Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-28-2009, 10:17 AM   #1
dolapd36

Water Pump location on Cougar 26BHS

Hoping someone could help me out. I am trying to locate the water pump to prepare to winterize. I have checked all panels that I can locate and no water pump. I checked under the entertainment center between the bedroom and living area and it just has water pipes that go into the floor from the fill panel on the outside. The panel under the cabinet has the hot water heater. I dont see any other panels to access, but it sounds like its under the kitchen sink/counter area. Any ideas?? Cougar Xlite 26BHS.
dolapd36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 11:40 AM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

There must be removeable panel near the sink/counter area. In my Cougar, the water pump is behind a removeable panel (which has a CO2 detector mounted on it) on the right-hand side of the sink. The pump is normally located in close proximity to your kitchen sink. If there other members out there who have a similar model, perhaps they can chime in and tell you exactly where to look.
Old 08-28-2009, 01:40 PM   #3
hankpage
Site Team

I just looked at your floor plan and the only place I can see room is under the bottom bunk or the bathroom sink if your fill is in the rear next to the slide. You have a 41 gallon fresh water tank and the pump will be close to that. All I can say is leave a faucet running and follow the sound.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 03:06 PM   #4
Flyguy

Ditto on this end Hank.
Timbrens
Flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 09:14 AM   #5
dolapd36

Thanks for the posts. The fill is actually in the front of the slide in between the wall for the bedroom and living area. Removing that panel only has water lines from fill then goes into the floor. Under the bunk bed is the external storrage area.

I do agree with the sound technique, but when I do so, it sounds like its under the sink/oven area but I have opened every cabinet, and panel that has screws and no pump. Just trying to see if anyone else had this model where they put it on the outside under the TT.

2009 Ford F150 SCREW, 5.4L, and Air bag suspension
2008 Keyston Cougar Xlite 26BHS
Old 09-02-2009, 10:52 AM   #6
dolapd36

Ok, good news and bad. I finally found it with a mirror while angling it in the under sink cabinet area. Its installed under the oven. There are definetly no access panels to get at it from the inside. I do notice that the outdoor grill is directly next to it, and when opened lights up the pump. My assumption is that they have to pull the outdoor grill out in order to service the pump. I was hoping to get at the pump easily to help winterize, but starting to think the dealer will have to install a converter line someone I can get at it?? Thoughts on dealers installing converter for pump to do winterizing?

Old 09-02-2009, 11:32 AM   #7
Festus2
Site Team

Are you able to reach it at all? If you can get your arm and hand in there and reach the pump, you might be able to remove the intake hose, and snap on a hose from your RV antifreeze container. On my pump, the intake and outlet hoses sort of snap in and then locked in. The hoses are very easy to take off and put back on again. I winterize mine this way but some people pour RV antifreeze into their main water tank, turn on the pump and let the antifreeze flow into your plumbing system this way. Whatever method you use, don't forget to drain and isolate the the Hot Water tank or else you will end up filling the HW tank with your antifreeze. You dont need to "winterize" your HW tank by filling it up with antifreeze.
Seems strange that there isn't some kind of reasonable and easy access to your pump. I am wondering if it would be too much trouble to re-locate the pump to a more accessible location?
Old 09-02-2009, 11:52 AM   #8
dolapd36

Festus2 you make some great points.......I really am not sure why they placed it where they did since every other system, like the furnace, hot water heater, external fill lines are all accessed via panels. Why they chose to install the pump on the floor under the oven area is beyond me. There is definetly no way to reach it unless I break the flimsy panels that are acting like walls for the cabinet storage area under the sink.

I am surprised nobody else with an xlight has had this issue. Maybe it was relocated to this position by the dealer?

As far as winterization, I have removed the panel that accesses the back of the water heater and it has a bypass value so I will be good for that. My next step was going to be for a water pump converter kit to have a line always sitting there to pull the antifreeze, but we will see.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:04 PM   #9
Festus2
Site Team

Would you consider cutting out a section of one of those panels you referred to allowing you access to the pump that way? If the panel is in view then you would have to be a bit more creative and apply your carpentry skills to make it look like it was meant to be there! If the panel is hidden and if, by cutting out a portion of it, you wouldn't comprimise the structure or integrity of the cabinet, that might be something to look at. Not having some kind of access to your pump without having to take your RV apart is a nuisance, to say the least. Let us know how all of this turns out.
Old 09-03-2009, 01:40 PM   #10
hankpage
Site Team

dolapd36 , The panel under the oven should only be held in with a few staples. If you caaaarefully remove it you can trim it down and make it removable from the living area. That is how the pump is accessed under the fridge on my Cougar. A block of wood against the edges of the panel and some gentle persuasion with a hammer should do the deed. Add a winterizing valve to the pump and you can winterize in ten minutes with one gallon of antifreeze. Let us know how you make out, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 06:13 AM   #11
dolapd36

Hank,

Thanks for the great idea. Not sure why I didnt think of that before, or why Keystone didnt make the panel under the stove removable like all the other panels. (would be interesting if it should be and mine was just overlooked).

Anyway, I removed the panel as suggested, cut it down to size and mounted it just like all the other removable panels, with two screws. Now I can get at my pump!!!! Its a flojet with quick connect ports, so I ordered a replacement quick fitting, and attached clear tubing. So now when I winterize I release the quick connect from the fresh tank, put the winterized fitting in and fill from the bottle.

Definetly the best results, just took some time getting there. Really appreaciate the help!!