Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 04-24-2018, 08:50 AM   #1
jcyamaharider

Satellite in Camper Montana HC 362RD

Probably been covered 100 times but doing a search didn't bring up anything current. So specifics on what I am using, Directv with the Swim eye. No problems getting the dish pointed and to download when hooked straight up to the box and then to tv. The problem comes in when I try to go in thru the utility room and hook up to one of the 2 satellite ports. neither one will let me download the guide when connected thru the coax ports. What I did do to get around it is turn off the antenna booster and use the cable connections thru the camper and mounted the box in the belly storage. I have the same channel on all 4 tv's. Not a huge inconvenience but I want the Satellite ports to work the way they should. Maybe some of you more experienced Montana owners know of a trick that you did or some common wiring mistakes from the factory?

Thanks in Advance!!!
jcyamaharider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 12:24 PM   #2
jcyamaharider

I might have answered my own question but i will post here in case someone ventures upon this later on. Doing some more searches here and on the internet the factory coax wiring is junk so I cam going to go home and look at that closer. Also with the swim system it takes special splitters in line or it will not let the appropriate signal thru. I am going to order some swim approved splitters once I find them in the camper and replace as necessary. I will report back with what I find.
Old 04-24-2018, 02:51 PM   #3
jcyamaharider

Came home and pulled out the wall plates and found these??? I wasnt expecting to see a diplexer behind there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180424_170727.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	143.0 KB
ID:	16162  
Old 04-25-2018, 05:24 AM   #4
jcyamaharider

Doing some more digging, this is an on going issue that I found over at Montana owners forum. What most have done to fix the issue is run a separate line. I am not going to do this. I will figure out another way, it is just my nature. I think I have made a discovery though, my satellite did work once I switched to the cable side of the diplexer with the current way that I have it hooked up. Looking at pictures I think they have it installed wrong on the plate. I will confirm tonight. I am going to move the box inside the camper to see if I can get a signal tonight after work.

Seems like this thread is a head rambling memo for myself.
Old 04-25-2018, 05:32 AM   #5
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

What you're doing will help someone else. So ramble away.

I think we're all just staying out of the way to not interrupt your work. Looks like you're making good progress.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 05:09 AM   #6
jcyamaharider

Yesterdays progress after work:

Went to the camper put out the bedroom slide and forgot to shut the control cabinet door, went to walk up the step and BAM! Yep the thickness of the cabinet door on top of my head split wide open. Good times, I highly recommend it!

Anyways, after I get myself to stop bleeding I man up and finish my project. Set up the dish and and try to put the receiver in the room. Still no dice. I did confirm that the diplexer is in the plate the correct way. Next step is I think I am going to purchase a swm 4 way splitter and run it exactly the same way as my house when we have to move. I will not be using antenna and if I do I can change it underneath real quick. If I come up with an other ideas I will be sure to make notes here for anyone in the future.

If someone wanted to try it I did see that a SWM 8 has place for cable and antenna input. The SWM 8 has a built in diplexer, this would mean that you would have to remove the diplexer at the wall plates for each TV. If I have time I will purchase one and see if it works.
Old 04-26-2018, 05:57 AM   #7
ChuckS

If you are handy with a multi meter and have an extra hank of 50 feet of coax you could connect coax outside at service center and bring inside and then test center to center and shield to shield for continuity...

This way you could figure out where signal is being lost... also.. a satellite signal will most likely not work thru a standard splitter. Too much signal loss...

If not handy with meter then HDepot sells a coax outlet connection tester that comes with a set of caps and makes the task at hand easier.

Good luck with you venture

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
montana, satellite