming from registers, so I went back to bed. Next day I checked things out by returning propane tanks to their original spot and disonnecting main propane at the dual regulator comming from right side, opened valve on tank and nothing comming out of line. There is a red regulator (I think it's a regulator) on right side, and the changeover on the left side. I have not seen this type of setup before as I come from a TT. Does any one have any suggestions?

Thanks
Tikitim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:58 AM   #2
cjensen91910

The red regulator may be a 30# regulator that steps the pressure down to 30# and sends it to the other side where the regulator on the flip-flop reduces it to low pressure and sends it into the coach. Might have a bad regulator or a bad connector at the tank. There is a check valve in the connector to tank that goes wonky at times.
cjensen91910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:22 AM   #3
jsmith948

The automatic switch-over feature of our propane system will not work correctly if a very specific sequence is not used when attaching the propane bottles. If you do a forum search, you will find several threads on this very issue. Has to do with a valve that senses a sudden, high volume of propane flow (as when you turn the gas on too fast). The valve thinks this is a leak in the system and closes. I won't attempt to walk you through the sequence because I have trouble with mine some of the time. Some one more expert will probably jump on here or you can do a search

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:20 AM   #4
hankaye

Howdy All;

The red regulator is a 30psi to 10 psi regulator.
I just replaced mine a month ago.
I might suggest that you look at swapping the pigtails
that connect the tanks to the various regulators.
Open the tank valves slowly everytime, so the auto leak
shut-off dosen't kick in .....

Posted by JimW eariler;

"Split-Bottle Systems – (Primarily on Fifth-Wheels)
Some Keystone fifth wheels use a split-bottle system where there is one propane bottle located on each side of the unit. There are some instances where this system may inadvertently activate the “excess flow device” located in the propane pigtail.
The “excess flow device” is a safety feature that is designed to detect a large leak in the propane system such as a broken gas line and reduce the flow of propane from the bottle. It also activates when the propane bottle service valve is turned on and the propane system is not completely closed such as when the range burner is left on. The device is not designed to completely stop the flow of propane, but to reduce it to approximately 20,000 BTUs/hr.
When activated, one appliance at a time may operate normally; however, when a large demand is placed on the system such as turning on several appliances or the furnace, they will not receive sufficient propane pressure to operate properly. Follow the procedure below to avoid inadvertently activating the “excess flow device” and to operate the split bottle propane system.
Follow this procedure for the following conditions: After refilling either or both bottles; After any part of the propane system has been disconnected; Appliance burners are not operating correctly; Low operating pressure exists downstream from the regulator when operating heavy demand appliances such as the furnace.
1. Verify both propane bottles contain sufficient propane. Refill if necessary.
2. Close both propane bottle service valves.
3.Attach the propane pigtails to the service valve.
4. Close manually operated gas valves on the range or water heater.
5. Turn the indicator on the regulator to the bottle closest to it.
6. Slowly open the service valve on the bottle closest to the regulator. This is typically the bottle on the entry door side. Open the valve all the way.
7. Slowly open the service valve on the bottle that is furthest from the regulator until you can hear gas start to flow through. Do not open the valve all the way. Wait 1 minute.
8. Re-close the service valve and then slowly re-open it all the way. The system is now ready to operate.
This happen to me earlier this year and I followed these instructions and have had no issues since.
Jim W."

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:37 AM   #5
Quiroule

I had the same problem. Changed the pig-tail and it works fine now.

2018 Ford F150 XLT

Your children and grand-children will not remember what you did for them, they will remember what you did WITH THEM.
Quiroule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:11 PM   #6
dakingsella

I'm having the same problem, I printed out the procedure outlined above and heading for my RV to do some trouble-shooting. Thanks for the tips!
Old 10-10-2012, 02:12 AM   #7
jbsmith

Sounds like you tripped the excess flow valve (EFV) that's installed inside the propane bottles. The key here is to turn the valves on S-L-O-W-L-Y!!!! Follow the procedure and it should work. It took me a few tries to get my system to unlock. I'm convinced it was the final barrage of expletives that ultimately got it going again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

2012 Keystone Cougar 331MKS
2018 RAM 3500 Laramie 6.7L DRW
B&W Companion
jbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:01 PM   #8
Tikitim

I've tried all the above 4 times to no avail, even changed tanks around and still no action with right side with either tank (both full). Could something be wrong with red regulator? Also, who makes the red regulator
Old 10-11-2012, 01:18 AM   #9
66ken

I had the same problem on mine. I found the automatic switch over valve was bad. I purchased a new one on Ebay, it is a easy installation. I don't think the red pressure regulator would be bad.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:29 AM   #10
hankaye

Tikitim, Howdy;

The red regulator is made by Marshall,
same folks that make the 2 stage auto
regulator. This is what and where I purchased it;

http://www.rvlifestyles.net/p-221262...iliateid=10704

I was lucky and it's only a 40 minute drive from where I was living when I
needed to replace it.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:09 AM   #11
Tikitim

Hi All,

Problem solved, changed pigtail (bad check valve) and everything is all well.It's funny though, the right side tank was never used so pigtail must have been bad from the start. I think I will try to get some kind of warranty claim from dealer next time I'm there.

for all the help.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:50 PM   #12
dakingsella

I finally got mine working, I think it was the excess flow valve in the tank. I actually set the selector to the right tank, turned on the water heater and made sure it was working, then slowly opened the left tank valve and changed the flow selector to the left tank. The water heater stayed on
Old 11-02-2012, 06:10 PM   #13
MadMax

Propane Switch Over

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankaye View Post
Howdy All;

The red regulator is a 30psi to 10 psi regulator.
I just replaced mine a month ago.
I might suggest that you look at swapping the pigtails
that connect the tanks to the various regulators.
Open the tank valves slowly everytime, so the auto leak
shut-off dosen't kick in .....

Posted by JimW eariler;

"Split-Bottle Systems – (Primarily on Fifth-Wheels)
Some Keystone fifth wheels use a split-bottle system where there is one propane bottle located on each side of the unit. There are some instances where this system may inadvertently activate the “excess flow device” located in the propane pigtail.
The “excess flow device” is a safety feature that is designed to detect a large leak in the propane system such as a broken gas line and reduce the flow of propane from the bottle. It also activates when the propane bottle service valve is turned on and the propane system is not completely closed such as when the range burner is left on. The device is not designed to completely stop the flow of propane, but to reduce it to approximately 20,000 BTUs/hr.
When activated, one appliance at a time may operate normally; however, when a large demand is placed on the system such as turning on several appliances or the furnace, they will not receive sufficient propane pressure to operate properly. Follow the procedure below to avoid inadvertently activating the “excess flow device” and to operate the split bottle propane system.
Follow this procedure for the following conditions: After refilling either or both bottles; After any part of the propane system has been disconnected; Appliance burners are not operating correctly; Low operating pressure exists downstream from the regulator when operating heavy demand appliances such as the furnace.
1. Verify both propane bottles contain sufficient propane. Refill if necessary.
2. Close both propane bottle service valves.
3.Attach the propane pigtails to the service valve.
4. Close manually operated gas valves on the range or water heater.
5. Turn the indicator on the regulator to the bottle closest to it.
6. Slowly open the service valve on the bottle closest to the regulator. This is typically the bottle on the entry door side. Open the valve all the way.
7. Slowly open the service valve on the bottle that is furthest from the regulator until you can hear gas start to flow through. Do not open the valve all the way. Wait 1 minute.
8. Re-close the service valve and then slowly re-open it all the way. The system is now ready to operate.
This happen to me earlier this year and I followed these instructions and have had no issues since.
Jim W."

hankaye
Hankaye,
I have tried this and it has worked the last two times. When I notice the green indicator on top of the 'Switch-Over' lever becomes red - telling me that the tank has gone empty and the other tank is now supplying the propane...I need to physically bring the 'street-side' tank over to 'curb-side' and carry out the procedure as you outlined. I need to ensure that the curb-side tank is always the "active" one to start with. Then I must monitor the green/red indicator on a regular basis.
I haven't had any luck using the 'street-side' tank as the active one (by switching the lever over to that tank. Is it supposed to work that way also?
Hmmm, was that confusing or is it just me???
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:45 PM   #14
dakingsella

I think the switch over is supposed to occur automatically, is that a correct assumption on my part?

I'm beginning to think that is not occurring on my rig is that is supposed to be what happens.
Old 12-24-2013, 09:30 PM   #15
Chinomax

As explained to me by my propane filler guy, the excessive flow check-valve is in the pigtail with the green screw-on knob. It is NOT in the tank. The tank has a over-fill shut-off float valve. I replaced my pigtails with a style that screws INTO the tank valve. NOT over the tank valve. These are a straight through design just like we all had before the Goverment mandated we are not smart enough to use our propane powered devices safely! Chino
Chinomax is offline   Reply With Quote