Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-31-2018, 04:42 PM   #21
waltheraustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltheraustin View Post
Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Also I have the equilizer 4 pt hitch

waltheraustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 10:45 AM   #22
Ken / Claudia

Good the hear the tranny is OK.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 03:50 PM   #23
waltheraustin

Just got back from a long trip and all week really well. New truck is a freight train or at least what I'm used to anyway

Old 04-01-2018, 07:38 PM   #24
sourdough
Site Team

The Equalizer 4 point is an excellent hitch. Worked pretty good with my 1/2 tons and p tires......"fine" is what I said on this forum back when. Not really.

If you aren't getting a bigger truck the best thing you can do is go to LT tires all around. If you have a truck, and are going to use it as a truck, you have to have LT tires. P tires are for cars and grocery getting - squishy. The Equalizer is really good but it can't fix a squashy truck. Sway bars are, to me, a feel good thing on a truck but don't accomplish a lot for towing. If you are going to run a sports car they can actually make a measurable difference...on a loaded truck....not so much IMO.

If your truck is being pushed around by your trailer you have an issue. Getting an EcoBoost in a 1/2 ton truck and thinking it's a towing machine isn't really right....unless you have the right combo. I've not seen your combo but have looked at your comments. Even at it's best having the EcoBoost does not make the 1/2 ton a HD truck. Not knocking the EcoBoost at all; just trying to point out that you need other equipment to make the overall truck a good TV.

I know that you have "new" tires on the truck and it's hard to justify getting LT's. Sort of like "I want to go sky diving but the chute costs too much so I'll wing it"....?

I don't know your truck or trailer specifics but I can tell you....I've been there. The corrective action is the right vehicle and equipment. The trailer I have that felt "just fine" on two 1/2 ton trucks EQUIPPED to tow (added LT tires, shocks, air bags....why?) always left me unhappy (and wore out) at the end of a long tow. The HD truck.....and I have never used this phrase on here because it's what every one told me (on this forum) it would be and I was too proud to admit it....it made the experience night and day.....maybe even better (NOW, I've admitted it!!). Just landed here at our house in TX returning from FL and the trip was a JOY. Good luck on getting your combo fixed like you need.

All that is way more than you want to hear but I would add that you need to make sure that the Equalizer is dialed in AND you have your weights in the truck/trailer set right or it will cause you grief. Good luck.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 01:25 PM   #25
waltheraustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
The Equalizer 4 point is an excellent hitch. Worked pretty good with my 1/2 tons and p tires......"fine" is what I said on this forum back when. Not really.

If you aren't getting a bigger truck the best thing you can do is go to LT tires all around. If you have a truck, and are going to use it as a truck, you have to have LT tires. P tires are for cars and grocery getting - squishy. The Equalizer is really good but it can't fix a squashy truck. Sway bars are, to me, a feel good thing on a truck but don't accomplish a lot for towing. If you are going to run a sports car they can actually make a measurable difference...on a loaded truck....not so much IMO.

If your truck is being pushed around by your trailer you have an issue. Getting an EcoBoost in a 1/2 ton truck and thinking it's a towing machine isn't really right....unless you have the right combo. I've not seen your combo but have looked at your comments. Even at it's best having the EcoBoost does not make the 1/2 ton a HD truck. Not knocking the EcoBoost at all; just trying to point out that you need other equipment to make the overall truck a good TV.

I know that you have "new" tires on the truck and it's hard to justify getting LT's. Sort of like "I want to go sky diving but the chute costs too much so I'll wing it"....?

I don't know your truck or trailer specifics but I can tell you....I've been there. The corrective action is the right vehicle and equipment. The trailer I have that felt "just fine" on two 1/2 ton trucks EQUIPPED to tow (added LT tires, shocks, air bags....why?) always left me unhappy (and wore out) at the end of a long tow. The HD truck.....and I have never used this phrase on here because it's what every one told me (on this forum) it would be and I was too proud to admit it....it made the experience night and day.....maybe even better (NOW, I've admitted it!!). Just landed here at our house in TX returning from FL and the trip was a JOY. Good luck on getting your combo fixed like you need.

All that is way more than you want to hear but I would add that you need to make sure that the Equalizer is dialed in AND you have your weights in the truck/trailer set right or it will cause you grief. Good luck.
Thanks man, no wind and not make semis make for a relaxing drive. I guess I can't control that but the one thing I didn't think about is upgrading my equalizer to the next weight group. I originally got the 10k 1000lb bars but I may need the next higher set. Can the 1200 bars be used on the 10k head? I'll Google that to see otherwise I may go after tires. I think I can get this dialed in and still enjoy the 1/2 ton twin turbo.

Old 04-02-2018, 05:12 PM   #26
Retired Copper

Been there and done that too. Just up graded from a 1/2 ton that I added Lt tires, bigger better hitch and 5100 bilstein shocks. Truck pulled great on two lane roads at max speeds about 60 mph; but get on the interstate with wind,rain and speeding semi`s. I for one did not find it to my liking even after investing all the time and money. You can do it, but with a 30 foot trailer I expect you to will always be pushed and pulled. Just because a truck is rated to pull xxxx pounds a travel trailer is just a different animal.
Equalizer 4 pt.
Retired Copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 05:22 PM   #27
waltheraustin

My brother just pulled is 6k with no wt distribution hitch and said, "those are for sissys". While I don't believe that, I do believe that everyone has their own comfort level. Upgrade in hitch and it should be good. IRV2 forums were in my same shoes and the upgraded hitch fixed their issues. I could deal with it now but itll get better

Old 04-02-2018, 07:20 PM   #28
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired Copper View Post
Been there and done that too. Just up graded from a 1/2 ton that I added Lt tires, bigger better hitch and 5100 bilstein shocks. Truck pulled great on two lane roads at max speeds about 60 mph; but get on the interstate with wind,rain and speeding semi`s. I for one did not find it to my liking even after investing all the time and money. You can do it, but with a 30 foot trailer I expect you to will always be pushed and pulled. Just because a truck is rated to pull xxxx pounds a travel trailer is just a different animal.
Well said. I had to spend serious $$$ on a sway elimination hitch but it maxed out my payload. Went to an HD Ram Megacab. I still use the Hensley but the truck is a completely different beast. At over 35 feet long, the trailer is now a pleasure to pull, even for my 5'2" wife, who has never driven a TV before. As the old cliché states, dont bring a knife to a gun fight.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 07:42 PM   #29
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltheraustin View Post
My brother just pulled is 6k with no wt distribution hitch and said, "those are for sissys". While I don't believe that, I do believe that everyone has their own comfort level. Upgrade in hitch and it should be good. IRV2 forums were in my same shoes and the upgraded hitch fixed their issues. I could deal with it now but itll get better

I don't know what your brother is pulling with but if he's pulling a 6k trailer with no WDH'/sway and a 1/2 ton truck....not to be ugly, but he's just waiting for the uh oh - maybe needs to get a few more years under his belt??.

I've pulled trailers less than that with a 1/2 ton and they can give you a pucker factor in the right situation. Without the sway/wdh if you get one of the whipping winds we get in WTX, with his setup, he will be one of the ones I watch and marvel at as they try to keep it together.....with their family inside, going from white stripe to white stripe trying to keep from hitting someone head on or heading off the side of the road. Common sense and trying to cover all the bases is the name of the game.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 08:06 PM   #30
waltheraustin

Yes, funny story is that we were moving in opposite directions at the same time luck has it. Wife said that trailer is swaying, look out. I said I'll be dammed that's my brother in the trailer I used last year hauling ***. Called him and yup, confirmed it was him. Told him he needed to get that trailer under control, lol

Crazy to have seen him in Central Texas on a road we don't use to often a good way from either of our homes.

For my wife to have seen it, it must've really been moving to.

Old 04-09-2018, 04:54 AM   #31
Nlambert

To answer the question directly... shocks didn't make any difference on wind with my 5th wheel. They did however, reduce the severity of bouncing on my 2500 Ram (5100 Bilsteins) since these are stiffer shocks. The ride quality is a lot more firm and the rebound much faster and more positive.
2012 Ram 2500 Cummins (deleted), B&W RVK3405 companion 5w hitch, Prodigy P3 controller, Bilstein 5100 shocks, 2" leveling kit, steering brace, Carli adjustable track bar, Android factory style in dash navigation
Nlambert is offline   Reply With Quote