Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2018, 04:32 AM   #1
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Food For Thought

Yep, there are those out there who dont know, dont know they don't know, or simply don't care.

We have a responsibility to help others know what is necessary for safe towing and to be aware that we may be surrounded by those with unsafe setups. Be aware out there.

https://www.insideedition.com/headli...-hitch-them-to

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 04:47 AM   #2
TLB

I want to think that we all double check our hitch setup before we pull away.
I even tell my wife that I wont get mad if she asks me if every thing is properly connected before we leave.

Too many times i see a tow vehicle that I think is too small for the trailer.

2014 Passport Elite 31RE

2017 2500HD Crew Cab
TLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 05:13 AM   #3
notanlines

I ask DW every time we leave if she did a once around inside before the slides come in. She asks her DH every time we leave if I did a once around the rig before we leave. We don't have to ask about the antenna anymore.....no more $120 repairs there.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 05:27 AM   #4
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
Yep, there are those out there who dont know, dont know they don't know, or simply don't care.

We have a responsibility to help others know what is necessary for safe towing and to be aware that we may be surrounded by those with unsafe setups. Be aware out there.

https://www.insideedition.com/headli...-hitch-them-to
Chip.....then we sit back and wait for a minute or two before we are called...
"The Weight Police"! I actually like that title though, so it kind of makes me proud to show the "don't knowers", the "don't know they don't knowers, and the "simply don't care..ers"!
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 05:34 AM   #5
CrazyCain

DW and I walk around the trailer at least 3 times checking everything and then checking it again and again before heading out..always have, always will...

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
2017 Keystone Hideout 177LHS Carlisle Radial HDs
:
CrazyCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 05:46 AM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

Smile

Personally I do an inside look then a walk around outside before leaving. My experiences flying and using check lists reinforces the importance of the walk around. My walk around isn't just visual. I physically shake or attempt to move things like the hitch components, number mounted spare tire, sewer outlet cap, etc. My brother in law was camping next to us once and asked my why I was so "paranoid"? My response, the 3 to 5 min. taken doing this is a lot less time than waiting for a tow and filling out a police report later. A few months after that he borrowed my utility trailer and guess what. Yup, he didn't latch the hitch. Fortunately it came off the ball about 500' down the road at the first stop sign. Slow speed and the chains prevented damages past a red face. Point is, he's been towing for decades. He was in a hurry and didn't have my "paranoid" habit of verifying a check list. He does now.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 08:09 AM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

I think we have many experienced towers that want to, and do, share their knowledge and experiences with newcomers. I think it is incumbent on us to try to help anyone asking for advice/help to the best of our ability with good, common sense information.

I, as I'm sure many of you, have seen all kinds of setups going down the road, many looked like some on that video. I categorize them like Chip. You see the young couple pulling a flatbed or Uhaul loaded to the gills thrown on a ball on the bumper of a 1980 Ford Ranger squatted to the ground....don't know. Just young and all they know is to throw that coupler on the ball and go. Others seem to have enough knowledge to almost be dangerous and don't know they don't know "the rest of the story", then we have those that know the rules, and possible consequences of not following the rules, who choose to ignore them and do their thing whether for expediency or just not caring; all of the above are out there.

I am truly amazed that there aren't more terrible crashes with RVs. I'm afraid the number will rise with the surge in RV sales and new owners. All I can say is keep your eyes open, keep your distance, stay totally alert and be safe. Happy, safe travels to all.

As far as walk arounds, they are a must. Plus anymore it seems it takes DW and I both to cover all the bases two or three times. I probably fall into the "paranoid" category but I don't think of it as that....sort of like "weight police". I think of it as being thorough, safe and awareness of the consequences if I fail to do what I should.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 08:30 AM   #8
Carrottop

The other point worth mentioning is not only ensuring the pin is in place but that you should use locking pins if possible while we have best intentions some people don't. All pins from the hitch to the sway control to the ball pin are locking on my rig. Yes it takes a couple more minutes to undo and lock but I have piece of mind.
2015 Nissan Armada 5.6
2021 Keystone Residence 40FLFT
Carrottop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 08:44 AM   #9
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrottop View Post
The other point worth mentioning is not only ensuring the pin is in place but that you should use locking pins if possible while we have best intentions some people don't. All pins from the hitch to the sway control to the ball pin are locking on my rig. Yes it takes a couple more minutes to undo and lock but I have piece of mind.
Great point. I use the Bolt locks that operate with my truck key. Makes it easy to use ( one less key to keep track of) and they are built very sturdy.
Old 04-08-2018, 08:57 AM   #10
Rick

I always heard NOT to use a locking pin, in case whatever’s being towed catches fire you can quickly and safely unhook the TV. Those couple of minutes while under pressure trying to find a key and unlock the lock can make a big difference. Of course, common sense takes precedence on whether to unhitch or not. Let the TV burn if need be. Items can be replaced, lives not.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 09:22 AM   #11
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
I always heard NOT to use a locking pin, in case the towed vehicle catches fire and you can safely unhook the TV. Those couple of minutes while under pressure trying to find a key and unlock the lock can make a big difference. Of course, common sense takes precedence on whether to unhitch or not. Let the TV burn if need be. Items can be replaced, lives not.
Never heard that but using that logic I guess you wouldn't lock your doors while sleeping. Personally if my camper is on fire the LAST place I want to be is in between the truck gas tank and the camper propane bottles. You would find me well off the road, after getting all living things out of the truck, with cell phone in hand calling 911.
Old 04-08-2018, 02:06 PM   #12
notanlines

Rick, think about this part of your statement: "towed vehicle catches fire and you can safely unhook the TV" An oxymoron at its best. Clip the hitch and go down the road.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 03:00 PM   #13
FlyingAroundRV

Well, it may sound stupid, but already, from that video I learned the correct way to attach the chains. I never knew they had to be crossed like that.
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 03:28 PM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingAroundRV View Post
Well, it may sound stupid, but already, from that video I learned the correct way to attach the chains. I never knew they had to be crossed like that.
Let's go through the "dealer should have done it when we picked it up" sequence:

1. ALWAYS cross the chains under the tongue. (covered in the video)
2. ALWAYS adjust your breakaway switch lanyard so that it is long enough not to pull the pin with normal maneuvering but short enough that the pin is pulled BEFORE the chains reach maximum travel. In other words, so the breakaway switch will activate and help stop your trailer while you're in PANIC MODE trying to figure out what to do next, should the trailer ever uncouple on you.
3. ALWAYS check, double check and then triple check your trailer hookup before leaving.

It doesn't do any good to "cradle the hitch" so it doesn't dig into the roadway if the trailer is going 60 MPH while you're trying to slow down in a panic stop with only two chains pulling that "freight train" behind you, slamming into your tow vehicle every time you swing the steering wheel from stop to stop trying to control a "runaway trailer" that weighs more than your tow vehicle..... ADDED: You definitely want the trailer brakes to activate, helping to slow the trailer and keep it behind your tow vehicle rather than "free wheeling" its way past you, only to be jerked back in line by chains that cradle the tongue allowing it to swing wildly from left to right as it slams into the back of your tow vehicle time after time.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 04:33 PM   #15
FlyingAroundRV

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Let's go through the "dealer should have done it when we picked it up" sequence:

1. ALWAYS cross the chains under the tongue. (covered in the video)
2. ALWAYS adjust your breakaway switch lanyard so that it is long enough not to pull the pin with normal maneuvering but short enough that the pin is pulled BEFORE the chains reach maximum travel. In other words, so the breakaway switch will activate and help stop your trailer while you're in PANIC MODE trying to figure out what to do next, should the trailer ever uncouple on you.
3. ALWAYS check, double check and then triple check your trailer hookup before leaving.

It doesn't do any good to "cradle the hitch" so it doesn't dig into the roadway if the trailer is going 60 MPH while you're trying to slow down in a panic stop with only two chains pulling that "freight train" behind you, slamming into your tow vehicle every time you swing the steering wheel from stop to stop trying to control a "runaway trailer" that weighs more than your tow vehicle..... ADDED: You definitely want the trailer brakes to activate, helping to slow the trailer and keep it behind your tow vehicle rather than "free wheeling" its way past you, only to be jerked back in line by chains that cradle the tongue allowing it to swing wildly from left to right as it slams into the back of your tow vehicle time after time.....
So much to learn! I would hope that the dealer would go through these things, but you just never know... I know that the RV industry is red-hot at the moment and the dealers are rushed off their feet (with all us boomers I guess) and there's a chance some things might be left unsaid before we leave the lot. In that, while I've been waiting to start our US trip I've used the time to scour these forums. I've already learned a lot and hopefully won't make any disastrous newby mistakes. Certainly, the hitching thing had the potential to create a disaster.
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 04:56 PM   #16
chuckster57
Site Team

It seems the quality of walkthroughs depends on the dealership. Where I work now, the tech that did the PDI is the one that does the walk. Previous dealers, one had the parts guys, and another had a salesperson (not always the one did the sale). Then there’s time. Normal out here to get 1.5 hrs which may be enough for a veteran RV’r but not near enough time for a newbie. Thank goodness my boss lets me take enough time to make sure the customer is confident enough. I make new fiver customers unhitch/ hitch up in the lot so I know they can do it when they get home.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 02:53 AM   #17
xrated

Chuckster....I would venture a pretty safe guess that you are by far the exception rather than the rule when it comes to RV Techs. And although I will probably never do business with you personally (live in E. TN), I wanted to let you know how much we appreciate you on the forum with your wealth of knowledge in the RV business. Probably all of us on here feel the same way, but just wanted you to know.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 03:57 AM   #18
RickBetterley

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
Chuckster....I would venture a pretty safe guess that you are by far the exception rather than the rule when it comes to RV Techs. And although I will probably never do business with you personally (live in E. TN), I wanted to let you know how much we appreciate you on the forum with your wealth of knowledge in the RV business. Probably all of us on here feel the same way, but just wanted you to know.

I’d like to second the admiration for chuckster’s generous sharing of knowledge.
RickBetterley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 06:25 AM   #19
cardinal96ss

Had friends arrive in NE from Seattle WA area with an overloaded horse trailer including two horses. I noticed one anti-sway bar was missing and the ball lock was not down. In fact it was safety pinned up. The whole way. He swore he hitched it up right. Some folks are just lucky.
cardinal96ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 06:35 AM   #20
66joej

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBetterley View Post
I’d like to second the admiration for chuckster’s generous sharing of knowledge.
Also a thumbs up for chucker57. Would like to have his type of tech up in this neck of the woods.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote