Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 11-26-2013, 07:18 PM   #1
stlucia

Electrical Question

It has been several weeks since we have took out our 5th wheel. Though, it stays pluged in, in between camping trips. I get it to our park, plug it in and this is what I have. All the electrical wall outlets have no power going to them, so that means no microwave, no TV, no satellite...nothing that is pluged in. Yet, my fridge, ceiling lights, awning, slide outs, water heater all are working fine. To complicated the matter, the TV in the bedroom, that is plugged in to a wall 12 volt works. Any clue?

I checked all the fuses and they are good.
stlucia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:32 PM   #2
theeyres

Everything that works is running off 12 volts. Do they run for an extended time (several days) indicating the converter is charging from shore power? Can you check to see if the shore power is getting to the converter?If all the circuit breakers are OK my guess is your shore power circuit is experiencing a break somewhere. Easiest way, if you have a volt meter would be to start checking voltage from where you plug in all the way to the converter. You say you keep it plugged in between trips. Does the 120v stuff work then? If they work there but not where you are camped it is clearly in the line or the cg system.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:37 PM   #3
kimanderson98642

Check the breakers on the shore power Post that you are plugged into. Most times they are off when you arrive. Just a thought.
Home Base Ridgefield, Washington
2011 Keystone Cougar 292rks
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins
kimanderson98642 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 11:03 PM   #4
outwest

and if shore power looks like it's on, it might still have the breaker tripped. I've encountered pedestal breakers that still appear to be in on position when tripped.

If your power inlet has a light to indicate shore power is working (on ours it's a little blue led light on the shore power inlet cover) and if that light is off, check that the cord is seated properly and check your pedestal breaker. If pedestal breaker looks like it's on, firmly push to off position and then back to on position.

2012 Keystone Vantage 32FLS
outwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 03:36 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Don't forget to check the GFI to make sure it's not tripped. There may be two or more GFI outlets controlling the wall outlets. If you have a "surge protector" installed as a part of an energy management system for your generator/shore power, it may also have a tripped breaker.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 03:23 PM   #6
Bob Landry

None of the things mentioned are on a GFCI. I'm guessing that the water heater is on propane which would use the 12V for ignition. It sounds like all of the 12v stuff is running on the battery, because with the shore power connected, the converter powers everything 12V and the battery is not used at all. I'm surprised at the number of people who think the battery is in use when plugged into shore power. Maybe on the very old converters but not on the newer ones. In that same category of amazing things are the RV owners who still don't know what runs off 12V and what runs off shore power. That is need to know information, especially if you are going to start a thread asking for electrical help. Not meaning to be condescending here, but if yo are going to get help, everyone has to be on the same page and using the same terminology.

It sounds like a 115V input problem from the pedestal. or the main breaker on the converter is tripped. Reset it. You will have to turn it to the off position and then back on or it will not reset

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 05:49 PM   #7
stlucia

Thanks to all!

It ended up being the power converter. Big time bummer because as a family with the wife and I still working and the two boys in school, we all looked forward to stepping outta the rat race for a few days. Oh well, its in the shop getting fixed, maybe next time.

Thanks again.
stlucia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 07:22 AM   #8
jsmith948

Now I am a bit confused. If the power converter is bad, then wouldn't all of your 110VAC circuits still work? Other than powering the converter, there is no connection between the two systems.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 09:32 AM   #9
B&T

Yes, it appears the outcome certainly did not match the symptoms at all.
2003 R-Vision Traillite
B&T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 08:03 PM   #10
theeyres

Maybe something to do with the shore power coming into the converter box and rather than repairing it, is just replacing the whole thing. It doesn't really make sense...

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote