Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-14-2016, 09:08 PM   #41
Ozarkscamper

We're about to order the 26rbi and just received a brochure dated Nov 2015 in the mail today direct from Keystone. Pg 9 of the brochure says "walkable roof" in a big circle and points to the roof. Haven't owned a Keystone for several years....sounds like we need to confirm the roof. If we can't walk on it, we'll stick with our Open Range.
Ozarkscamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 09:38 PM   #42
Festus2
Site Team

Have you tried contacting Keystone's Customer Service Dept? They have a toll free number (1-866-425-4369) or you can contact them via their website (www.keystonerv.com)

Your dealer may or may not be able to confirm this. If he says, "I think so."... I wouldn't accept this as confirmation.

Hopefully, some members who have that identical model will chime in and confirm whether or not the roof is walkable. If there is a ladder attached to the back, that is sometimes a clue about the walkability of the roof.
Old 05-15-2016, 12:18 PM   #43
bill-e

Yes, the latest brochure says 3/8" walkable roof but honestly it doesnt matter much. My 26rbi does not have a walkable roof and I'm up there all the time. 230 lbs and I use 2 foot squares of 2" blue foam board insulation to move around. I've also just stood on the trusses in a pinch. I have a Amazon $99 Aluminum Telescopic Extension Ladder that I use to get up there and I use a 2 foot square piece of 1/2" plywood with the edges covered in duct tape as a landing spot but from there I move around with the foam board.

If I had a choice walkable is better but I would in no way let the lack of it deter me from my desired floorplan. I also use a cover and have had no issues installing or removing it.

2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
2015 Cougar 26RBI
bill-e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 07:12 PM   #44
Pmedic4

Walking on roof

Even though I have a ladder on my 2012 model, I'm cautious about walking on the roof, but more concerned about just twisting my foot and tearing the roofing. I'm sure there are guys who would tell me the EPDM/TPO material is very tough, but seriously, they don't know the type of klutz I am, and yeah, I could do it.

So far, I've put off my roof cleaning and maintenance for this year, but will do it sometime here in the next month. Whatever, everyone just stay safe up there!

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 07:49 PM   #45
theeyres

I guess I just don't understand the controversy. Keystone is in the business of selling trailers. Period. If lightweight is what most people want then they will change the Cougar (and others) to provide that. End of story. If others want a heavier trailer then there will be many brands and models that provide that. Even if all manufacturers stopped building the old heavy weights, they are only responding to market demands. That's the way they stay in business.

Why do so many people moan and groan about the way it used to be? That's sort of like saying we should still be building houses with post and beam construction instead of balloon construction. Sorry, but that's the way it is.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 07:55 PM   #46
CaptnJohn

Every TT, MH, and 5er I've owned had a walkable roof. I looked at lite 5ers and settled on a Cougar 303 RLS instead. If the roof were non-walkable it would make no difference to me. In my younger days I would have done it with caution. At 68 my roof climbing days are over so the dealer will do the annual inspection and cleaning. The lite models just did not have the features we wanted and did not seem as well built. So very happy with the Cougar 303RLS 5er!

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 08:23 PM   #47
Ozarkscamper

I did contact Keystone customer service. They said they beefed the roof on xlite back up in the 2016/2017 models and they were walkable again. Thanks for the tip about walking on the foam pads. Great idea!
Ozarkscamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 03:40 AM   #48
bill-e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozarkscamper View Post
I did contact Keystone customer service. They said they beefed the roof on xlite back up in the 2016/2017 models and they were walkable again. Thanks for the tip about walking on the foam pads. Great idea!
That's good news. With my 2007 camper I felt like I could jump on it but I'm not sure I'd feel that secure even with 3/8" plywood...doesn't seem very thick.

I installed a MaxxFan Deluxe in the bath...for 2 reasons. The built in fan is crap and with the arched roof we cant reach the switch so remote was needed. And I put the MaxxAir cover on the bedroom vent...in opaque black to block out the 4am sun in the morning.

By the way we really love the floorplan and I have not had a single issue with the exception of the outside speaker channel going bad but everything is nicely fit and finished.

2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
2015 Cougar 26RBI
bill-e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 06:47 AM   #49
Marcuswillbe

Bill,

I also love my 26RBI and my next purchase will be the black MaxxAir cover. As for the fan in the bathroom, I'm 6'5 so I'm ok but not my wife so the remote will be the other purchase.

Marc
Marcuswillbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 11:30 AM   #50
UsTwo

Sitting at the campground this last weekend, wondering why I didn't have a ladder hanging off the back side of my Cougar Xlite, . now I know why.. no walkable roof.. OOps I have been up there twice now installing vent covers and a cyclone black tank vent cover. had no issues but then again I probably won't need to go back up there.. ill let the dealer do that when it comes time for roof inspection. thanks for all the answers on the subject..
Oh and I got the trlr for the floor plan..

Craig
Kathie
2013 Keystone Cougar
X-Lite 31 RKS
UsTwo is offline   Reply With Quote